Denton Academy

Marty

4 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Is it that they suck so badly or is just the type of students who attend UNT? After decades of low athletic support I gotta think it's much deeper than marketing or the program and maybe just reflects the student body that ends up here. There's a reason you can go to the nearest parking lot to Bruce Hall and see license plates from 35 different states and a few provinces, and they ain't here to watch any football. When I got on campus I was making friends with kids from the suburbs and they all gave me a tilted head and puzzled look when I mentioned that I went to the football games. I was equally confused that they grew up in Texas and didn't feel the same way about it as I did. 

I think that’s a HUGE part of what the culture here attracts for students. It’s either liberal arts students that usually don’t care or like sports OR it’s kids that love the value that we so love to trumpet to the world about our degree costs. IOW, nobody who wants to invest time into our teams or really, the entire university. It’s why we have alumni giving at 2%, when other schools dwarf this.

As Adler mentioned about Voertman’s control of shirts, it ain’t changing anytime soon, so you either stick with it or you walk away like all the others do.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ADLER said:

Are the university, the athletic department, and the alumni association really doing what's necessary for promoting our branding and our colors? Are they allowed to select whatever fashion colors their group uses, and can they willy-nilly use made up interlocked NT logos, outdated throwback logos, or something else they pulled out of their asses this past week?

This fish has rotted from the head down.

This is so spot on, it’s not even funny. It makes it so clear why so many people just walk away to be t-shirt fans of UT, A&M, OU, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc…

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is so spot on, it’s not even funny. It makes it so clear why so many people just walk away to be t-shirt fans of UT, A&M, OU, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc…

You think those T-shirt fans happen because our branding has been awful?

I think those t-shirt fans are gonna be t-shirt fans no matter how bad we've been.

Now, if you had said that getting our sh!t together would help attract more fans, that I can believe.

Just now, greenminer said:

You think those T-shirt fans happen because our branding has been awful?

I think those t-shirt fans are gonna be t-shirt fans no matter how bad we've been.

Now, if you had said that getting our sh!t together would help attract more fans, that I can believe.

T-shirt fans, with UNT diplomas and credit hours, of other schools happens in Denton because of the culture here.

Branding, apparel availability, loathing the athletics fee, not caring about athletics, giving nothing back to the university when graduating, running a terrible game day experience, and losing bigly…they are all by-products of a place that gives zero value to putting out a winning team at all costs. 

All costs means being willing and able to buyout any contract you give to a coach. It means hiring enough staff to run a gameday at full speed, not half-assed (or worse).

• Upvote 3

Every time I see this thread subject, I'm expecting it to be about some new Christian Academy in Denton, and their football team... 

...and then I open it again, and... 😵💫

• Upvote 1