RIP Sportswriter and UNT Alum Brett Tulloss (GreenBat)

rcade

• Harry featured this topic

Brett loved North Texas athletics and was a very instrumental part of the Athletic Top 20 (student group) that I created to market Mean Green sports. His energy really helped the Top 20 do some great things.  He was a fixture around my office, always wanting to see that was going on with the athletic department.  I am sad to see him go so young.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

F0E49633-D991-4791-A962-5C29B5A4DC44.jpeg.f1bef8fe2c3b2892aff31c9e830867e8.jpeg

I will miss Brett Tulloss as well as Carlos Leal(standing two to the left of Brett here), who we lost back in ‘18.  Those two knew more sports trivia than anyone I ever knew.  I once told them while we were all at a  bar if they didn’t shut up talking so much nerdy sports trivia we were never gonna get laid.  I had to post this pic from the Daily I remembered having which had them both at a game at Fouts.  

When Brett started covering local HS football teams for the DRC I would go with him to spot and do stats.  One time we nearly froze half to death in a blizzard in an open press box at Mineral Well’s old Miller Stadium during a playoff game.   Most learned that if you spent enough time with Brett some kind of crap was bound to happen to you sooner or later and with me it always did..

One of the stories I can publicly share…He once got the PA gig at Fouts for a first round 3A playoff game between SL Carroll & Frisco and he asked me to spot & do stats for him.   And of course, from the very start SLC started  drilling the hell out of Frisco and Brett was having to constantly say  The Dragons did this….The Dragons did that.  Everything was Dragons! Dragons! Dragons!, and Brett was starting to feel bad for Frisco and their fans, and he was chomping at the bit to finally get to say something positive for them.  Finally, at one point Frisco put a drive together and advanced the ball to about the SLC 25 yard line…and Brett announced it as…”And the Racoons Are Scratching At The Back Screen Door!”…. and I looked at him like WTF????  Suddenly the door to the press box swung open and a little old lady with a cane, who had to be in her late 70’s to 80’s stumbled in and started chewing Brett’s ass out something fierce for “Being so one sided and so damn negative to Frisco High!”,…and as she  yelled at him she leaned over Brett like she was gonna start beating the shit out of him.    Brett was so shocked, he kept shrinking in that chair thinking she was gonna smack him, and he stumbled and fumbled through what had to be 20 apologies trying to explain himself and she was having none of it..  I nearly hurt myself trying to hold back the laughter and not instigate it further.  

Anyhow, lots of good times I’ll never forget.

RIP GreenBat.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2