Two non-football observations

jazzer88

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I tweeted about this thread and major concerns I had, and UNT just responded.

Oh man, I just saw this.  How embarrassing. I can't even rib y'all about it.  Worse than Dykes ripping off our stuff at TCU.  You need a new AD to go along with your new HC.

At least I can say we were there once. It can get better. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Oh man, I just saw this.  How embarrassing. I can't even rib y'all about it.  Worse than Dykes ripping off our stuff at TCU.  You need a new AD to go along with your new HC.

At least I can say we were there once. It can get better. 

That was a fan made flag, not athletic department.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, Joeseph Whitaker said:

From the time we exited North Texas Blvd. we waited 1.5 hours to get in, missed the first 10 minutes of the game.  

Also agree with @jazzer88, store has been complete disaster for several years, no new shirts, hats, hoodies.  I used to look forward to a new sideline polo every year, I’m still wearing my 2019 polo.

I've long thought that UNT has the worst setup and game plan when it comes to how it handles all of their apparel. You hardly ever see them in stores and the worst part of it is all UNT apparel is grossly expensive. There has to be a ton more suppliers out there that can make apparel that is far more affordable than what they continuously give us every damn year.

If there's a reason why we don't see more and more people buy NT apparel, I just think it's availability and mainly the ridiculous costs.

• Upvote 3

Dallas has been using that "triple D" logo for 50 years - and SMU is now claiming it is theirs? That's fine and all since they are located in Dallas, but all the pearl clutching on ownership is kind of funny. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

My friend said the parking attendants in Blue lot were selling tickets to drive ups and usually they are reserved only.  He thinks they oversold the available spaces which led to the problems.

This is done every year and it slows down the entrance to the lot. How hard is it to have a line for passes and a line for purchases? And then to oversell the lot...

• Upvote 4

I showed up towards end of the 1st quarter. when the game was already 14-0, so that was fun knowing what we were walking into. Parked in the lot across where old fouts was and didn't have issues finding parking there. From reading folks experience in the blue lot.. yeah I will not poor salt in the wound.. 

We bought tickets at the ticket booth by the wing, there were lines and a lot of people waited in line at the SMU will call one only to find a SMU rep working that booth to tell them they are in wrong line. Not sure I can have an opinion as that my be the norm for how these things are done, but I there definitely would have been a more customer service friendly experience if they just had a way to just sell tickets in all lines. But shame on me for not buying them on my phone. 

Walked around stadium, there seemed to be lines everywhere for food and drinks. During the game, my buddy and I went to grab ourselves some beers and the wives some wine. Saw the Wing Pub, and I am glad I asked the yellow shirts security if we can take the alcohol out to our seats before walking in and buying, because I would have been mad that I had purchased all that. Maybe I missed a sign or something, but I just dont understand why that rule.  Luckily I realized one of the free standing beer vendors had mini boxed wines, so we purchased that all there. They did not have water for purchase, so I went to one of the concessions to buy 2 bottles of water and they didn't have cash to pay me the $5 in change I should have received. I just told them to not worry about it. 

The PA system is atrocious, there were times it would make loud hissing noises that was ear piercing. I have heard better sounding systems at small town high school stadiums. 

Didn't have any issues leaving the stadium, but I left after it was apparent UNT was not going to be able to come back for a win in the 3rd quarter. Pretty much most of the stadium was vacating at that point anyways.. 

Wish I could have seen the store, to see what you all are talking about. But maybe it is better that way as it just would have made me disappointed. It is hard enough to buy gear, so the stadium store is missing a big opportunity to make sales for people who don't want to buy their gear on on some sports apparel site for once.   

After reading all of the less than happy people on the game day experience is just concerning. Everyone knows that the culture behind football at UNT is an uphill battle to build. So I really hope they take your feedback seriously, because making it difficult to go to a game is going to hurt attendance. But getting steamrolled by a future conference rival and one that shares the metroplex with us on top of crap customer service. Why would someone choose to go through that? 

