A lot of upset people...

NorthTexasWeLove

I will say this for Wren: he was walking around the parking lot a couple of hours before the game stopping in to say hi to the various tailgating groups. We chatted for a few minutes and I got a picture with him. I think he knew my face, not my name. I think the last AD that knew my face and my name was Fred McCain.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

My God, Wren Baker is not gonna even feel a bit of heat because of this…none. 

Any athletic game day failure falls on him. I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning him on Twitter and not for good reasons. I’m sure a lot of those people will send emails to the athletic department too. If all else fails, he’ll know based on lack of attendance which is sure to come the rest of the season

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I'm as frustrated as anybody, and I admit to being a bit of a Wren homer, but hear me out. Football is, essentially, the only major sport at UNT that hasn't seen some level of demonstrable success in the last six years, and to be fair, we were rolling with tremendous upside under Littrell heading into 2019. 

I would implore people to just wait until he has the opportunity to make his football hire. Yes, it's overdue, but the extension at the time was deserved for SL and Wren has overwhelmingly contributed to improving our brand. Hell, this sorry team is gonna be competing in a vastly superior conference starting next year because of WB. He needs to get SL out the door ASAP. It's a band aid that needs to be ripped off and there's no other way to put it, but I've said it before, until we were 1-6 last year there wasn't really a right moment to do it and we rattled off five straight wins. Should he have made the rip by now? Definitely. I can assure you we are much closer to the end of the SL tenure than the beginning here and Wren's track record at heading an athletic department leads me to believe he will make a considerable upgrade. 

Edited by WanderingEagle
  • Upvote 10
  • RV 4
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

This is just not true. The BRAND is worse in the last 6 years. There's no excitement. We can't even sell out a local bowl game in a tiny ass stadium. You can't give tickets away to this brand. How was the attendance to the CUSA basketball championship game? How about the coach roadshow? How's that branding? It's pathetic.

You and I have different definitions of pathetic.  If I had sum up our inability to consistently win, in addition to our culture of apathy, I would call it frustrating.

I've seen pathetic, and we are not it.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

All the good things he’s done don’t mean anything if our football program isn’t any good. Just the truth of the college athletics world. 

He’s ultimately responsible for all of it. 

And I'll add, doing good things doesn't mean he gets a pass for the bad. You look at successful programs, the really successful ones, and they fire at "good." Great gets you a bit more time but at a certain point you bring in somebody else to keep building on the last guy's successes.

Nothing wrong to let go of "good" to bring in somebody else to take us to the next level.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

All the good things he’s done don’t mean anything if our football program isn’t any good. Just the truth of the college athletics world. 

He’s ultimately responsible for all of it. 

It took us 17 years, Iirc, to fire RV, the guy Wren Baker laps in comparison as an AD.

Wren Baker ain’t getting any heat for this. That’s not how we roll.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

If people are still complaining, you're ok. It means they still have care somewhere in their being. But as I waited 30 minutes to not move down Bonnie Brae to my assigned parking - I just found myself being done. I'm just so tired of how assed everything is with our program. I ended up paying $25 to park in the red lot, so my kids and their friends could catch kick off.

I could see there was ONE person letting people into the assigned lot. ONE. There were no traffic cops.

I will ended up missing kick-off because the damn electronic ticket machine by the AD can't read NFC and i have to swipe though 7 hub club tickets. Then I have to swipe through 7 hub club tickets to get into the club.... Only to have to swipe though them again once I'm at the top. Give me my damn tickets to wear around my neck. My kids don't have phones. Their friends don't have phones. Jesus. For the face price of the ticket, you'd think it would come gold plated.

There's never ice in the drink machine. There's never paper towels in the bathroom. The game is never on the radio. 

It's just a clown show and I'm tired of shelling out over $1000 a game to not only see absolute shit on the field - but stuff 100% controllable - is rarely good. 

I'm just spent on spending for this crap. The product is terrible. I'm in an abusive relationship with this program. I can't leave because for some reason I have good memories here and there.. but nothing recently. Just people looking at me blank stared when I try to give tickets away "but it comes with catered dinner, comes with parking pass, don't worry about that $200 ticket price - I just want them used." Nothing. I can't even give them away. I've seen people walk away over the years and i never really got it. I'm starting to get it.

Why do I have to dry my hands on the back of my shorts and slip and slide on pee in the bougie hub club? 

Anyhow - how about that product on the field? 😅

This is exactly how I feel.  Been a season ticket holder, mean green club/mgsf member, etc since 2001.  Last night was a terrible experience.

The parking for blue lot was a joke.  To be there an hour before kickoff and not make it in by kickoff would have been acceptable if the game had been attended well.  I’d just kick myself for not getting there early and tailgate all day (like I do just about every other year but couldn’t this year).  Big crowds equal logistics problems, you know.  Its damn near inexcusable when we walked in to a half empty stadium.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 6

I went to the ticket office and had them print me tickets for the game.  If the scanners are down you can always take the ticket when we enter the stadium.  They had one person scanning tickets for the blue lot and she told they had equipment problems and that is why there was only one person.  I give this game day an F, from parking, score board on the north side and the product on the field. I saw a linebacker (who is starter) seem to lose his focus on the game. They pulled him out during when the game was way of hand.  Perhaps to make sure he didn't get hurt but he was not happy about it.  SL should resign and get a OC coordinator at a P-5 school.  He make more money and have less pressure.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 7

Why do we always have to wait for a coach to send us back to the dark ages before we move on. Seth should have been gone last year.  New coach this year would have brought excitement,  yr after would be new conference.  Now we will be rebuilding in a tougher conference.  Our future conference mate wiped the floor with us. We didn't belong on the field with them

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

...and I don't think I've seen anyone really mention Wren Baker. 

I have enough respect for him (WB) right now for the work he's done as a whole with our program to say "he doesn't have the fortitude to make a coaching change right now."

If I didn't have that respect for him, I'd say "he doesn't have the balls to do it."

Both are true but he's earned enough respect from me to give hime a break on the bashing for the moment.  

Today, most are talking about SL, but that will change quickly to people talking about the AD, as this post appropriately points out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The AD doesn't deserve any better at this point (regarding football). If he wants to wear an OU hat, I really don't care. This guy wearing an OU hat while working at Apogee during game day is the least of our worries.

Maybe he simply really hates UTEP and will be on his third hat (NMSU) next week. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3