Here’s what happens if you fire Littrell during the season

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Y’all still aren’t seeing the point of this.

Firing a head coach mid season is not worth it, but if y’all want to see a disaster, let’s have SL fired.

That is simply not true, you place PB as interim HC and energize the fanbase that we are making a change. 

What is chaos and destruction is Seth losing the team and having a complete meltdown year. I have heard more and more rumors that he is losing the team. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

We can't wait until the end of the season to make the change. We tried that last year and people got fooled by that smoke and mirrors win streak. 

This dumpster fire is not going to miraculously get put out. Seth wanted that K State job and was gutted when he didn't get it. He has not been the same since. It's past time. It needs to be done b

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

@UNTLifer…you told me we had the money and that’s not why SL was still here when I said it was clearly the money that was keeping him here. 

Sounds like Wren Baker is saying it’s the money…

Talking coaching budget and the ability to buy out a contract are two different things. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Man, I can’t disagree with the OPs take any more.

1. Instantly re-ignites the fanbase.  There’s a light at the end of the tunnel for us, & a coaching search is always fun to follow.

2. More-importantly, it re-ignites the players.  They know the old adage regarding the definition of insanity.  Someone else calling the final shots (even if so or one currently here) will bring a breath of fresh air & lighten expectations, which should in-turn, allow them to play more relaxed & have fun again.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

That is simply not true, you place PB as interim HC and energize the fanbase that we are making a change. 

What is chaos and destruction is Seth losing the team and having a complete meltdown year. I have heard more and more rumors that he is losing the team. 

Bennett won’t take it.   It would be Bloesch.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Talking coaching budget and the ability to buy out a contract are two different things. 

True, but that WB podcast makes the argument that paying a buyout and then another coach is very difficult when the costs are high. 

Ask yourself this. Why would SL have been retained after his third straight losing season, with two years remaining on the biggest contract ever given out by our alma mater? And then factor in that one of, if not the biggest donors, is on record that SL is like a son to him…

As always, it comes down to money we don’t have or won’t be allowed to spend. Either way, a contributing fan has to accept that it’s not about winning here…it’s always about cost.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

We been told at ever level money is not an issue. And the damage it does to the fanbase is also a cost. 

You know we don’t run things here on “opportunity” costs…never have, never will. We run on KNOWN costs. Except for McCarney, who was bought out ASAP after the worst loss in modern college football history, all coaches in revenue sports here have been bought out when it’s deemed affordable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Rudy said:

We can't wait until the end of the season to make the change. We tried that last year and people got fooled by that smoke and mirrors win streak. 

This dumpster fire is not going to miraculously get put out. Seth wanted that K State job and was gutted when he didn't get it. He has not been the same since. It's past time. It needs to be done b

Exactly.   You will lose more of the fan base the longer this is allowed to slowly sink.  Give the fans some excitement to come back this season with a preview with a different coach/interim, it doesn't have to be permanent.  But staying the same road with Seth will only lead to more fan's finding other options to spend their time and $$ on.  And some will never come back!   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The only reason you don’t fire him during the season js to prevent having an interim coach. The problem with having an interim coach is that you are now forced by the fanbase to consider them as a permanent candidate if they have even marginally better success than the fired HC. 

Imagine last year we fire Littrell and then Bloesch or Mainord took over and led us on the 5 win streak, you really think people would’ve let Wren hire someone else? We need a clean break from the entire staff at season’s end unless a dramatic improvement shocks us all. As of now we know we are far from AAC ready and there is nobody on the current staff that can get us there. We will need new blood that can bring us the players and gameplan to compete at the higher levels of G5 football.

Yep.  We saw it when McCarney was fired.  There were a ton of people chomping to let Chico have a shot.  It’s the same reason we see a ton of people asking for Graham Harrell to come back as well.  Familiarity.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You know we don’t run things here on “opportunity” costs…never have, never will. We run on KNOWN costs. Except for McCarney, who was bought out ASAP after the worst loss in modern college football history, all coaches in revenue sports here have been bought out when it’s deemed affordable. 

Keeping him will run off more of that revenue this sport generates.  Just watch the attendance sink.  It's also a perception hit on UNT Athletics in general.  It was a bad look for the program with 5 minutes left in the game on National TV seeing an empty stadium except for the band.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

True, but that WB podcast makes the argument that paying a buyout and then another coach is very difficult when the costs are high. 

