DRC: Friday Q&A with Billy Embody of On The Pony Express

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, Old Denton said:

OK, when has he seen the current players play for SMU?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/smu-football-mustangs-prediction-preview-2022

In his first season at SMU, Tanner Mordecai led the AAC with 3,628 yards passing, and his 39 touchdowns ranked fifth nationally.

Rashee Rice, the team leader in receptions with 64, figures to be the main target.

Tre Siggers, who rushed for 727 yards and nine TDs, returns along with strong short-yardage back Tyler Lavine.

• Upvote 1

I think that’s an honest and fair assessment or prediction by Billy. 

Look, I’ve bled green for 52 years but seriously, should we win it will be seen only as a major upset. 

Mordecai will more than likely shred our secondary at will. 

Of course a little slippery rain might make it a tad more even. 

Go Mean Green. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/smu-football-mustangs-prediction-preview-2022

In his first season at SMU, Tanner Mordecai led the AAC with 3,628 yards passing, and his 39 touchdowns ranked fifth nationally.

Rashee Rice, the team leader in receptions with 64, figures to be the main target.

Tre Siggers, who rushed for 727 yards and nine TDs, returns along with strong short-yardage back Tyler Lavine.

Last year against us:

Rice 4 receptions for 99 yards and 1 TD (long of 62 yards)

Siggers 10 rushes for 51 yards

Lavine 2 rushes for 2 yards and 1 reception for -1 yard.

I will take the above minus the big play to Rice.  Have to keep him in front of us.

Mordecai was 21 of 33 for 311 yards, 4 TD's and 2 Int's.  Need to reduce the yardage and TD's as well as the completion % and the almost 15 yards per completion.  The rest is pretty new.  We have to control the clock on offense and no big plays on D.  He will be the best QB we will face all year.  Just reduce the big plays.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Mordecai will more than likely shred our secondary at will. 

The problem isn't necessarily his arm or his receivers. Yes, that is dangerous, but if we manage to take that away, he can scramble. If you cover down field and then he just runs all over you. It's what happened last year from what I remember. And one thing Bennett's defense is usually not good against is the QB scramble.

• Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The problem isn't necessarily his arm or his receivers. Yes, that is dangerous, but if we manage to take that away, he can scramble. If you cover down field and then he just runs all over you. It's what happened last year from what I remember. And one thing Bennett's defense is usually not good against is the QB scramble.

100% BS take. Go pull the numbers of rushing yards by QB opponents last year.  Then let's talk.

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I wouldn't call him a threat on the ground, but he is just mobile enough to keep defenses honest.

He had 7 carries against last year for about 30 yards.  2 of those converted for 1st downs, and a third potential 1st down run was called back for holding.

8 hours ago, All About UNT said:

100% BS take. Go pull the numbers of rushing yards by QB opponents last year.  Then let's talk.

I don't remember the stats, I just remember frequently having 3rd down conversions from QBs that extended drives throughout last season, especially early on.  As greenminer pointed out, two of his scrambles went for 1st down conversions against us and those are defensive momentum killers.