***OFFICIAL GMG SMU vs. UNT IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Typical asshole comment from an SMU fan. Look my problem is not NIL my problem is pay for play. So pull your crap away  and admit that SMU benefits from legalized cheating

Wow.  Classy.

"Legalized" cheating.  lol.  And pay for play has been around for decades.  Only difference now is that its out in the open.  UNT stands to benefit from it just like every other program in the country.

• Downvote 4

Attended the game and couldn’t follow this thread due to the ridiculous lack of connectivity in Apogee, but probably better off. Not going back and reading all of the comments but here is my take from being at the game. 

1.  We came out tight, once again, in a big game coached by SL. 
2.  Out offensive game plan as boring. Dink and dunk and run the clock, which is fine, but you have to make the defense respect you. No shots down field, Aune never kept the ball on the read even when he had clear running lanes, etc. You have to keep the defense honest. 
3.  Stupid mistakes and penalties coming out of timeouts. 
4.  I love Ridge Texada. Kid gives his all and is a pretty good cover corner,  it it is tough when you are giving up 5”+ to the WR. 
5.  I sat in the Alumni Pavilion pregame and watched the slow crawl to the Blue Lot. I was actually in that line for 10 minutes around 4:45pm and u-turned out of it. I went and found a place to park and walked over. Eleven years in that stadium and still a cluster. 
6.  I honestly don’t feel that we were over matched on the field. We were over matched because SL can’t get it done. 
7.  I would remove SL and replace him with Cobbs in the interim. 
8.  I didn’t think we would beat SMU this year, but too many bad mistakes that lead back to preparation. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Do you work for free?

These kids bust their asses year round for the enjoyment of a bunch of middle aged men.  Whatever money they make is earned.

I don't think anyone is against these kids getting a little money. But it's basically NFL free agency without contracts. You can buy a team or player if you want, toss it aside the next year. Folks used to play for a school they wanted to, that's what we are cheering for.

I'm not inclined to cheer for the random QB at the school who won the bidding war. If I want to watch NFL, I'll watch NFL. College distinction is now gone, and I'm hard pressed to stay interested in watching who paid the most for their wins.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Wow.  Classy.

"Legalized" cheating.  lol.  And pay for play has been around for decades.  Only difference now is that its out in the open.  UNT stands to benefit from it just like every other program in the country.

I understand the fact that the kids need to be compensated. However I'm guessing an SMU full ride with all the benefits is probably worth $60,000 a year. So don't say they're not getting something out of it. Also, it is a little ironic that SMU fan is now coming out almost bragging about the fact that they've been paying for players for years.  So your pride factor is not in the fact that your school can build a program you're in a fortunate situation where you have alumni that can pay for players. So yes it is ironic in a way that the SMU way of pay for your way and never earn it benefits in the new era of NIL

• Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

However I'm guessing an SMU full ride with all the benefits is probably worth $60,000 a year. So don't say they're not getting something out of it.

Just to add to this point.

Full scholarship student-athletes walk across the stage with the same degree as non-scholarship students less the $$$$ of student-debt.

If you have no student-debt, you can't understand what it's like to be making those payments over years. 

If you have no student-debt because you worked a full-time job going to school, barely getting by, you get it.

Both signed up for it, not complaining about student-debt, but to say they're "playing for free" is disrespectful to a majority of the student body at the majority of schools.

All make or have made some sort of sacrifice, let's not make it out to be more than it is.  Given the choice a majority would pick playing football or some other game "for free" over graduating with student-debt.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Yeah its so terrible now that kids can be financially compensated for representing your university and have the ability to transfer to a school where they may be closer to home or get more playing time.  

When it’s not done on a basis of equality yea it is. It’s called amateur sports…. They already get a free degree which saves them hundreds of thousands in debt. Something many are forced to carry. NCAA dropped the ball and now without a massive change and regulation college sports will just be a joke. High school sports are next… but I assume by then another country who doesn’t play that bull crap game will move in so maybe not a concern anyway….

• Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

No school will benefit more from the NIL than SMU. James and Dickerson is now legal. They are paying more than most P5’s. Our only hope is that they do move to another conference.

Makes you wonder why Rice isn't riding the pay-to-play bus more. They aren't a poor school and this is their ticket out of the dumpster.

Then again, Rice has always been slightly more than half interested in paying a small amount of the attention they probably should be to the program, which is largely less than what half the competing school are.

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Typical asshole comment from an SMU fan. Look my problem is not NIL my problem is pay for play. So pull your crap away  and admit that SMU benefits from legalized cheating

That's why we offer a $36k annual compensation for all football athletes regardless of position on the depth chart. Please let your players know. 

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

No school will benefit more from the NIL than SMU. James and Dickerson is now legal. They are paying more than most P5’s. Our only hope is that they do move to another conference.

Craig James swears he never took any money and simply let his dinger do the talking and followed his girlfriend to SMU. Admitting to this is more shameful than simply saying you took advantage of the situation and got yourself a new Camaro at 19. Therefore I am inclined to believe he did not get any money playing for the pony Expre$$. I'm sure he knew a lot of players were on the take though. 

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I understand the fact that the kids need to be compensated. However I'm guessing an SMU full ride with all the benefits is probably worth $60,000 a year. So don't say they're not getting something out of it. Also, it is a little ironic that SMU fan is now coming out almost bragging about the fact that they've been paying for players for years.  So your pride factor is not in the fact that your school can build a program you're in a fortunate situation where you have alumni that can pay for players. So yes it is ironic in a way that the SMU way of pay for your way and never earn it benefits in the new era of NIL

On the CBS broadcast last night, the commentator said each SMU player was receiving at least 36,000.

• Upvote 1