UNT AD expecting a big crowd for SMU

meangreen11

Really this is our marketing plan for the game with SMUT? UTEP was out selling tickets this summer for our game.   Correct me if I am wrong but I think this the first thing I have seen about the game?   Rain chance are down to 15% on Saturday so that is good thing.  Our fan base melts when it gets wet.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

For attendance it is also what happens before game. If it is raining all day it can be an issue regardless of game time weather.  Now I really like the temperature range for tomorrow, staying under 90 degrees is awesome. 

Another worry is lighting. I forget the protocol. If there are delays that might hurt also. 

SatDentSept032022.png

• Upvote 3

Doesn’t the approximate 1,000 (+/-) bandsmen scheduled for UNT Band Day tomorrow count as a promo? 

Many of those bandsmen parents & friends will want to come see Johnny & Susie toot their horns. Be interesting to know where they will be seated.

Take a break—This photo totally unrelated to this thread. 

6F602D7F-5BCE-4589-A340-9A9A77FB5305.jpeg.64cdacf55b23f53ab886e5df124773da.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Really this is our marketing plan for the game with SMUT? UTEP was out selling tickets this summer for our game.   Correct me if I am wrong but I think this the first thing I have seen about the game?   Rain chance are down to 15% on Saturday so that is good thing.  Our fan base melts when it gets wet.

In their defense, this game doesn't need to be marketed to get people in Denton to attend, since it's our Super Bowl every year.

Now, for most of those other home games, that's gonna take some big time work...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Blue skies right now in Weatherford which is a whole 59 minutes from Apogee Stadium. 
I think we will all be happy with the weather for an early September game.

Remember Baylor U vs UNT at venerable Fouts Field when you could fry an egg on the parking lot?  105 degrees was it?  UNT beat the Bears that evening as I recall & Booger Kennedy had a great game.  •••Seems there were about 5K-6K traveling Baylor fans in Denton. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untphd said:

North Texas Boulevard is under construction, so you know  it is our first home game. Arrive early, drink some beer, buy a knife and make a day of it. 

By the Stadium?  Are they finally widening it?   It's been like a small farm road there ever since they built Apogee

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NT80 said:

By the Stadium?  Are they finally widening it?   It's been like a small farm road there ever since they built Apogee

Leave it to Denton City Planners.  Overheard in the meeting:

Planner #1: We need to look at the widening project for North Texas Blvd.

Planner #2: The plans have been approved.  We just need to pick a date that will work the best.

Planner #1:  When does the fall semester begin and when is UNT's first game at Apogee?

Planner #2: Early September

Planner #1: Let's start in August.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

In their defense, this game doesn't need to be marketed to get people in Denton to attend, since it's our Super Bowl every year.

Now, for most of those other home games, that's gonna take some big time work...

Meh. I disagree, sort of. I think the home opener (especially after a road W) will draw a crowd. I've seen our fan base give LaTech as much and maybe more respect in regards to attendance, as well as Army and at times utsa. SMU is local and it's usually early in the year. I think that's the drawing power. If SMU was wedged into early November and we were sitting at 3-6 or 4-5, I think attendance would see a bump because it's a local team. But ultimately they would be treated, as far as attendance goes, like any western divsion opponent we play. 

• Upvote 4

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Good material"

DentonStang was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Unrelated to tickets but related to the game, I'm demanding the middle-aged man wearing a UNT polo who I saw having lunch with SMU fans at Torchy's in Rockwall today identify himself immediately.

"middle-aged man wearing a UNT polo"

The waiter?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Leave it to Denton City Planners.  Overheard in the meeting:

Planner #1: We need to look at the widening project for North Texas Blvd.

Planner #2: The plans have been approved.  We just need to pick a date that will work the best.

Planner #1:  When does the fall semester begin and when is UNT's first game at Apogee?

Planner #2: Early September

Planner #1: Let's start in August.

5 months later, after the existing road is demolished:

Planner #3:  WAIT!  We did not sufficiently consider bike paths and roundabouts instead of stop signs!

Planners 1 & 2:  Oh yeah!  OK, let's put this project on hold for at least 3 years while we do that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Like other 30K’ish crowds at Apogee, it will take a good “day of game walk up ticket sales” to go near or over the top with the attendance.  

Like many of you, I’ve never really liked the Wing design, but if filled—there’s nothing any finer looking. 

A7D2EAD6-C2E4-4774-9153-7C5D1EF14D82.jpeg.70a2ec37d9ae7e798c5e8de97795122b.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3