UNT vs SMUt Score prediction

UNT Family Man

Just to clear the air here first. 

I'm about as big on ridding ourselves of SL as anybody is. I have no love for him as a coach (despite the fact he's generally a great guy). I'm down on this team. Down on the staff. Down on our QB situation.

That said, I think we pull this off in a very tight game.

24-21 Mean Green.

We have a game behind us, coming in off a strong emotional high and a win. I think the PBs defense knows exactly what to go after (apply the QB pressure, stay tight on your secondary marks). And I think our running game is going to wear out the younger defense of a new coach. It's going to be hard fought, but if Aune doesn't throw the game away (literally), I think we can pull it off.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I think we will look slow and tiny next to SMU.

UTEP shot themselves in the foot more times than our defense did anything.

Unless SMU has a complete breakdown we will be trounced.

42 - 17 SMU, but I hope it is reversed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Just to clear the air here first. 

I'm about as big on ridding ourselves of SL as anybody is. I have no love for him as a coach (despite the fact he's generally a great guy). I'm down on this team. Down on the staff. Down on our QB situation.

That said, I think we pull this off in a very tight game.

24-21 Mean Green.

We have a game behind us, coming in off a strong emotional high and a win. I think the PBs defense knows exactly what to go after (apply the QB pressure, stay tight on your secondary marks). And I think our running game is going to wear out the younger defense of a new coach. It's going to be hard fought, but if Aune doesn't throw the game away (literally), I think we can pull it off.

So would your opinion on Littrell and this team change if your prediction comes true? If we beat SMU 8+ wins is starting to look VERY likely. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

48 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

UTEP shot themselves in the foot more times than our defense did anything.

Agreed the UTEP game is *much* closer minus their serious miscues.  However, I expect SMU will have some of the same 1st game mistakes, especially in what I hope is a hostile Apogee environment.

University for Real People - 30

Barbie & Ken University - 27

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So would your opinion on Littrell and this team change if your prediction comes true? If we beat SMU 8+ wins is starting to look VERY likely. 

It would move the needle in his favor, definitely, but until SL shows us he's capable of putting together a strong enough offense/OC to consistently compete at the AAC level, then I really think we could still do better for that much money. Our defense and RBs are the only reason I think we have a shot in this game, both courtesy of Bennett and Cobbs

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

For me, I suppose that would depend on how the game played out.   If NT jumps out to a big lead early due to SMU looking rusty, then SMU finishes the game on a tear, but comes up just short, then 8 wins would be likely, sure (as most of us have this one as a L), but maybe not 9+. 
I say that because the scenario above would lend itself credence to the old adage of "you see most improvement between games 1 & 2.", and that would benefit UNT, but not SMU.   
If it's a dogfight & NT pulls it out, or if NT somehow comes from behind to win...   I'd be very pleased, and would look forward to a game in the Alamodome with C-USA West Championship ramifications.

All that to say, you & I are on the same page with our score predictions:
UNT - 24
SMU - 34
Hope we're wrong!

smuT returns the following starters:

QB Mordecai, WR Rice, OL Thomas and OL Osborne on offense.

LB Phillips, DT Chatman and DT Levelston on defense

Kicker, Punter and LS are all new.

Siggers gets the start at RB and I hope he runs for negative yards.  We have to contain Rice.  I like our chances.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

smuT returns the following starters:

QB Mordecai, WR Rice, OL Thomas and OL Osborne on offense.

LB Phillips, DT Chatman and DT Levelston on defense

Kicker, Punter and LS are all new.

Siggers gets the start at RB and I hope he runs for negative yards.  We have to contain Rice.  I like our chances.

That's a lot of turnover, but what does it look like when you add in players from the 2-deep last year?  I don't know, just asking.  They have some serious, on-paper, talent that transferred in and we have looked overmatched the last 3 times we've played them.  Hoping they'll miss on more of those guys than they hit, but their track record has been unbelievable with transfers recently.

I'll, personally, be praying for rain.  It'll tick my wife and kids off, but it will definitely slow down Mordecai and their receivers.  In great weather conditions, I think we can handle their running game, but if we get pressure like we did last week (which is to say almost none) Mordecai will carve up our secondary and they will win going away.

I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm doing it anyway...

Optimistic: (game is played in wet, sloppy conditions) UNT - 31 SMU 17

Pessimistic: (Clear skies, no wind) UNT - 17 SMU 45

Realistic: (overcast, storms around but not a washout) UNT - 24 SMU 35