Optimistic - Pessimistic -Realistic Score

Coach_1976

It worked last Week let's try again

Optimistic- UNT 31  Mules-17

With last weeks balanced offense rolling again we get another 200/200 production and win the line of scrimmage all night.

Pessimistic UNT 10  Mules 35

Last week was a outlier and we return to early city last year form

Realistic UNT 28 Mules 24

They have a new coach and tons of new player that have not been in battle together. We have that first win under our belt. we actually blitz more this week and rattle the cages of SMU early and hang on to win late. 

• Upvote 3

I’m afraid I will have to go with 35-7 Pessimism this week.  I just think SMU has risen to a higher plan of existence in the past couple of years and will be even moreso in years to come.  If the newly formed AAC was the old Big 12, SMU is Texas and we are Kansas.  

On a more positive note we will get a full stadium and big check so cash that and be happy that we get to play them in basketball now since they have been ducking us and that is a sport we can compete with them in right away because of coach mccasland.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I’m afraid I will have to go with 35-7 Pessimism this week.  I just think SMU has risen to a higher plan of existence in the past couple of years and will be even moreso in years to come.  If the newly formed AAC was the old Big 12, SMU is Texas and we are Kansas.  

On a more positive note we will get a full stadium and big check so cash that and be happy that we get to play them in basketball now since they have been ducking us and that is a sport we can compete with them in right away because of coach mccasland.

I'm forever the optimist and say never quit, never give up until the clock runs out. I think this is our best chance in years to beat them because of our balance of skill players on offense and improving defense. That said, it always come down to two things. Who wins the line of scrimmage and QB play. I have confidence in our OL to open up our running game and if that happens, Aune should have a good night. Plus those preppies over on the smut board are nervous. All that being said give me...

Mean Green 24, Nags 21.

• Upvote 2

I reserve the right to change my mind if Wood, Carroll, and/or JDavis are back this week, but assuming all 3 are out: 

Optimistic - NT:34 SMU:24  -  NT is feeling good after the UTEP win, and come out laser-focused with high intensity, meanwhile SMU still has rust due to this being their first game of the season.  NT builds a big lead and hold off an SMU rally.
Pessimistic - NT:17 SMU:38  -  NT comes out playing sluggish again like they did Saturday, and SMU is fully-ready to play.  SMU builds up a big early lead and coasts in the 2nd half.
Realistic - NT:24 SMU: 34  -  NT comes out fired-up & takes a small lead into halftime behind a raucous crowd.   SMU's offense settles-in in the 2nd half (kinda like we did Saturday) and pulls ahead, then hangs on to win.

• Upvote 4

Optimistic - UNT 38 - SMU 21

SMU struggles to get their footing with a new staff and roster additions. UNT dominates to the line of scrimmage and settles into a 2 TD lead into the 3rd quarter. SMU starts clicking late in the 3rd but by then it's too late and we drain the clock with an established ground game.

Pessimistic - UNT 14 - SMU 45

SMU comes out firing behind the arm of Tanner Mordecai. One of 2021's best quarterbacks picks up where he left off and we can't keep up. Despite the run game finding success, SMU puts up points in a hurry so we're forced to put the ball in the air more and Aune is exposed. He completes just below 50% of his passes and throws 2 interceptions with his only touchdown coming on the ground.

Realistic - UNT 31 - SMU 51

Mix of the two above predictions. Our lines dominate the line of scrimmage but ultimately our secondary can't keep up and gets torched repeatedly. We turn to the passing game more to keep up but Aune can't complete enough passes to keep the chains moving. Our RBs breakaway on a few big runs to keep us within reach into the 3rd but Mordecai pulls them away out of a running attack's reach.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

Optimistic: UNT 38 SMU 14- UNT fixes the mistakes from UTEP. SMU is under a new regime with new players still working into the new system. PB takes advantage of this and we cruise to an easy W. 

Pessimistic: UNT 21 SMU 45- Tanner Mordecai goes off. One of their brand new receivers goes Courtland Sutton on us out of no where. Lashlee is throwing the kitchen sink as us on offense and their defense is in a bend don't break mode allowing a few big rushes.  

Realistic: UNT 21 SMU 20: I think PB is actually on to something here. He had shown improvement all of 2021 and then had adjustments for UTEP all night. PB kept us in the game last year, even with Ruder's 2 INTs and held SMU to 35. If the offense can hold on to the ball, this will be a more defensive game than we have seen in recent years. UNT holds on at home. 

• Upvote 2