***OFFICIAL GMG SMU vs. UNT IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Maybe so, I will admit this was my first time seeing him. He didn’t make a good first impression. 

But maybe next week against Texas Southern will show something different?

Maybe. I don't know. He'd been hurt a year. He showed something early in his career and is now on his 3rd school/ system/ coaching staff. I just know you can't make this kind of determination by 2 series or a game against FCS. Give him 2 games and then see where we're at.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Maybe. I don't know. He'd been hurt a year. He showed something early in his career and is now on his 3rd school/ system/ coaching staff. I just know you can't make this kind of determination by 2 series or a game against FCS. Give him 2 games and then see where we're at.

Seth is trying desperately to win now. Any other QB starts outside of Aune and it’s a sign the season is done. It’s eye opening just because of how bad Aune is. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

SMU fans made numerous observations about how they knew our run was coming because it was obvious we don’t trust our passing game. Pretty one dimensional offense from our “offensive guru”

Again what was the positive of bringing Seth back this year.  I really hate being critical directly at this point so can we start calling him Jason Garrett?   They are so similar.   Much like Garrett, Seth has unwarranted favor with decision makers here.  He is an offensive guru that doesn't coach that side of the ball nor does he strategically manage the game.  Watching the game you would think SL was the brand new head coach with a new coaching staff opening a game on the road and not Laslee.  Gunnell should have played every series after the 1st series of the second half OR the best QB available not named Aune.  So pissed they have  gave Jason--err I mean SL another year to be mediocre. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You really expected him to come in and be great in his first game in years?

Not to mention with wrs that were generally covered and an offensive line that was going through the motions. 

Neither of those factors made him throw below the feet of the RB when he scrambled. I know throwing on the run isn’t ideal but a quick toss to the back is basic. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree he was not the reason We lost tonight. Terrible Defense and a very bad game plan.

No he wasn't the reason for the lost.  But he is HUGE part of the reason they couldn't score 20 points tonight or put any pressure on the SMU offense to keep pace with them. He had a very typical stat line for him for all the games he has played here which are sub 55% completions and sub 250 yards.   Those numbers running any "air raid" offensive is not winning many games.   Losing sucks but your offense looking we are still trying to convert from an old school QB under center pro style offense to a spread/air raid offense makes watching them unbearable.  When we win it is either in spite of Aune's subpar play or his bus driving is just enough to compliment our run game.  This guy ceiling is lower than a good QB's floor.  So he should have a very short leash for the rest of the year.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Udomann said:

Seth seems to deep in thought.
"Do I need 2 moving trucks... or 3?"

Reminds me of a guy I work with. Said his dad came home one day when he was about 20 and asked him "How many boxes do you need?" He asked "What?" His dad then replied "How many boxes do you need? So you can get the f*** out." Wren needs to ask SL the same question.

• Upvote 2

You better be tough as nails to be a receiver on this team.  Every ball is late or under thrown (not to mention all the throws into double and triple coverage WTF), allowing any separation to be closed down and meaning you’re always fighting for the ball or catching in traffic.  Absolutely zero opportunities for YAC.  Our QBs are almost as bad as the last days of DannyMac.  It’s sad.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Can’t wait to see y’all blame Aune for that “pick” that Roberts vomited away

Above all it was a terrible play call as evidenced by the 3 on 1 that Robert’s found himself in.  But yes, that pick was more on Aune.  Robert’s wasn’t going to score because there were 3 smu players between him and the end zone, but that ball by Aune was lobbed up high.  Robert’s had to slow down and reach for that ball, which is why smu defenders were able to get up under him and cause the bobble.  Throw that with zip, chest high or lower, and further toward the sideline and he doesn’t have to slow up, shields the ball with his body, and worst case drops it or gets cut at the knees for no gain.

To be fair, it’s probably not something he has to get right in practice as slow as our DBs are.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I didn't say a thing about Aune in this game.  

I was just responded to your criticism of a QB who has not thrown in a game in years. 

