DRC: Here’s UNT’s depth chart for its game against SMU

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Here’s UNT’s depth chart for its game against SMU
9 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I was surprised Z Jackson didn’t make much of a push for playing time. Grad transfer who started at Utah State. 

He still shows as #2 behind Gaddie, who (without Davis) is our best cover corner.   I wonder if they move Jackson over ahead of Texada, or if they roll Texada out there.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He still shows as #2 behind Gaddie, who (without Davis) is our best cover corner.   I wonder if they move Jackson over ahead of Texada, or if they roll Texada out there.

Gaddie is easily our best corner whether Davis is healthy or not. Ridge isn’t a big drop off in coverage from Davis other than height. My biggest concern is our safeties.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Same here, fortunately the Oline is the least of my concern depth wise.

I heard Wood could be out a while too, not sure about Davis…

I guess Davis was a little more intense than it looked. I hate that for him. 

Do you know what the deal with Wood is?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I like Texada, a lot.  I am surprised Williams and West aren't our starting safeties.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I guess Davis was a little more intense than it looked. I hate that for him. 

Do you know what the deal with Wood is?

Foot/leg, he was in a boot on the sideline and it doesn’t look like he’ll be playing.

Who knows what they’ll roll out come Gameday though…

• Upvote 1

I might be blinded by fandom here but our depth chart looks really good to me. As much as SL gets hate for bad recruiting classes, this depth chart is, for the most part, really talented AND young. Defense has some holes but that offense is legit. Hopefully the coaches can translate that to results. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I might be blinded by fandom here but our depth chart looks really good to me. As much as SL gets hate for bad recruiting classes, this depth chart is, for the most part, really talented AND young. Defense has some holes but that offense is legit. Hopefully the coaches can translate that to results. 

I agree. We have generally done a good job of keeping the top performers from those 19-21 recruiting classes that were at or near the top of CUSA, and we have swapped out the underperformers with guys from the portal.

By my count we have about 11 guys who are 3+ year starters, plus our kicker and punter. This 11 also doesn’t include Adaway, Crosby, and some other guys who have starting experience back to the 2020 season. Yeah the number could be even higher if we had been able to keep the Murphy twins and Jacob Brammer, but it’s still very impressive continuity, especially in the era of the transfer portal.

11 starters in their third season of starting, and we still have a lot of eligibility among our starters. Only 5 of our starting 22 are seniors. 6 if you count Aune. So that continuity should pay dividends beyond this season.

• Upvote 6