Kason Martin team playing tonight

Jonnyeagle

Kason was always cheering on his teammates.  Did SL ever put him on the field?   when we are getting killed or killing someone else you need to see what you got in the game.   He is the most stubborn coach when it comes to qbs.  I always wanted to see what he can do on the field.   Good luck to him at ENMU he deserves his shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

role playing wtf GIF by Hyper RPG

I was told by several here that if a guy leaves here with eligibility left, he’s a tranferer, and no longer should be thought about, let alone have a thread dedicated to him…

For real though, I’m glad Martin got this shot & succeeded!   Here’s to more big games for Martin & the Greyhounds.  Congrats!

For me, there’s a big difference in “transferring down” because your not getting a chance to play and “transferring up” because UNT is no longer good enough for you.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wasn't Hope a Grad Transfer?

The thing about Hope is that she said she was staying and then OU called her which is a violation of "NCAA rules".  Did the NCAA do anything about OU recruiting a player off of an active roster?  Nope.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think Kason was as well!

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The thing about Hope is that she said she was staying and then OU called her which is a violation of "NCAA rules".  Did the NCAA do anything about OU recruiting a player off of an active roster?  Nope.

Eyeroll not from me.   
But hey, the #1 team in the nation calls... you pick up.  And when they offer, you go.  Opportunity of a lifetime, and she capitalized.  Guys like Brammer & the Murphys aren't quite on Hope's level, but still got some pretty great opportunities (especially Brammer, getting a Masters from Vandy).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think Kason was as well!

Eyeroll not from me.   
But hey, the #1 team in the nation calls... you pick up.  And when they offer, you go.  Opportunity of a lifetime, and she capitalized.  Guys like Brammer & the Murphys aren't quite on Hope's level, but still got some pretty great opportunities (especially Brammer, getting a Masters from Vandy).

Missed my point.  When the #1 team in the nation calls and you haven't entered the transfer portal and are still on the active roster of your current team, that is illegal.   This is why DeLong was so pissed off at this time last year.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Missed my point.  When the #1 team in the nation calls and you haven't entered the transfer portal and are still on the active roster of your current team, that is illegal.   This is why DeLong was so pissed off at this time last year.

Nope.  Didn't miss your point at all, just brought it back to Hope.    Put yourself in her shoes.   Yeah, it sucks for NT fans that it went down that way (tampering, for sure!), but if you're Hope, you take the call (illegal or not), and you go when they offer.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Nope.  Didn't miss your point at all, just brought it back to Hope.    Put yourself in her shoes.   Yeah, it sucks for NT fans that it went down that way (tampering, for sure!), but if you're Hope, you take the call (illegal or not), and you go when they offer.

So you are OK with her and OU cheating the system? Were you OK with SMU (reportely) contacting Siggers or programs that might have contacted the Murphy Twins or KD before they entered the portal?

Not sure why so many are OK with schools cheating, and yes, if she took the call she cheated also. 

Either have rules or none at all, but stop being OK with some cheating, but then on the other hand want some people/programs to suffer even if they are not proven guilty.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So do you fault someone like Hope Trautwein who "transferred up" to win a National Championship?

I don’t necessarily fault her, but I’m not cheering for her either.  That being said, hers is a very unique situation.  Has there ever been a team in any sport that was more of a favorite to win it all?  Even a football player going to Bama has way less odds of being a national champion. 

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I’m not sure about Hope, but grad transfers are exempt from scrutiny in my opinion.  They graduated, so they can do what they want and I’ll be disappointed, but happy for them. 

But let me be very honest:  I have a double standard.  I’ll be cheering for Tom Trieb, Mazin Richards, etc. so…

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you are OK with her and OU cheating the system? Were you OK with SMU (reportely) contacting Siggers or programs that might have contacted the Murphy Twins or KD before they entered the portal?

Not sure why so many are OK with schools cheating, and yes, if she took the call she cheated also. 

