Can Aune take the next step?

I gotta say, Aune looked more confident and had some decent passes under pressure. Yeah he had a really really bad fumble and a few misses, but it seems he has improved a lot since last year.

Now he faces the best team we will play this year, yeah I think SMU will be better than utsa down the stretch, so the question is will he take the next step from a decent QB to a good QB.

He has the weapons around him, and pretty solid offensive line, but SMU is quick on the ends, way more size than UTEP, and possess skills that we don’t face very often in the secondary. 

Can Aune become the official leader and help UNT beat SMU? Who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think he CAN, but will the guys around him contribute enough to help.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

I did not see all that much improvement from Aune. he also had better and worse games last season. But mostly I would say that it looks like his supporting cast improved. That in turn made him look better. And I hope the injury bug does not bite the supporting cast again (although the last seasons were really rough there).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I’m sure you’ve all heard how there is much improvement from the 1’st game to the 2’nd game.  I hope that is the case this Saturday evening.  It might be a game where we have a few (as Fry called them) “exotic” plays?

I remember when UNT icon Bill Mercer was on the KVIL morning radio show with Ron Chapman how they were talking about one of our games with UT-Austin.  Seems a Longhorn fan had complained that one of the Mean Green’s TD’s was a “ridiculous junior high” call.    
Quick witted Mercer quipped— “well, it worked against UT!” 😱

GMG!

E26C27E4-A78D-4F72-BF11-286809740F0B.gif.539eeeb6b98238d0e57ade7b5d54eae9.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

May be a slight improvement, but us being more dependent on the running game will help him a lot. I think the competition may stack the box and force him to win throwing the ball. Then we will see about improvement. 

This.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I gotta say, Aune looked more confident and had some decent passes under pressure. Yeah he had a really really bad fumble and a few misses, but it seems he has improved a lot since last year.

Now he faces the best team we will play this year, yeah I think SMU will be better than utsa down the stretch, so the question is will he take the next step from a decent QB to a good QB.

He has the weapons around him, and pretty solid offensive line, but SMU is quick on the ends, way more size than UTEP, and possess skills that we don’t face very often in the secondary. 

Can Aune become the official leader and help UNT beat SMU? Who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think he CAN, but will the guys around him contribute enough to help.

Thoughts?

When will we stop pretending that his success, or lack thereof, is supporting cast dependent?   Sure, every quarterback looks better with a better supporting cast...but good quarterbacks maintain above average play with or without studs at the other positions.   Mason Fine wasn't as spectacular when he didn't have Guyton, Bussey, or Lawrence...but he didn't start throwing off his back foot or hitting receivers in the shoe laces either.   

Aune is a gamer who has stuck with it.   He is obviously committed to this team, and I commend him for it.    But he still lacks a decent deep ball (teams like SMU will prey on this), and if the running game isn't clicking he's not exactly a threat to carve you up.   

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

I thought he showed nice zip and accuracy into some tight windows on the short/medium passes.  The first touchdown pass to Bush comes to mind.  Too many downfield passes continue to miss the mark or float out of bounds (or is he throwing some of these away...can't tell?).  If these were more dependable, then it opens up a lot more possibilities.  Of course we are all still a little spoiled by the memory of Mr. Fine who arguably had the best touch on the deep ball to ever come through North Texas.  

This. I liked some of the throws he made into tight windows which gave me hope. But for everyone of those, there was the sequence where he overthrew the receiver out of bounds 3 consecutive times which continue to worry me about his long ball accuracy. For a run dominant team, we need better accuracy from a QB that is only going to get so many throws a game, especially if we are looking to take a shot on a big play. 

43 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

One glimmer of hope from Aune in the UTEP game was his bootleg run to the right sideline.  I was impressed with his speed.  The dude definitely has some wheels for a senior citizen.  I am betting we see a lot more of that in the SMU game.

I also agree, having that option with our stable of running backs and big tight ends will help keep the defense on their toes. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

May be a slight improvement, but us being more dependent on the running game will help him a lot. I think the competition may stack the box and force him to win throwing the ball. Then we will see about improvement. 

SMU will gameplan against running the ball, it will take a tremendous effort to get maybe 100 yards on the ground. It’s what they did to our pass gameplan in 2019. Bussey and Darden were locked down and they played a ton of zone that game to make Fine throw it away or hand it off (Siggers played his ass off that game however)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

SMU will gameplan against running the ball, it will take a tremendous effort to get maybe 100 yards on the ground. It’s what they did to our pass gameplan in 2019. Bussey and Darden were locked down and they played a ton of zone that game to make Fine throw it away or hand it off (Siggers played his ass off that game however)

If they stack the box, Roberts could be a big factor on seam routes. He looks special.

• Upvote 6

Down Receivers or not, his accuracy hasn't improved. Yes he had several good passes but the majority of them were at his WR's feet or behind them. 

Roddy B's seam route where he gained a bunch of yards could of gone for a bunch more if Aune would of hit him in stride. Roberts TD catch was tipped and thankfully it landed in good hands. 

I dont wish the kid ill will and I hope to God he can "Take that next step" but lets get realistic, he's about to be 29, if he isnt there now he's not going to be. 

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Down Receivers or not, his accuracy hasn't improved. Yes he had several good passes but the majority of them were at his WR's feet or behind them. 

Roddy B's seam route where he gained a bunch of yards could of gone for a bunch more if Aune would of hit him in stride. Roberts TD catch was tipped and thankfully it landed in good hands. 

I dont wish the kid ill will and I hope to God he can "Take that next step" but lets get realistic, he's about to be 29, if he isnt there now he's not going to be. 

It was also the first game of the year. He has improved.

We shall see what he has in his tank against SMU.

• Upvote 3

Aune IMO had one of his best games ever at NT.

Yet, it is beyond some of you to give him any credit.

Passes completed that didn't hit the player in the chest, are you kidding or just new to football?

QB are generally always blamed for loses, but some of you would not be satisfied with a young Troy Aikman.  His receivers had to make great catches, and he missed wide open receivers, etc.  

Unfortunately, I predict Aune will have bad games; why not wait till then to criticize.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

No. The accuracy isn't improved. Even the passes he completed were mostly somewhere other than the receiver's chest. Throwing low, behind guys, launching it into the stands etc.

He makes easy throws look hard

I recall a previous season where we played well against a lower-level team (I think it was the NW state game) because our WR's were better than the defenders and were able to rescue the QB's bad passes.

Then at the next game, SMU picked off the same passes.  Aune does look better, but he can't count on the receivers being able to catch passes that are a yard behind them this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest thing I saw with Aune was that it looked like he got to a point where he "settled in" and the game looked like it slowed down for him. He won't have the luxury of taking a quarter to settle in this week. I'm hoping he picks up where he left off. Did he make some bad passes against UTEP? Sure. Will he make some this week? Sure. I see him as a game manager. As long as he can make enough passes to keep defenses honest like he did against UTEP, I think this year shakes out better than most think, but only time will tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It was also the first game of the year. He has improved.

We shall see what he has in his tank against SMU.

He’s also in his 5th year with the program. It being the first game shouldn’t matter at this point. 
My biggest complaint about Aune is his inability to lead WRs. He’s always putting the ball behind them forcing them to slow down or even stop. It kills our YAC. 

• Downvote 2