Podcast w/GMac

Great conversation.  Everyone should take the time and listen to this.  THIS is what a face of the Athletics Program head coach looks and sounds like.  There's a reason that I continue to advocate for UNT dumping more and more resources into the basketball program.  We've got our guy.  Build this man a state of the art basketball arena.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Great conversation.  Everyone should take the time and listen to this.  THIS is what a face of the Athletics Program head coach looks and sounds like.  There's a reason that I continue to advocate for UNT dumping more and more resources into the basketball program.  We've got our guy.  Build this man a state of the art basketball arena.

Why build a smaller basketball arena?

Unless someone donates a lot of money for the construction or the Spit's maintenance cost are too high to maintain; I don't see the rationale.   

A new arena would increase attendance only in the very short term, winning is the driver not facilities. 

A new facility is not needed for recruiting, NIL money is going to rule. 

A smaller arena might generate a louder environment, but a massive half empty arena might be just as disrupting to opponents. 

NT will build a new BB arena in a few years, mainly because they are running out things in the athletic department to fund. 

NT needs more fan support and that comes with good teams and better schedules not brick and mortar. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why build a smaller basketball arena?

Unless someone donates a lot of money for the construction or the Spit's maintenance cost are too high to maintain; I don't see the rationale. 

There are a lot of "wants" being thrown around lately, with very little of them knowing or caring about rationale, finances, or logic.

BBall facilities and baseball program are at the forefront.

• Oh Boy! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the podcast.  It was very enlightening to listen to Coach Mac talk about his philosopy and approach to the game.  His knowledge is extensive and very analytical; yet his honest feelings for his players' welfare shows as well.  I would love for my son to play for someone like him...very passionate about getting the best out of his players in all aspects of life...demanding, but caring.

I hope we can keep him for a long, long time because I see nothing but good things for UNT basketball with him at the helm and Coach Hodge by his side.  He is the first to admit his assistant coaches are a big part of the team's success.

GMG...go Coach Mac!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1