Denton Academy

Marty

18 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Yeah saw it after you posted it and thanks for the insight. Hard to argue if this is indeed the truth, as a business runs by profit. Another thing you make me ponder on is how tough it is to even buy NT gear if you're not in the city of Denton. There is no options but Rally House and pay $80 for a polo shirt or $35 for a cotton T shirt.. 

I ended up just buying a polo for much cheaper online at some sports website for half the charge of Rally.. May check out Sams or Walmart while in Denton tomorrow to see what they have. Unless that got axed too. 

The rally house here in Frisco has some good gear. I have also found stuff on Amazon from time to time

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

The rally house here in Frisco has some good gear. I have also found stuff on Amazon from time to time

eBay sometimes has some cool stuff. I found a few good things like player/coach issued gear from there.

And uptown cheapskate in Denton, off the loop, I’ve found a ton of good UNT stuff including things that players/coaches get…

• Upvote 2

No matter how high demand is for another school, or what corporate is telling me, I'd give it the middle finger and put Mean Green gear front and center.

I couldn't ever be a store manager in Denton.  Makes me wonder if those fancy corporate execs, with all the statistical resources available to them, ever consider the sales implications of hiring local alumni to run their stores in their respective college towns.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Not very shocking if you ask me. Still can’t get our product out to the DENTON PUBLIC, there’s a problem within the athletic department.

Shocker.

A shocker especially since it's gone on for as long as we've been D1. Probably longer.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Greenrex said:

I did graduate work at the University of Georgia. My wife and many family members graduated from there and I have great fondness and respect for that university but, I love my North Texas with all my heart and soul. It is in my DNA and when we attended the UGA/UNT game a few years ago, I proudly wore my Mean Green gear and hoped beyond hope that we would beat Georgia.

That was such a good game too. We were winning at the half and ready to shock the world.

• Lovely Take 2

9 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

So I was a former manager with Academy. The store has very little (almost 0) say in what products they carry. I was a manager in Frisco when the Denton store opened and tried to push for Frisco to get NT gear but corporate wouldn't do it as they wanted it to go to Denton. My guess is that after a few years of the gear not selling ( i never thought the selection was good, to be honest) then the buyers probably stopped buying it and corporate stopped supplying the store. Not much the managers in the store can do. All stores and merchandise is set directly from corporate. 

Everyone that’s upset about this read this a few times. 👆🏻

It’s pretty simple:

“After a few years of the gear not selling…”

Academy is not there to help UNT.
They’re there to make money. 

I’m gonna guess if UNT had kept the momentum going after maybe the Arkansas win and got ranked and pushed for big bowls, Academy would’ve struck while that iron was hot. Academy sells stuff when products are “cool”. That’s how merchandising works. That’s how ESPN gives attention to teams. 

But if the general public doesn’t care about UNT why would a retailer want to carry clothes with that school on them?

I know that’s gonna piss a bunch of people off but it’s the truth 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Beating a dead horse UNT friends - stuff sells they carry it - stuff doesn’t sell they don’t carry it. The Apathy here is sad and can only be changed by winning football games and not backing into playoffs we then losing. I wanna win and have stores proudly carrying out products as much as anyone on this thread but some things have to change JMO 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

Beating a dead horse UNT friends - stuff sells they carry it - stuff doesn’t sell they don’t carry it. The Apathy here is sad and can only be changed by winning football games and not backing into playoffs we then losing. I wanna win and have stores proudly carrying out products as much as anyone on this thread but some things have to change JMO 

Rally House Addison would like a work with you.  They seem to sell plenty.  Great selection.  Not equal to A&M or UT but respectable.

• Upvote 3

On 9/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, cousin oliver said:

Rally House Addison would like a work with you.  They seem to sell plenty.  Great selection.  Not equal to A&M or UT but respectable.

Same with Rally House in Denton.  Was in there Saturday prior to the game and had to work around people in the North Texas section.  Rest of the store had no customers.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, zenhuddy said:

It might hurt Academy's numbers because they're in Denton with more competition as well. Sure alumni might grab stuff there, but students are going to shop for green gear at the bookstore or Voertmans probably. 

So the biggest question is why does UT or OU stuff sell so well in Denton? Academy would sell UNT stuff of the citizenry would buy it, but that’s the rub, isn’t it? 

At some point, the question has to be asked to the UNT leadership—why does the marketing and operations of our football program suck so badly? That answer would tell us all whether it would be worth this time and investment for much longer.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:35 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not surprising. Venture off campus 2 feet and it's merchandise for every university not named UNT everywhere. I'm just waiting for our stadium store to start selling TCU, ATM and UT gear. 

Hell, we're still waiting on our stadium store to stock Green North Texas gear, but unfortunately Voertmans has been enabled to profit excessively off a purely parasitic relationship with the university for decades. That leopard ain't gonna change its spots any time soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

why does the marketing and operations of our football program suck so badly?

Is it that they suck so badly or is just the type of students who attend UNT? After decades of low athletic support I gotta think it's much deeper than marketing or the program and maybe just reflects the student body that ends up here. There's a reason you can go to the nearest parking lot to Bruce Hall and see license plates from 35 different states and a few provinces, and they ain't here to watch any football. When I got on campus I was making friends with kids from the suburbs and they all gave me a tilted head and puzzled look when I mentioned that I went to the football games. I was equally confused that they grew up in Texas and didn't feel the same way about it as I did. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

At some point, the question has to be asked to the UNT leadership—why does the marketing and operations of our football program suck so badly? That answer would tell us all whether it would be worth this time and investment for much longer.

Are the university, the athletic department, and the alumni association really doing what's necessary for promoting our branding and our colors? Are they allowed to select whatever fashion colors their group uses, and can they willy-nilly use made up interlocked NT logos, outdated throwback logos, or something else they pulled out of their asses this past week?

This fish has rotted from the head down.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Are the university, the athletic department, and the alumni association really doing what's necessary for promoting our branding and our colors? Are they allowed to select whatever fashion colors their group uses, and can they willy-nilly use made up interlocked NT logos, outdated throwback logos, or something else they pulled out of their asses this past week?

This fish has rotted from the head down.

This Denton Academy story is bad,  really bad for the AD.  I am sure they are hoping it will blow away but shame on us if we allow it to.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

So the biggest question is why does UT or OU stuff sell so well in Denton? Academy would sell UNT stuff of the citizenry would buy it, but that’s the rub, isn’t it? 

I wonder if Boise State or Cincinnati or UCF stuff sells in their respective areas?

Boise may not be a good comparison but Cincy and UCF have big programs to compete with….and lots of pro sports. 

I bet they sell much better now than they used to. Probably has more to do with national rankings and big bowls than their marketing departments. Seth Littrell is the biggest marketing arm this program has….

• Upvote 1