Jump to content

A Silver lining from the SMU beating?


Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2022 at 8:02 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

Maybe it forced us to look

in the mirror and see where we really are.  Changes are needed.

That is comically sad.  We can’t get rid of a coach who is the epitome of mediocre in “all 3 phases”.  We sign him to unwarranted extensions for doing the minimum here with the resources available to this program.  At best he is a mediocre G5 FBS coach at worse he is bad coach that probably should be at the high school level.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Maybe it forced us to look

in the mirror and see where we really are.  Changes are needed.

SMU cannot be the bar for this program. We don’t have their funding. We don’t have their support levels. We don’t recruit the same athletes. 
 

We’ve beaten them 6 times in 100 years. 
 

I’m not suggesting changes don’t need to be made - I’m just saying the rest of the season will have more bearing on a coaching change than losing to a team playing a different sport than us. 

  • Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only silver lining I took away was when Tom Herman (Commentator for the game) said, "I spoke with the AD yesterday" and for a moment I pictured him saying to him, "I could do better for half what you're paying your guy." 

Not saying Herman is/would/could/should be our next HC but there was a glimmer of hope that perhaps the AD talking football with a guy who's led bigger programs at higher levels with more success, that it may have turned on a light in the AD's head that there other HC candidates in the world if we let SL go.

At the very least, if I were in WB's shoes, I would've invited Herman for a drink in the suite after the game to get his thoughts on the game.  

The AD is not a football person, like him or not, tom Herman is, getting feedback and insight from a guy like that who's unlikely to have any interest in the job could have provided a deeper insight and perspective for the AD; this is assuming the AD is humble and is committed to continual growth and learning.

 

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

The only silver lining I took away was when Tom Herman (Commentator for the game) said, "I spoke with the AD yesterday" and for a moment I pictured him saying to him, "I could do better for half what you're paying your guy." 

Not saying Herman is/would/could/should be our next HC but there was a glimmer of hope that perhaps the AD talking football with a guy who's led bigger programs at higher levels with more success, that it may have turned on a light in the AD's head that there other HC candidates in the world if we let SL go.

At the very least, if I were in WB's shoes, I would've invited Herman for a drink in the suite after the game to get his thoughts on the game.  

The AD is not a football person, like him or not, tom Herman is, getting feedback and insight from a guy like that who's unlikely to have any interest in the job could have provided a deeper insight and perspective for the AD; this is assuming the AD is humble and is committed to continual growth and learning.

 

It’s difficult to fire a friend. 
 

What’s even worse is putting that friendship above the good of the program and the FANS! 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

The only silver lining I took away was when Tom Herman (Commentator for the game) said, "I spoke with the AD yesterday" and for a moment I pictured him saying to him, "I could do better for half what you're paying your guy." 

Not saying Herman is/would/could/should be our next HC but there was a glimmer of hope that perhaps the AD talking football with a guy who's led bigger programs at higher levels with more success, that it may have turned on a light in the AD's head that there other HC candidates in the world if we let SL go.

At the very least, if I were in WB's shoes, I would've invited Herman for a drink in the suite after the game to get his thoughts on the game.  

The AD is not a football person, like him or not, tom Herman is, getting feedback and insight from a guy like that who's unlikely to have any interest in the job could have provided a deeper insight and perspective for the AD; this is assuming the AD is humble and is committed to continual growth and learning.

 

I have a new appreciation for Tom Hermann after him calling our game.  My only fear is if he didn’t want the job after seeing how far Seth has run it into the ground.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big game Seth showed up again.

1-6 vs SMU

0-5 in bowl games 

0fer against UofH

But has taken care of UTSA

Yes, we should be able to compete. There is a talent gap (speed and size) and also development gap. QB is a serious issue. 
 

Justin Fuente or Graham please.

Edited by UNT Family Man
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

But UTSA doesn’t have the funding either not near the facilities and yet they can hang with teams like UofH and win championships.  Give me a break with all that.

They’ve been on a good run, no doubt about it. Traylor is a great recruiter - something we sorely need. We’ll see where they stand once he gets a bigger job. 
 

