Jump to content

A Silver lining from the SMU beating?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:


Our program is nothing more than a “cash cow” for the good ole boys club. No accountability  

Oh, and let me put that 1.8 million in terms one might better understand.
 

That's $150,000 a month!

$37,500 a week!!!

Think we aren’t being taken for fools? 

 
 


 

 

 

Very glad that you posted this because this and DentonStang's comments above are exactly what I believe to be wrong at UNT. This is nothing new and dates back to the early 1980's I believe. 

North Texas needs an ironclad ethics policy and enforcement level compliance program in their athletic dept.

There is NO accountability and lots of Money floating around NT athletics. It's not a lack of money at NT at least not up to this point in our history.

For those of you that work in the private sector, tell me you're a$$ would not be fired from a company where you were paid these kinds of salaries and you produced such mediocre results.

 

 

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Very glad that you posted this because this and DentonStang's comments above are exactly what I believe to be wrong at UNT. This is nothing new and dates back to the early 1980's I believe. 

North Texas needs an ironclad ethics policy and enforcement level compliance program in their athletic dept.

There is NO accountability and lots of Money floating around NT athletics. It's not a lack of money at NT at least not up to this point in our history.

For those of you that work in the private sector, tell me you're a$$ would not be fired from a company where you were paid these kinds of salaries and you produced such mediocre results.

 

 

Most in the private industry, do not have contracts.   Makes a lot of difference.

FYI, there are lots of people in the private industry who would be fired if not for connections. 

I have no idea what an ironclad ethics policy and enforcement policy has to do with NT athletes.   Please explain 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I have a new appreciation for Tom Hermann after him calling our game.  My only fear is if he didn’t want the job after seeing how far Seth has run it into the ground.

Any coach we look at should have the fire to look at us and welcome the challenge. I'm not sure how much of a "challenge" it is considering the resources a new coach would have compared to previous coaches.  If they're "scared" of how far SL has run this program "into the ground", I wouldn't want them anyways. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, TCC Mean Green said:

Maybe we just need a coach who cares…he haas no emotion…has he ever chewed out anyone?  Look at coach Bennett and KD Davis…..just no freaking PASSION!!!

Umm, and potentially make someone's girlfriend cry?

The Big Bang Theory Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

But UTSA doesn’t have the funding either not near the facilities and yet they can hang with teams like UofH and win championships.  Give me a break with all that.

UTSA has zero history of losing and has a city that had no FBS team in its boundaries. Their civic pride and their corporate neighbors have all been able to build that place up in a way that we can't do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA has zero history of losing and has a city that had no FBS team in its boundaries. Their civic pride and their corporate neighbors have all been able to build that place up in a way that we can't do. 

What have the built up exactly? They were a mediocre program no funding before Traylor arrived. Now they're a good program with no funding. Outside of football, their athletic department is a dumpster fire. The fan base has no faith in their athletics director. When Traylor leaves they very well could fall right back to being a losing program. 

They have not passed us by in terms of facilities, admin support, and alumni donations. IMO, we have an infrastructure in place to be better long term than they do. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What have the built up exactly? They were a mediocre program no funding before Traylor arrived. Now they're a good program with no funding. Outside of football, their athletic department is a dumpster fire. The fan base has no faith in their athletics director. When Traylor leaves they very well could fall right back to being a losing program. 

They have not passed us by in terms of facilities, admin support, and alumni donations. IMO, we have an infrastructure in place to be better long term than they do. 

You're correct on all of that..

But their alumni haven't been conditioned to not even care anymore like ours have for decades because of a combo of losing and being told to not care. Nor do they have a problem getting civic support, corporate sponsorships, and the biggest advantage which is media coverage. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 10:17 AM, DentonStang said:

SMU has always had money, but we were a complete trainwreck for 25 years. It's not program money or NIL(except most recent transfer class) that has elevated us.  It's structural support from the university and good coach hires. But even a good coach looks incompetent without admin support. That's where you need to look to improve. That's why UTSA is going from nothing to blowing by you with NO money or facilities or history. 

Where does, say, Chad Morris, rank on that list of “good coach hires?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, keith said:

Where does, say, Chad Morris, rank on that list of “good coach hires?”

Not Nick Saban, but he left the program better than he found it and was reasonably competent. He went as far as he was capable and left at the right time. Can't say that about any pre-June Jones hire like Bennett or Cavan.

  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Not Nick Saban, but he left the program better than he found it and was reasonably competent. He went as far as he was capable and left at the right time. Can't say that about any pre-June Jones hire like Bennett or Cavan.

.389 winning percentage <> Nick Saban.  That checks out. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Not Nick Saban, but he left the program better than he found it and was reasonably competent. He went as far as he was capable and left at the right time. Can't say that about any pre-June Jones hire like Bennett or Cavan.

Ask Arkansas their opinion of Chad Morris; lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Ask Arkansas their opinion of Chad Morris; lol.

We probably have the same opinion.  After some of the unbelievably incompetent and dysfunctional programs we have had to deal with, Morris can be both a moderate improvement for us and a disaster in the SEC.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, TCC Mean Green said:

Maybe we just need a coach who cares…he haas no emotion…has he ever chewed out anyone?  Look at coach Bennett and KD Davis…..just no freaking PASSION!!!

I tend to agree with you.  A good coach would hold these people accountable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2022 at 5:52 PM, Rudy said:

Any coach we look at should have the fire to look at us and welcome the challenge. I'm not sure how much of a "challenge" it is considering the resources a new coach would have compared to previous coaches.  If they're "scared" of how far SL has run this program "into the ground", I wouldn't want them anyways. 

Agreed. Any coach worth their weight in anything will look at the most bottom of the barrel programs and believe they can turn it around. Coaches are cocky SOBs like that. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Agreed. Any coach worth their weight in anything will look at the most bottom of the barrel programs and believe they can turn it around. Coaches are cocky SOBs like that. 

The problem, though, is NIL. SMU and Tulane have deep pockets to buy recruits, while Memphis and UTSA have big corporate sponsors to help with this. I can't imagine Temple, Tulsa, and Rice wouldn't be the same as SMU and Tulane if they want to do that. And USF, UAB, and Charlotte also have the same opportunities that Memphis and UTSA have taken advantage of with corporate sponsors helping the programs. 

Coaches are cocky, but anyone who looks at this place and thinks we can compete with teams that are buying players and have coaching staffs making double what we pay, that's gonna be bordering on insanity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The problem, though, is NIL. SMU and Tulane have deep pockets to buy recruits, while Memphis and UTSA have big corporate sponsors to help with this. I can't imagine Temple, Tulsa, and Rice wouldn't be the same as SMU and Tulane if they want to do that. And USF, UAB, and Charlotte also have the same opportunities that Memphis and UTSA have taken advantage of with corporate sponsors helping the programs. 

Coaches are cocky, but anyone who looks at this place and thinks we can compete with teams that are buying players and have coaching staffs making double what we pay, that's gonna be bordering on insanity.

You keep referencing these lucrative corporate sponsorships for UTSA. Mind expanding on that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.