Ask yourself this. Why would SL have been retained after his third straight losing season, with two years remaining on the biggest contract ever given out by our alma mater? And then factor in that one of, if not the biggest donors, is on record that SL is like a son to him…

As always, it comes down to money we don’t have or won’t be allowed to spend. Either way, a contributing fan has to accept that it’s not about winning here…it’s always about cost.

Then WB needs to get off his over paid ass and start finding more donors, quit making excuses, WB's job is fundraising, the AD is getting paid more money than ever before, results should be shown on attendance, Donors, etc... Not just wins on the fields of play

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, untbowler said:

Then WB needs to get off his over paid ass and start finding more donors, quit making excuses, WB's job is fundraising, the AD is getting paid more money than ever before, results should be shown on attendance, Donors, etc... Not just wins on the fields of play

You do know that we kept the last guy, who was much worse at everything than WB at everything you mentioned, for 17 YEARS??

Wren Baker ain’t leaving and he ain’t getting any pressure, unless we start falling out of budget…which was what RV was brilliant at doing.

• RV 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, untjim1995 said:

You do know that we kept the last guy, who was much worse at everything than WB at everything you mentioned, for 17 YEARS??

Wren Baker ain’t leaving and he ain’t getting any pressure, unless we start falling out of budget…which was what RV was brilliant at doing.

ok and your point, BOR just gave WB a fat raise and sounds like the game day experience yesterday was horrible and probably ran off many casual fans irrespective of the ass kicking. All of the Apogee issues should fall on WB, as for RV yes they kept him to long, but we are now paying WB well above G5 market rate, with the best success coming from BB and SB, while rest of sports ok with being average. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I'm hoping all of you wanting to fire coaches and paying out contracts are current in your Mean Green Scholarship Fund commitments.  Is everybody here a season ticket holder ?

Probably not because most of us saw this coming once Littrell was retained and refused to go to games coached by Littrell. And before you say it, yes, I donate to both the school and athletics department but refuse to watch the garbage product they’ve been putting on the field live

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

if they did fire SL what would we have to talk about.  How we don't have a qb, how we cant cover the pass (except Gaddy)

I love me some Gaddie but he got smoked last night just like the rest of them. The only players that looked like they could’ve been starters for SMU were Adaway and Davis. They were bigger, stronger, and faster across the board. That was a P5 roster we played last night. Don’t believe me? Look at the offer lists.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

Keeping him will run off more of that revenue this sport generates.  Just watch the attendance sink.  It's also a perception hit on UNT Athletics in general.  It was a bad look for the program with 5 minutes left in the game on National TV seeing an empty stadium except for the band.

Completely agree…and when have you seen this place care about that?

19 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well for starters, that would be the dumbest move by Wren Baker ever. To fire someone during the season, it takes a hell of a lot of bad to do that. Why create mass chaos within the university, athletic department, and locker room?

I think you have that backwards. The new early signing period is incentive to terminate a coach as early as possible in a season, conduct a national search for the best replacement, have him arrange his future staff, and have them recruiting by Thanksgiving. This is why WKU and USC pulled the trigger within the first two weeks of the season. And remember, this is Texas, and per state law the coaching job has to be open and posted for a month before being accepted by a candidate.

Any delay, and gawd forgive, waiting until the end of the season, is incredibly detrimental to the future of the program. If you're sure "the dog just don't hunt no more", then you pull that trigger as soon as possible.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yep.  We saw it when McCarney was fired.  There were a ton of people chomping to let Chico have a shot.  It’s the same reason we see a ton of people asking for Graham Harrell to come back as well.  Familiarity.

I'm not sure if you're getting confused, but no one wanted Chico hired as head coach his second time as interim.  It was his first time as interim after Dodge was fired that there was a movement among the players (e.g., Lance Dunbar) and students to keep Chico as head coach permanently.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not sure if you're getting confused, but no one wanted Chico hired as head coach his second time as interim.  It was his first time as interim after Dodge was fired that there was a movement among the players (e.g., Lance Dunbar) and students to keep Chico as head coach permanently.

Oh wow.  You’re right, I totally forgot Chico was interim here twice.  How wheels-off is that?!?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh wow.  You’re right, I totally forgot Chico was interim here twice.  How wheels-off is that?!?

I think the worry the second go around was that he’d try to campaign for the job again and his wife or somebody was on here trying to make his case. It was a bad situation both times. I don’t know if I hated having an interim for Dodge and McCarney worse or having Dickey fired and allowed to finish out the season worse.

• Upvote 2