Off-Season Shopping For SMU?

DeepGreen

I paid a visit to smut's athletic website.  By my count they have 25 P5 players on the roster, plus several transfers from G-5.  Will Kuehne is also listed. Have no idea how many were already on the roster prior to this season.  There is a sprinkling of G5 transfers (NT, Army, etc.).

smut is packed with (on paper) significant talent.  I mean, do you get a scholly from Mississippi if you're a bad player?

• Upvote 1

Listening to Dan Patrick this morning and he said he heard a coach recently state that he didn't really care what you had done in high school.  Produce as a freshman and he would look your way.  Produce again as a sophomore and now he wanted to talk.  This is how recruiting has changed.  Point being, how many of these 25 P5 players produced at their previous schools?

• Upvote 3

We clean up on players from solid P5s that are good enough to play there, but getting beat out as the starter by a monster, or lose their spot to injury, or the coaching/culture is changing or chaotic (see multiple UT transfers), almost always from the DFW area.  We can sell them on a good team to play for, a good chance to start, still get some of the perk$ of major college football vs going to an FCS champ, a good degree, and their momma can come see them play in person. 

You could be selling a lot of these same things, but your coaching staff doesn't seem to have that strategy.

For 2022 transfer commits, I see 17 total, 14 from P5s.  

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

We clean up on players from solid P5s that are good enough to play there, but getting beat out as the starter by a monster, or lose their spot to injury, or the coaching/culture is changing or chaotic (see multiple UT transfers), almost always from the DFW area.  We can sell them on a good team to play for, a good chance to start, still get some of the perk$ of major college football vs going to an FCS champ, a good degree, and their momma can come see them play in person. 

You could be selling a lot of these same things, but your coaching staff doesn't seem to have that strategy.

SMU has always been expert at buying players.  Too bad they have not had a lot of lucik buying into a P5 conference.  Maybe something to do with being most penalized school in nation and low fan support.  

About half the starters last year were transfers - the QB, TE, couple of WR's, couple of OL, and the same goes for D.  Sonny at least helped created the transfer model, if not outright did it himself, and I don't see any reason to stop.  

I'm not saying I like the New World, but it is what it is, and it would be stupid to not go with what works and is legal now.