Is your feeling for the season confirmed or changed after an 18 point win vs UTEP??

Uncle

I’m not sure that judging anything after one game will be worth a hill of beans later in the year. So nothing changed my mind.

UTEP is bad…very bad…just like Rice…just like UNLV…just like FIU. Add in FCS spare game, then pick off two more against the gauntlet of FAU, La Tech, UTSA, and WKU and you get to 7 wins…meaning extension time for ol’ Seth. I’m on record as saying the easiest schedule that we have ever had will make us 7-5 in the regular season. This opener, while many sold us on here of the peril of playing an “improved” UTEP at a sellout and how tough it would be, turned out to be pretty easy. I suspect that we will have lots of wins this year that are similar to this one.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m not sure that judging anything after one game will be worth a hill of beans later in the year. So nothing changed my mind.

UTEP is bad…very bad…just like Rice…just like UNLV…just like FIU. Add in FCS spare game, then pick off two more against the gauntlet of FAU, La Tech, UTSA, and WKU and you get to 7 wins…meaning extension time for ol’ Seth. I’m on record as saying the easiest schedule that we have ever had will make us 7-5 in the regular season. This opener, while many sold us on here of the peril of playing an “improved” UTEP at a sellout and how tough it would be, turned out to be pretty easy. I suspect that we will have lots of wins this year that are similar to this one.

We’ll have lots of road conference wins by multiple scores? Sounds awesome! Where can I sign up? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I was unsure where the team was. I take from the game that the team is physically better than I feared, but just as sloppy as before. UTEP wasn't terrible, but they also made errors other teams will not, and yet other teams will be more talented than UTEP. So I expect a middling season (7ish wins).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I predicted 8 & 5 & a Fort Worth Armed Services Bowl invite. 

Would love to see a crowd at Amon Carter Stadium the size we had at  the Heart of Dallas Bowl when we played UNLV because that means it would almost be full with a sea of apple green-clad sportswear.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

I’m honestly pleasantly surprised.  Most saw us in a dogfight against UTEP and we actually dominated them.  I suppose that Wren is starting to work out the language for the extension based on what he has seen of Littrell thus far.  Remember Littrell Is in the last year of his contract and it will hurt us badly in recruiting if we do not at least provide him a small 2-3 year extension.  As comparison the UTSA coach has a 10-year contract to sell recruits.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I had this game as 50/50

The fact that we pretty much dominated them and made great adjustments in the 2nd half was a good sign. We physically beat them up. Also...I was glad to see the stupid penalties corrected in the 2nd half.

I'm out of the prediction game when it comes to Seth Littrell teams but dominating an FBS team on the road, first game kinks, etc....I'm pleasantly surprised.

I may know more after next week....SMU is the most talented team we'll play all year. We'll see how they're coached. 

• Upvote 7

I certainly feel better about our team. An 18 point win on the road in a close to sold out stadium against a team the almost EVERY ranking service says is better than last year is great. The sports writers that know CUSA best ranked us one spot about UTEP with the prediction of an extremely close game. 

We can't have a better record that 1-0 after one game!

SMU is going to be a much tougher game but I definitely feel better going into that game now than I did a week ago!

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I had this one as the closest loss of the season for NT, so instead of 6-6, my feeling has changed to 7-5.   Yay!

I mean I don't get all the negativity on here.  Not you @MeanGreenTexan but others who remain skeptical.  UTEP was a bowl team last year and we beat them on the road in front of a sold out crowd.  This was a great win.

• Upvote 7

SMU will tell us way more than UTEP did. A team with a new head coach, new players, and new scheme that usually has our number. I was semi-surprised, in a good way, about the UTEP game. The first half was just bad. Defensive penalties, both of our lines getting manhandled into submission, Aune missing wide open receivers. I was surprised and pleased with how every facet of the team re-grouped and really beat UTEP into submission in the second half. Of course, not every team is going to pull a UTEP and try going toe to toe with us on committing mistakes and we would probably be punished by other teams where UTEP couldn't, but overall, the game definitely surpassed my expectations. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

UTEP is much better than Rice, FIU, UNLV BUT not as good as they were last year. 

• Upvote 1