SMU fans predict the UNT game score

Jonnyeagle

OFFICIAL: SMU vs NTS Predictions

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/styles/we_clearblue/imageset/icon_post_target.gifby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:36 pm

Normally do the official prediction thread on Monday, but since North Texas State has already played a game, let's do this a day early. Watching their game last night, they looked better than last year, taking a seven win UTEP team to the woodshed, in front of a big home crowd. They were also missing a couple of starting receivers and one of their top defenders..... but guess what, all are expected back for the SMU game. Could be a tough one in Denton. You know the old saying, teams improve the most, from week one to week two.

read more:  http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91409&sid=25bd278cdb08dbce04f32148f89000c0

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not disputing SMU has a talent advantage, just stated it may not be as substantial as they think.  

Aune just hit 26 career TD passes this past Saturday. Mordecai had 39 last year alone. 9 times put of 10, the team with the better QB wins. Aune may have been named CUSA player of the week (really? With only 5 teams in action?) but this Saturday will demand a substantially greater level of QB play if we want to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

On paper SMU should take us to the woodshed. However on paper a bumblebee can't fly. If we can hang with the Ponies in the 1st half we have a chance to win. However if we are down 14+ its going to be a long night.

I sort of agree with you @wardly.  I think SMU will try to break our spirit early on and take the crowd out of the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Aune just hit 26 career TD passes this past Saturday. Mordecai had 39 last year alone. 9 times put of 10, the team with the better QB wins. Aune may have been named CUSA player of the week (really? With only 5 teams in action?) but this Saturday will demand a substantially greater level of QB play if we want to win.

So you think SMU is a better team than UTEP.  That is a news flash alright. 

The better team usually wins, who may or may not have the best QB.  

SMU is a big favorite for a reason, but most games are actually decided on the field not on fan forums. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

So you think SMU is a better team than UTEP.  That is a news flash alright. 

The better team usually wins, who may or may not have the best QB.  

SMU is a big favorite for a reason, but most games are actually decided on the field not on fan forums. 

If this is your response, why make several comments that SMU may not have as substantial of a talent advantage as some think? I brought up the most important talent advantage they have and you respond that the game will be decided on the field. Great debate.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If this is your response, why make several comments that SMU may not have as substantial of a talent advantage as some think? I brought up the most important talent advantage they have and you respond that the game will be decided on the field. Great debate.

Apparently you disagree, that usually a part of a debate.

I also stated that SMU is a big favorite for a reason, which you apparently agree with.

Again the best team usually wins, which may or maynot have the best QB, not sure how anyone can disagree with that. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I dont feel great about our chances, but some of you make it seem like we’re playing A&M and we’ll need every break to go our way. SMU ain’t that good. 

I don't know that we are either. It's hard to tell when you open against programs such as UTEP. We don't know how many receivers will be available which can make a big difference. I just don't think we can afford to get down early. Not to diminish last weeks win, but I wonder how we would have responded if in the 1st half UTEP had made their missed field goal, scored on our 10 yard line instead of turning the ball over because of an errant snap, and not dropped a sure touchdown pass .That's 17 points they left on the table which would of flipped the score. I know I am playing "what if", but we were lucky to get out of the first half with a 1 point lead. Just saying.....

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't know that we are either. It's hard to tell when you open against programs such as UTEP. We don't know how many receivers will be available which can make a big difference. I just don't think we can afford to get down early. Not to diminish last weeks win, but I wonder how we would have responded if in the 1st half UTEP had made their missed field goal, scored on our 10 yard line instead of turning the ball over because of an errant snap, and not dropped a sure touchdown pass .That's 17 points they left on the table which would of flipped the score. I know I am playing "what if", but we were lucky to get out of the first half with a 1 point lead. Just saying.....

Oh but we can play what ifs all day is what some are saying. You bring up some very valid unforced errors on the UTEP side that would have changed the game. We took over in the second half for sure but we got a lot of big breaks in the first half.