Again, I’m not taking a pro-Littrell stance. I think it’s very clear he’s on the hot seat and probably needs 7 wins to keep his job. I just think that’s very doable in this conference. 
 

I tweeted this last night, but essentially I think the best case scenario is that we win 7-8 games this season and Littrell parlays that success into a low level P5 job. It’s clear Wren doesn’t think much of him otherwise he’d already have an extension. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

SMU has always had money, but we were a complete trainwreck for 25 years. It's not program money or NIL(except most recent transfer class) that has elevated us.  It's structural support from the university and good coach hires. But even a good coach looks incompetent without admin support. That's where you need to look to improve. That's why UTSA is going from nothing to blowing by you with NO money or facilities or history. 

I told 2 people on GMG 3 years ago to “watch out for utsa.” They have a big stadium & a big destination tourist city & when they start winning—watch out. 
In fact, they so remind me of UH in 1965 when the Coogs moved to the Astrodome. UH had a large stadium & a big city.  That’s when my teenage years favorite college team started making hay all the way to SWC membership.  
I like UNT’s future & our enrollment & thus alumnus forecast is still key to that.  Just add winning & someone will at some point. It’s inevitable. Only a hater would think otherwise.

 

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I told 2 people on GMG 3 years ago to “watch out for utsa.” They have a big stadium & a big destination tourist city & when they start winning—watch out. 
In fact, they so remind me of UH in 1965 when the Coogs moved to the Astrodome. UH had a large stadium & a big city.  That’s when my teenage years favorite college team started making hay all the way to SWC membership.  
I like UNT’s future & our enrollment & thus alumnus forecast is still key to that.  Just add winning & someone will at some point. It’s inevitable. Only a hater would think otherwise.

 

GMG

Look around you. Time is of the essence. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

It’s inevitable. Only a hater would think otherwise.

I quabble with it being inevitable.  

You've got to make moves, things don't just happen on their own.  

Right now, the only movement I see is further backwards, with no reason right now to believe this will change.

Either make a move to prevent further sliding into the abyss of irrelevancy or the only thing inevitable is we will continue digging a bigger hole someone else will have to try and dig us out of.

Take the shovel out of SL's hands.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

SMU cannot be the bar for this program. We don’t have their funding. We don’t have their support levels. We don’t recruit the same athletes. 
 

We’ve beaten them 6 times in 100 years. 
 

I’m not suggesting changes don’t need to be made - I’m just saying the rest of the season will have more bearing on a coaching change than losing to a team playing a different sport than us. 

That is a really defeatist take.  

UNT has the resources, facilities, and infrastructure to be competitive in the AAC and the top end of the G5.  As previously cited schools like App State, UTSA, San Diego State, etc. have achieved success in football with less advantages than UNT.

SMU is an anomaly and probably shouldn't be the bar but it doesn't mean UNT can't be a 8 plus win program consistently.  There is probably no school in the country better positioned to thrive in the transfer/NIL world than SMU. 

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know things are bad in Denton when fans think beating SMU is impossible to even hope for in the future.

They've been in the AAC eight years and have had a winning conference record only once. Two years they went 1-7.

Yes, they are better than UNT today. They blew us up real good. But better forever?

Have a little faith that our neighbors will live up to their stadium namesake and fall down. And we'll find a head coach someday who isn't completely over his head. If Louisiana could find Billy Napier there are coaches out there who can win here.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SMU2006 said:

That is a really defeatist take.  

UNT has the resources, facilities, and infrastructure to be competitive in the AAC and the top end of the G5.  As previously cited schools like App State, UTSA, San Diego State, etc. have achieved success in football with less advantages than UNT.

SMU is an anomaly and probably shouldn't be the bar but it doesn't mean UNT can't be a 8 plus win program consistently.  There is probably no school in the country better positioned to thrive in the transfer/NIL world than SMU. 

It’s not a defeatist take - we’re essentially saying the same thing. SMU is going to be at the top of the new AAC. That should look like 10 wins or so a year. 
 

UNT is not close to that level right now - we should be winning 8 games in the CUSA, no doubt. But the gulf between the middle of CUSA and the middle of the AAC is wiiiide. 
 

We’ve got to hire a coach who can recruit. It’s as simple as that. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.