A Silver lining from the SMU beating?

Tom McKrackin

59 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They're also corporate sponsors of UTSA Athletics

But that doesn't mean anything without knowing details on the sponsorship. Are they paying UTSA millions of dollars? I doubt it. I'm guessing every FBS school has corporate sponsors. UNT has them with Marriot, Coca-Cola, Whataburger, Raising Canes, etc. 

• Puking Eagle 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, Pellom said:

SMU cannot be the bar for this program. We don’t have their funding. We don’t have their support levels. We don’t recruit the same athletes. 

We’ve beaten them 6 times in 100 years. 

I’m not suggesting changes don’t need to be made - I’m just saying the rest of the season will have more bearing on a coaching change than losing to a team playing a different sport than us. 

You do realize a lot of “lower revenue” teams consistently win above what their budget dictates.  If NIL and Transfer portal had been around for a decade I might agree with this “budget is everything” take.  This is first year we could use NIL as an excuse.  They played very sloppy and quarterback is just plain inaccurate.  He throws below 55% completions.   You won’t have an accurate assessment of the offensive talent if the quarterback can time, see, or hit open receivers 75% of the time.  Mind you I am not asking for 75% completions, I am asking for 75% catchable balls.   If a professional analyzed his game play and came back saying he throws on time, and on target 65% of the plays he gets adequate blocking I would be shock.  Teams with budgets similar to SMU will be regular foes.   Since 2002 Navy is 9-4 vs SMU.  You think Navy doesn’t have huge disadvantages to SMU.  How many prime football athletes are transferring to Navy.  How many hot young offense/quarterback guru coaches are anxious to coach at Navy?  We play the same sport what you are talking about is SMART EFFORT.  I see NONE of that from leadership here.  Always happy with the minimum if the coach is a little guy you want to have a beer with.  Dominate your conference and get snarky they will fire you the first opportunity.  

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn’t surprising news…I’m just amazed at how some of our fans just can’t handle the realities of UTSA having a location perfectly made for NIL and corporate sponsorship that we don’t have in Denton. Some people think I exaggerate this difference—exact opposite in reality. We don’t have the advantages that UTSA has for their school and program. And it isnt exactly hard to see that. Is it tough to recognize that? Of course it is…but it’s all a part of what separates us from the other FBS programs in this state. UTSA isn’t selling a program that breeds apathy and loathing from its hometown. And they have media outlets that cover them closely, which we don’t. We have the DRC and the NT Daily, two entities that aren’t exactly known to be the biggest fans of UNT Sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

On 10/3/2022 at 9:33 PM, untjim1995 said:

This wasn’t surprising news…I’m just amazed at how some of our fans just can’t handle the realities of UTSA having a location perfectly made for NIL and corporate sponsorship that we don’t have in Denton. Some people think I exaggerate this difference—exact opposite in reality. We don’t have the advantages that UTSA has for their school and program. And it isnt exactly hard to see that. Is it tough to recognize that? Of course it is…but it’s all a part of what separates us from the other FBS programs in this state. UTSA isn’t selling a program that breeds apathy and loathing from its hometown. And they have media outlets that cover them closely, which we don’t. We have the DRC and the NT Daily, two entities that aren’t exactly known to be the biggest fans of UNT Sports.

Stop making these tired excuses.  I am from Denton and the “loathing” is overblown.  This program has had several opportunities over the years to change it reputation locally and blew it every time.  Losing to La Tech on the auspicious occasion of unveiling mean Joe Green’s statue 2 weeks after getting national love for beating Arkansas soundly.  (This is just the most recent example).   They would go on that season to lose up UAB in their second season coming back from shuttering their program for a year.  They topped that disappointment by losing to powerhouse ODU who only started playing at the FBS level in 2014.   Not done squandering all their momentum they topped off that season getting destroyed on national TV* by Utah State.  Giddy in the off-season for ALMOST doing something they gave Seth a raise and extended him till 2023.  If you win here people will open their pockets and show up to games.  Follow up with me on my theory when we win.  The ONLY significant advantage UTSA has over us is not having a long history of losing most of the time.  The program has EARNED that reputation 

One of Seth’s few big wins against a good team was against UTSA with a perfect record.  This program has NEVER been 6-0

*Please note that since the Arkansas game was on the SEC Network and the Bowl game beat down was on ESPN main; it is highly likely more TV viewers saw us get embarrassed live than saw the Arkansas game live.*

Below is Apogee Stadium 9/10/2011.  We weren’t coming off Championship.  We were coming off a bad season and just hired McCarney.  How many games below 0.500 do you think this program is from then till now knowing McCarney got fired with only one winning season here and Seth under 0.500 right now?  I posted a picture from last Saturday can you guess what created that “apathy”?  I remember Dallas Cowboys games being blacked out locally in Laundry’s last years.  The ownership was losing money and they sold.  Jerry is a lot of things that aren’t good as the owner but at least he understood you can’t sell a loser no matter where the freaking market is!   

