Here’s what happens if you fire Littrell during the season

On 9/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Last night was the definition of mass chaos. It really doesn’t get much lower than that. Many coaches have been fired for way less. It’s pretty obvious the players don’t like or trust the coaches and tbh, some players just aren’t good enough. I think a total shake up is what this program needs and it needs to happen soon. 

And conversely you could say the coaches don't trust the players as we all saw the conservative decisions when the game was out of hand.   And remember all the scholarship players came here via a coaches invitation.  So either they are poor evaluators of talent or can't coach up that talent to get the best of of them.  

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

As always, it comes down to money we don’t have or won’t be allowed to spend. Either way, a contributing fan has to accept that it’s not about winning here…it’s always about cost.

And that is exactly why I am only a MGSF contributer and not a season ticket holder.   Cost isn't an excuse.  They thought outside the box and brought in Todd Dodge for cheap.   It didn't work out because they went cheap around him and didn't put guardrails assistance around a coach new to FBS.    SL never should have been the highest paid coach in CUSA.  This is a good G5 HC job with a long list of reasons making it better than more than half our conference rivals especially before realignment and NIL.  We don't have overpay experienced coaches to put the program in a budget crunch.  Finding a good head coach you can 750k per year before he actually wins something isn't out the box going cheap route.  It is exactly what other G5 programs do.

• Upvote 3

I think you’re on to something.  Let’s all stop supporting the athletics program and all stop attending games.  Then, when checks start bouncing and Fletcher’s takes a bunch of corn dogs home, Wren will get the message.  And, when he starts looking for a new coach, prospects will look at attendance and contributions and think to themselves,  “this is where I want to coach. “

Pretty simple.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I think you’re on to something.  Let’s all stop supporting the athletics program and all stop attending games.  Then, when checks start bouncing and Fletcher’s takes a bunch of corn dogs home, Wren will get the message.  And, when he starts looking for a new coach, prospects will look at attendance and contributions and think to themselves,  “this is where I want to coach. “

Pretty simple.

GO MEAN GREEN

I think people have already stopped supporting the athletic program….let’s see what the attendance is Saturday…pretty sure that will show people have stopped coming to games. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Finding a good head coach you can 750k per year before he actually wins something isn't out the box going cheap route.  It is exactly what other G5 programs do.

It's not what anybody in the AAC does. The lowest salary in the AAC is $1.5 million.

Just because we're getting much less we paid for in Littrell doesn't mean we should go back to trying to win on the cheap.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think waiting until the end of October is to late, unless you already have your next coach lined up.  Personally I think the cut off date to make a decision is October 1st, that will be the halfway point of the season, they should know then if they want to make a change for the following season.  Not saying they fire him that day, just that that would be the time to start looking for a new coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I think waiting until the end of October is to late, unless you already have your next coach lined up.  Personally I think the cut off date to make a decision is October 1st, that will be the halfway point of the season, they should know then if they want to make a change for the following season.  Not saying they fire him that day, just that that would be the time to start looking for a new coach.

What in the world makes you think the end of October is too late?!? The coaching carousel won’t even get started until the end of November. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We’re more likely to be 6-2 after UTSA than 2-6. Have you seen our schedule? 

Have you seen us play? We don't have a qb?  I sure this week we will the wildcat with not qb on the field, why bother.

Maybe SL comes to work tomorrow to turn in his keys and say he is done.  When I saw running up the tunnel before the half was over I was shocked.  He doesn't talk to anyone on the sidelines.  I almost think he wants to be fired.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What in the world makes you think the end of October is too late?!? The coaching carousel won’t even get started until the end of November. 

This! Not to mention, in the world of agents, consultants, and search firms, should WB decide to make a move, conversations happen before anyone even knows they’re happening.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Have you seen us play? We don't have a qb?  I sure this week we will the wildcat with not qb on the field, why bother.

Maybe SL comes to work tomorrow to turn in his keys and say he is done.  When I saw running up the tunnel before the half was over I was shocked.  He doesn't talk to anyone on the sidelines.  I almost think he wants to be fired.

The teams coming up on our schedule are closer to UTEP than SMU talent wise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We’re more likely to be 6-2 after UTSA than 2-6. Have you seen our schedule? 

What kind of argument is this?
Because there are teams on our schedule that are garbage means we're OK with being slightly better than garbage?

If Memphis does the same thing that SMU just did to us... and UTSA will likely do to us in the controlled Alamodome climate...  that's 3 upcoming DIVISIONAL OPPONENTS in next year's conference wiping the floor with NT this year.   We simply cannot lose to teams that we're supposed to be equal to like that.  I don't care what the other teams on our schedule look like.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What kind of argument is this?
Because there are teams on our schedule that are garbage means we're OK with being slightly better than garbage?

If Memphis does the same thing that SMU just did to us... and UTSA will likely do to us in the controlled Alamodome climate...  that's 3 upcoming DIVISIONAL OPPONENTS in next year's conference wiping the floor with NT this year.   We simply cannot lose to teams that we're supposed to be equal to like that.  I don't care what the other teams on our schedule look like.

It wasn't an argument? A previous poster said they think we'll be 2-6 and I 100% disagree based on our upcoming schedule. I think we win our next 2 games to get to 3-1, which sets us up with another put up or shut up game vs Memphis. After that we have 2 more very winnable games (FAU, La Tech) before heading to UTSA. 

For what its worth, I agree with what you're saying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Y’all still aren’t seeing the point of this.

Firing a head coach mid season is not worth it, but if y’all want to see a disaster, let’s have SL fired.

I understand this line of thinking - but what is the difference between a disaster (let’s say 3-4 wins) or 6 wins if the end result means firing the coach regardless? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It wasn't an argument? A previous poster said they think we'll be 2-6 and I 100% disagree based on our upcoming schedule. I think we win our next 2 games to get to 3-1, which sets us up with another put up or shut up game vs Memphis. After that we have 2 more very winnable games (FAU, La Tech) before heading to UTSA. 

For what its worth, I agree with what you're saying. 

Fair enough.
I just hope that winding up with a winning record VS a pretty weak schedule doesn't cause some here (or more importantly WB/NS) to pause and think we're "righting the ship" again like we did late last year.   
There has to be more forward thinking going on up there than what it seems.   

Now, beat Memphis & hang with/beat UTSA, and maybe we're onto something.   
Who knows?  Maybe Lashlee is the next big thing and he has SMU playing at an ultra high level in year 1?   
Same with UTEP, who depending on who was prognosticating, was flip-flopped with us for the #5/#6 spots in C-USA preseason standings.   They could be just awful, and finish closer to the bottom as per their usual.
I suppose we won't really know until we're midway through the season.  

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fair enough.
I just hope that winding up with a winning record VS a pretty weak schedule doesn't cause some here (or more importantly WB/NS) to pause and think we're "righting the ship" again like we did late last year.   
There has to be more forward thinking going on up there than what it seems.   

Now, beat Memphis & hang with/beat UTSA, and maybe we're onto something.   
Who knows?  Maybe Lashlee is the next big thing and he has SMU playing at an ultra high level in year 1?   
Same with UTEP, who depending on who was prognosticating, was flip-flopped with us for the #5/#6 spots in C-USA preseason standings.   They could be just awful, and finish closer to the bottom as per their usual.
I suppose we won't really know until we're midway through the season.  

I agree, its too early to draw any conclusions. That's why I thought it was crazy so many here were screaming for Littrell to be fired after Saturday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2