The QB play for NT was bad, but so was everything else with a few exceptions.  I did think the rbs ran hard and Addaway actually had a good game.  

That’s fair. I hope you are about Gunnell just being rusty but I haven’t seen anything from him since he got to Denton that said he was good. I’ve noticed all camp that he has the weakest arm out of him, Ruder, and Aune. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Random Mean Green person stops me mid aisle at Buccee's Denton looking mad as hell and tells me his son is a player and expresses his disappoinment.  He then tells me that according to his son, all the players dislike the coaching staff and say they have no energy. 

No idea who this guy's son is, but I believe every word he said.

At least the Lovelace Family likes Littrell!

Makes me wonder how many of our good player jump ship if Wren doesn't make a change.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Makes me wonder how many of our good player jump ship if Wren doesn't make a change.

If you go to the away games that involve airplanes but aren't the sexy non-con games in fun locales you start to run into the player parents.  They often chat you up just because they see you regularly on flights or sitting in the visitor section.  Often they ask "what player is yours" and they look dumbfounded when we say something like "I just thought we'd fly to Hattiesburg etc to see them play." That being said, not a single player parent I've seen in the past few years looks happy. Even Mason's mother was mad as hell his last season here in the stands. 

Another example was the Murphy twins' parents. They were both the nicest people, we even joked about just carpooling rental cars at one point because we shared so many flights.  But I was not surprised at all when they both got out of here as quick as they could.  The father and mother's face said it all at every away game I saw them at.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

SMU is going to tear up a lot of defenses this year.  Mordecai is playing at an elite level and we've massively upgraded our depth and skill talent through the transfer portal.  If he stays healthy we'll put up 40 points on everyone we play except maybe Cincinnati.

I wouldn't write off the season b/c of this game from a UNT perspective.  I thought UNT was able to run the ball effectively and just made some seriously killer mistakes in the red zone.  

UNT will not face an offense of SMU's caliber the rest of the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, SMU2006 said:

SMU is going to tear up a lot of defenses this year.  Mordecai is playing at an elite level and we've massively upgraded our depth and skill talent through the transfer portal.  If he stays healthy we'll put up 40 points on everyone we play except maybe Cincinnati.

I wouldn't write off the season b/c of this game from a UNT perspective.  I thought UNT was able to run the ball effectively and just made some seriously killer mistakes in the red zone.  

UNT will not face an offense of SMU's caliber the rest of the season.

You guys have the potential to be really good. Sadly, I'm not sure if kicking our asses is a reflection of your potential. But you guys took us to the shed and there was never a doubt. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

If you go to the away games that involve airplanes but aren't the sexy non-con games in fun locales you start to run into the player parents.  They often chat you up just because they see you regularly on flights or sitting in the visitor section.  Often they ask "what player is yours" and they look dumbfounded when we say something like "I just thought we'd fly to Hattiesburg etc to see them play." That being said, not a single player parent I've seen in the past few years looks happy. Even Mason's mother was mad as hell his last season here in the stands. 

Another example was the Murphy twins' parents. They were both the nicest people, we even joked about just carpooling rental cars at one point because we shared so many flights.  But I was not surprised at all when they both got out of here as quick as they could.  The father and mother's face said it all at every away game I saw them at.

In the age of NIL and the Portal of Hell you have to be concerned that our good young players will be recruited away. With the complete lack of controls and the spineless NCAA I am sure we have players receiving calls weekly. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

In the age of NIL and the Portal of Hell you have to be concerned that our good young players will be recruited away. With the complete lack of controls and the spineless NCAA I am sure we have players receiving calls weekly. 

Yeah its so terrible now that kids can be financially compensated for representing your university and have the ability to transfer to a school where they may be closer to home or get more playing time.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Yeah its so terrible now that kids can be financially compensated for representing your university and have the ability to transfer to a school where they may be closer to home or get more playing time.  

Typical asshole comment from an SMU fan. Look my problem is not NIL my problem is pay for play. So pull your crap away  and admit that SMU benefits from legalized cheating

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1