E6901BFF-FC92-4ED5-8CB8-3C751E3D3ABB.jpeg.41198bab632eda0c724870f6d606c01b.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Stop making these tired excuses.  I am from Denton and the “loathing” is overblown.  This program has had several opportunities over the years to change it reputation locally and blew it every time.  Losing to La Tech on the auspicious occasion of unveiling mean Joe Green’s statue 2 weeks after getting national love for beating Arkansas soundly.  (This is just the most recent example).   They would go on that season to lose up UAB in their second season coming back from shuttering their program for a year.  They topped that disappointment by losing to powerhouse ODU who only started playing at the FBS level in 2014.   Not done squandering all their momentum they topped off that season getting destroyed on national TV* by Utah State.  Giddy in the off-season for ALMOST doing something they gave Seth a raise and extended him till 2023.  If you win here people will open their pockets and show up to games.  Follow up with me on my theory when we win.  The ONLY significant advantage UTSA has over us is not having a long history of losing most of the time.  The program has EARNED that reputation 

One of Seth’s few big wins against a good team was against UTSA with a perfect record.  This program has NEVER been 6-0

*Please note that since the Arkansas game was on the SEC Network and the Bowl game beat down was on ESPN main; it is highly likely more TV viewers saw us get embarrassed live than saw the Arkansas game live.*

Below is Apogee Stadium 9/10/2011.  We weren’t coming off Championship.  We were coming off a bad season and just hired McCarney.  How many games below 0.500 do you think this program is from then till now knowing McCarney got fired with only one winning season here and Seth under 0.500 right now?  I posted a picture from last Saturday can you guess what created that “apathy”?  I remember Dallas Cowboys games being blacked out locally in Laundry’s last years.  The ownership was losing money and they sold.  Jerry is a lot of things that aren’t good as the owner but at least he understood you can’t sell a loser no matter where the freaking market is!   

E6901BFF-FC92-4ED5-8CB8-3C751E3D3ABB.jpeg.41198bab632eda0c724870f6d606c01b.jpeg

You chose a picture of a the stadium’s home opener against a ranked in-state opponent to show that Denton supports us? Thank God that UH brought fans or wouldn’t have even been remotely close to a sellout…which we have never had.

Look, UNT winning big would draw people. There’s no doubt or argument about this. But the problem is that we don’t ever really do that. And DFW doesn’t care a bit about us, so we get no coverage of any decent level.

UTSA doesn’t deal with this, which is what this is all about.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You chose a picture of a the stadium’s home opener against a ranked in-state opponent to show that Denton supports us? Thank God that UH brought fans or wouldn’t have even been remotely close to a sellout…which we have never had.

Look, UNT winning big would draw people. There’s no doubt or argument about this. But the problem is that we don’t ever really do that. And DFW doesn’t care a bit about us, so we get no coverage of any decent level.

His point is that fans show up when momentum is going good. His follow up point was that UNT always, ALWAYS disappoints during rides of momentum. This program has been on the momentum mountain side on its way to the peak, but has never made it to the peak. There is evidence that suggests that are fans lurking around waiting for UNT to be good so they can don on their green and show up. UNT hasn't gave them a reason lately. Quit being such a damn debbie downer all the time. It's insufferable. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

No one was showing up en masse to UTSA games last year until they were about 7-0. They deal with apathy just like us. Stop acting like they’re some giant, unstoppable force in G5 football. They still lack administrative and alumni $ support. They couldn’t even fund an actual indoor practice facility. 
And the DFW media doesn’t care about us because we’ve never given them a reason to. If we started 11-0 and ranked in the top 25, they would LOVE us. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

His point is that fans show up when momentum is going good. His follow up point was that UNT always, ALWAYS disappoints during rides of momentum. This program has been on the momentum mountain side on its way to the peak, but has never made it to the peak. There is evidence that suggests that are fans lurking around waiting for UNT to be good so they can don on their green and show up. UNT hasn't gave them a reason lately. Quit being such a damn debbie downer all the time. It's insufferable. 

Ignore me if you want. You aren't exactly a ray of sunshine to me, either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

No one was showing up en masse to UTSA games last year until they were about 7-0. They deal with apathy just like us. Stop acting like they’re some giant, unstoppable force in G5 football. They still lack administrative and alumni $ support. They couldn’t even fund an actual indoor practice facility. 
And the DFW media doesn’t care about us because we’ve never given them a reason to. If we started 11-0 and ranked in the top 25, they would LOVE us. 

There is no doubt that you are correct about that last part--absolutely no argument. All I'm saying is the fairly obvious point that UTSA doesn't have the issues we have with corporate NIL deals and media coverage, as well as not having the apathy and losing to deal with like we have. Their advantages will make up for the administrative and alumni support in the long run, as it has already shown when they have momentum.

Look, they had their Tony Benford hire in Frank Wilson, who took over a program that had high expectations and just crushed it into the ground. They eventually fired him after we were pounding them and they went and made a very good hire to combat that. They've jumped ahead, nothing more, nothing less. But my point is that winning there SHOULD be easier than it is here, for many of the reasons I've stated. What SL accomplished in 2017 and 2018 is much harder than many people on this board want to admit or recognize. We have won 9 games in a season 4 times since 1979. Doing that in back-to-back seasons in Denton is basically amazing when you put that into perspective.