• Upvote 5

My day:

Got to Denton in the early afternoon and after seeing some friends, went to Voertman's to purchase some new t-shirts for me and my son.  Found one my son like but I couldn't find anything.  That store is sad compared to what it used to be.  I don't think I will ever go back.  We left there and headed to Academy, even though I had heard about it on here.  There selection was even worse.  On the way out, one of their employees asked if we were able to find what we were looking for.  I told them I was in town for the game and was looking for North Texas items and that I was shocked that had so little and were featuring UT.  He told me he understood but it was a corporate decision.  I responded that I knew it wasn't his fault, but that it was not good.  Left there and headed to Rally House.

Rally House had the best selection of items and I found a couple of shirts, staff were great, had North Texas items right at the entrance, along with SMU, and a large selection at the front/left of the store.  I even knocked a few UT items on the floor.

Left there and went to get a bite to eat, headed to the stadium, was going to park in the Blue Lot, but after not moving for 15 minutes at 4:45 or so, I u-turned and parked on the streets in Cement City for free, walked across the bridge and hung out in the Alumni Pavilion until the rest of my party arrived.  It was a little crowded, but they had a buffet and drinks and we were able to watch the end of the UH/utsa game.  Did watch the line of cars not moving on Bonnie Brae for a while.  When the rest of our party arrived, we walked around to Gate 2, no line, scanned in and were in our seats within 5 minutes.  We used to concessions near our seats and never had an issue with soft drinks, water, popcorn or a burger.  Sorry so many had a bad experience.

PA system and connectivity still suck after all these years.  Bad feedback, the announcer talking over pre-recorded material, the constant smu logo, bad music selections, etc...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My day:

Got to Denton in the early afternoon and after seeing some friends, went to Voertman's to purchase some new t-shirts for me and my son.  Found one my son like but I couldn't find anything.  That store is sad compared to what it used to be.  I don't think I will ever go back.  We left there and headed to Academy, even though I had heard about it on here.  There selection was even worse.  On the way out, one of their employees asked if we were able to find what we were looking for.  I told them I was in town for the game and was looking for North Texas items and that I was shocked that had so little and were featuring UT.  He told me he understood but it was a corporate decision.  I responded that I knew it wasn't his fault, but that it was not good.  Left there and headed to Rally House.

Rally House had the best selection of items and I found a couple of shirts, staff were great, had North Texas items right at the entrance, along with SMU, and a large selection at the front/left of the store.  I even knocked a few UT items on the floor.

Left there and went to get a bite to eat, headed to the stadium, was going to park in the Blue Lot, but after not moving for 15 minutes at 4:45 or so, I u-turned and parked on the streets in Cement City for free, walked across the bridge and hung out in the Alumni Pavilion until the rest of my party arrived.  It was a little crowded, but they had a buffet and drinks and we were able to watch the end of the UH/utsa game.  Did watch the line of cars not moving on Bonnie Brae for a while.  When the rest of our party arrived, we walked around to Gate 2, no line, scanned in and were in our seats within 5 minutes.  We used to concessions near our seats and never had an issue with soft drinks, water, popcorn or a burger.  Sorry so many had a bad experience.

PA system and connectivity still suck after all these years.  Bad feedback, the announcer talking over pre-recorded material, the constant smu logo, bad music selections, etc...

They showed the SMU logo so much I started to think I was in Dallas. Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

They showed the SMU logo so much I started to think I was in Dallas. Ridiculous. 

Could it be that SMU paid UNT to show their logo so much?  I don’t know but they do recruit that area heavily.  And like little lap dogs we took their money.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:12 PM, Coffee and TV said:

Overheard some people behind me say they pre paid for the blue lot, waited 30 minutes in line to it only to be told it was full.

I was also prepaid in the blue lot.  After 35 minutes of single lane driving I finally got to the scanner about game time.  They also told me that the lot was full but since I had a Handicap tag that I could go in and see if there's a handicap spot.  Luckily, I found one so that I didn't have to go about 200 yards to the other side of the road.

My bigger gripe was that the bumper to bumper traffic on Bonnie Brae was for the cash lot.  There was a lot of breaking in line and people that couldn't push in line would cross the I35W bridge and turnaround and come back.  That caused even more of a bottleneck.

• Upvote 1