Either have rules or none at all, but stop being OK with some cheating, but then on the other hand want some people/programs to suffer even if they are not proven guilty.

Obviously not.  And I've never said anything of the like.  I thought I clarified that when Lifer brought this up.

Again, I'm not talking about what OU, A&M, or any other schools did.   
I'm talking about the players, and the choices they are left to make (approached honestly, or deceptively, they were still approached).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Obviously not.  And I've never said anything of the like.  I thought I clarified that when Lifer brought this up.

Again, I'm not talking about what OU, A&M, or any other schools did.   
I'm talking about the players, and the choices they are left to make (approached honestly, or deceptively, they were still approached).

I get your point. It's frustrating as a UNT fan but I get it from the players' perspective. You've trained your whole life for a chance at playing at the highest level possible. You went through long summers getting ready for the season, early mornings and late evenings during the school year, injuries, and more. This may be the last of your playing days. You don't owe anybody anything because at the end of the day, you live with your mistakes but I'd rather live with a mistake I made than live with regret because I was worried about somebody else. It's not about us, it's about them.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So do you fault someone like Hope Trautwein who "transferred up" to win a National Championship?

I don't fault her, I understand her decision.

However, I certainly don't laud her either.  She left teammates and coaches and opted for the easy way to more fame.

To me, leading a NT (or most any team) to a great season is better than just joining up with already a great team.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

However, I certainly don't laud her either.  She left teammates and coaches and opted for the easy way to more fame.

To me, leading a NT (or most any team) to a great season is better than just joining up with already a great team.

Yeah.   I have no doubt that was a tough decision for her (and Brammer,  ...maybe not the Murphys), because of the relationships she built with her teammates and the achievements they accomplished together. 

I was following along the Sooners journey in the WCWS, and I dunno if you were watching as well, but once Oklahoma got deep into the tournament, they started facing teams with equal talent for the most part and their pitching started getting hit, losing games along the way.   In turn, they started heavily relying on Hope.   Obviously that Sooner offense was otherworldly, but she was dealing, and keeping the other teams from outhitting them.  IMO, they don't win the championship without her.   That's a pretty big deal!
All that to say, I wouldn't say she necessarily, "joined up" with them.  Rather, she put them over the top.

Sorry to derail this thread.    I hope Kason kills it the rest of the way this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, zenhuddy said:

I always thought we didn’t give him a real chance here but we have a solid stable of QBs for sure - best of luck to Kason, he deserves his shot !

And what are you basing your assessment on?  Their playing time in real games? The only QB we have in our "stable" of QB's that has seen the field for NT in a real game is Jace Ruder. Gunnell, Earl and Head have starting QB experience at ASU, ACU and LT. But only Gunnell (who hasn't seen the field for a couple of years) is listed as immediate back-ups for Aune.

So, what we have behind Aune is basically a stable of "potential".  And we know what Don Meredith used to say about "potential". 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah.   I have no doubt that was a tough decision for her (and Brammer,  ...maybe not the Murphys), because of the relationships she built with her teammates and the achievements they accomplished together. 

I was following along the Sooners journey in the WCWS, and I dunno if you were watching as well, but once Oklahoma got deep into the tournament, they started facing teams with equal talent for the most part and their pitching started getting hit, losing games along the way.   In turn, they started heavily relying on Hope.   Obviously that Sooner offense was otherworldly, but she was dealing, and keeping the other teams from outhitting them.  IMO, they don't win the championship without her.   That's a pretty big deal!
All that to say, I wouldn't say she necessarily, "joined up" with them.  Rather, she put them over the top.

Sorry to derail this thread.    I hope Kason kills it the rest of the way this year.

What happened last year, has absolutely nothing to do with Trautwein's decision to transfer.  So, OU (probably the best softball program in the NCAA) chose the right player.  A prime example of why NCAA sports needs an overhaul.  

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

She pulled a kevin Durant to the Warriors.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1