Week 1 Presser 8/30/22

Big Z

13 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Tired Season 1 GIF by BET Plus

eee7dcf9682710ad0a3875718352e5cf.gif

"Oh, you're asking me a brand new question no one has ever asked me before? 
"I don't really want to answer this with any substance, so I'll preface my answer with 'Again', like I've already answered this before, then repeat some bs generic coachspeak that I've already said.

"Anything else?"

Poor @Brett Vito, he can't get any substantial info out of this guy.  Ergo: neither can the fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's my take.  If you want a better press conference, ask better questions.  Listen to how the questions are phrased.  Almost every one of them can be answered with a simple yes or no.  Basically, the questions are long-winded and loaded with the opinion/perspective of the interviewer with leading questions which essentially asks the coach or payer to confirm the "analysis" of the interviewer.  The questions are like, "The <insert one of [OL, DL, secondary, running backs, etc.]> really played well last night and controlled the game.  Would you say the addition of <insert player name here> helped improve the play of this group?"  Answer: "Yes.  Next."  The interviewee is led down a path the interviewer wants to talk about instead of asking a more open-ended question and letting the interviewee respond.  That's why these press conferences are so monotonous IMHO.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, keith said:

Here's my take.  If you want a better press conference, ask better questions.  Listen to how the questions are phrased.  Almost every one of them can be answered with a simple yes or no.  Basically, the questions are long-winded and loaded with the opinion/perspective of the interviewer with leading questions which essentially asks the coach or payer to confirm the "analysis" of the interviewer.  The questions are like, "The <insert one of [OL, DL, secondary, running backs, etc.]> really played well last night and controlled the game.  Would you say the addition of <insert player name here> helped improve the play of this group?"  Answer: "Yes.  Next."  The interviewee is led down a path the interviewer wants to talk about instead of asking a more open-ended question and letting the interviewee respond.  That's why these press conferences are so monotonous IMHO.

Why not jump on the leading question (99% of the time, it's a positive question), and really expound on that player.  Tell about how he makes other guys around him better every day in practice, talk about his positive attributes that set him apart.  Tell a funny story about your time recruiting him or some other side story... just ENJOY being one of 130 guys in the world as a FBS Head Coach!  Don't treat the media as a headache.

Littrell knows Vito is going to write a story about this hypothetical guy.   Why not have a quote in that story from the coach about how awesome he is, that way, when Mom & Grandma frame the story for perpetuity, his head coach's quote in the story isn't, "yeah Brett, I think he's had a great fall camp. Next."   

I just don't understand Littrell's EXTREMELY LOW energy for these things.   This is an OPPORTUNITY for you to put your stamp on how the media and fans see you & your team.   

As I watch these pressers, to me, it seems like he loathes his job.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why not jump on the leading question (99% of the time, it's a positive question), and really expound on that player.  Tell about how he makes other guys around him better every day in practice, talk about his positive attributes that set him apart.  Tell a funny story about your time recruiting him or some other side story... just ENJOY being one of 130 guys in the world as a FBS Head Coach!  Don't treat the media as a headache.

Littrell knows Vito is going to write a story about this hypothetical guy.   Why not have a quote in that story from the coach about how awesome he is, that way, when Mom & Grandma frame the story for perpetuity, his head coach's quote in the story isn't, "yeah Brett, I think he's had a great fall camp. Next."   

I just don't understand Littrell's EXTREMELY LOW energy for these things.   This is an OPPORTUNITY for you to put your stamp on how the media and fans see you & your team.   

As I watch these pressers, to me, it seems like he loathes his job.

Here is what I found why they even do these   https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1308225-why-nfl-fans-should-ignore-coaches-press-conferences

Yes, Littrell comes off as low energy and disinterested in his press conferences which I have noted multiple times but he is not helped out by Brett continually asking softball questions. I can maybe count on one hand the number of times I've heard Brett asked Littrell a challenging question that required some thought and a carefully crafted response rather than the usual "At the end of the day" responses he gets. I also know there is not much we can do about this but it doesn't help to only have one beat writer asking these questions. More variety brings more diverse questions. 

4 minutes ago, untphd said:

There is an extremely stark difference (really a total dichotomy) between an NFL press conference and a UNT press conference.   
Brett Vito & the NT Daily guy are far from "hungry wolves" with the types of questions they ask... more like, "friendly puppies".

I stopped going to the Coaches Shows at Rudy's a long time ago.   Is Littrell's demeanor the same there as well?

If you ever want to skip reading the next Vito feature story, just watch the presser. The article will be verbatim his questions with Seth’s answers as quotes. I’m aware that is how it works but it’s boring and doesn’t lead to pressing questions. I also think he knows he can be shut out (I think Dodge did this to him and Seth has been slow to warm up to Brett, if he has) so I would guess he pulls his punches somewhat. We need to win consistently and attract a wider group of DFW reporters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1