Now tell me how it should be different because of Apogee, the AAC, funding increases, size of Denton, Denton County, and DFW to draw from, and that we are a sleeping giant...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, they had their Tony Benford hire in Frank Wilson, who took over a program that had high expectations and just crushed it into the ground.

But Frank Wilson could at least recruit well.  Most would agree Wilson outrecruited Littrell the entire time he was there.  I just fear Wren et al forget about how important recruiting is at the G5 level.  And the Littrell model of going after d2 portal players is not the answer either even though we have hit on a couple.

• Upvote 1

Just now, meangreenfaninno said:

But Frank Wilson could at least recruit well.  Most would agree Wilson outrecruited Littrell the entire time he was there.  I just fear Wren et al forget about how important recruiting is at the G5 level.  And the Littrell model of going after d2 portal players is not the answer either even though we have hit on a couple.

Totally agree

• Upvote 1

There are many “half century & up” MG fans on GMG.  I think we would all agree that MG football has not been consistent in winning enough to get a consistent groundswell of support.  Yet when the MG have snuck in a few wins, our attendance has been worthy of stadium expansion blueprints.

I think back to the 2014 bowl win in the Cotton Bowl/HOD bowl game.  With almost 40,000 MG fans there that day, it became our Nirvana. UNT super alum George Derr had the quote of that day saying: “Fellers, I think back to a time when all we Fouts Field fans were on a first name basis.” 😆

We have to plan for a 50,000 enrollment university that most believe with consistent winning will draw many , many new fans. We set an Apogee UNT student attendance record not that long ago.  It was a beaut’ to behold, yet it only scratched the surface of what could be.  
Now we UNT alums & Denton County need to come forward.  A season by season UNT winning football program makes all the pieces of our puzzle fit nicely.

GMG!

FE4244FA-8D4B-46FA-9F84-2884146E72E3.jpeg.0c35d3bf427239b7cf99b9e278aa530b.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

For those of you that work in the private sector, tell me you're a$$ would not be fired from a company where you were paid these kinds of salaries and you produced such mediocre results.

Exactly we had a virtually empty stadium Saturday.  And it wasn’t because we have a team devoid of quality talent that should be competitive for a division title.   Yet you have some “fans” on this board blaming everything under the Sun except a decade plus of sub 0.500 football while playing in a weak conference.  Perpetually underachieve WITHOUT having titles and storied rich football history, I don’t care where your school is your stadium will be less than half full.  Then leadership sends a message that “mediocre is acceptable” by bringing Seth back for years 6 and 7.   The apathy in this market is WELL EARNED we need to stop having conversations on this board that makes it sound like we don’t realize that.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We haven’t even gotten to or past 7-0 mark.  UTSA did that after signing their FIRST recruiting class in 2010.  The DFW market doesn’t care about any underachieving sports team not named Dallas Cowboys.  And the Cowboys have 5 Championships when they just had 2 with that last one more than a decade in the past games were blacked out locally.   Why is that so hard to understand and accept. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Their advantages will make up for the administrative and alumni support in the long run, as it has already shown when they have momentum

Momentum isn’t Ike the Force in the Star Wars universe.  This program is crappy cause it chose to be for 3 decades. The NIL is brand new.  UTSA’s whole program is brand new.  And they achieved more in CUSA than us.  THAT IS 100% INEXCUSABLE and UNEXPLAINABLE for a University of our size, facilities and length of time we have been playing football.  I am so tired of this woe is us attitude here lauding 9 win seasons as near impossible here.  🙄.  If that is your sincere opinion of this program why put yourself through the agony of supporting it?  Because from the way you describe we don’t need a Gary Patterson we need a Saintly combination of Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowen, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and John Wooden here for 20 years before we can expect over 0.500 football in a G5 conference.  UAB folded their program, rebooted it and still kicked our ass. That didn’t have squat to do with all the stuff you are talking about.  Their program would have never folded if all the overblown factors you are citing here were the end all and be all for success.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

If we had a season like UTSA had last year (starting 11-0) the difference in coverage and support wouldn't be close. Ours would be 10X what UTSA got last year.

We need a HC. Marketing this program both locally in Denton, in Texas and even nationally would be the easiest job in America if we had a HC that got us nationally ranked. The same problem that burdens us (long history) is what would help us if we started winning. People actually know who we are...we DO have a history. Even though it may not seem like it now, this ship could turn around much faster than a start up program like UTSA. No one knows anything about them...they're still an extension of the UT System.

Remember when Cincy had about 3,000 people in NO when they played us in the NO Bowl in '01? Now look at Cincy. All they did was hire good head coaches and start winning.

Nothing else really matters for UNT. Win and EVERYTHING gets better. UTSA is still UT at San Antonio. They started 11-0 last year and no one really noticed outside of San Antonio. Plus DFW is a bigger media market. We got more coverage beating a horrible Arkansas team 1 game then they did and they were top 25.

All about the head coach. And 9 win seasons won't do it.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1