Jump to content

Can someone explain why Phil yells so much?


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, NT93 said:

, I’d be willing to bet that nobody loved on those very same kids more after the game than PB.

Jerry Sandusky would like to have a word here.

Edited by 97and03
  • Haha 5
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I dunno if he was having an off night or what the deal was but I’ve never seen a coach yelling and being so confrontational with his team.  What is the purpose of that behavior?

To get them to play well, and it worked. Stop being so soft.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Tbh the day of age we are in, all kids need a guy like PB. Praise you if you play good, but still get on your ass no matter what.

Passion for the game is unmatched, and it’s kinda like McCasland’s style. If you don’t like how I coach, leave.

Murphy twins.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

They changed down the stretch of the season, and looked way more mature, BUT I think they took a few years off of Bennett. It was either them or Bennett leaving after last year.

I remember a moment in the bowl game. We were on defense and it was an obvious passing down. One twin was on the field while the other was not. Pre-snap the one on the field yelled at Bennett/Passwaters to get his brother in the game and arguing back and forth before the play. Miami got the first down.

I saw that happen and knew they weren't gonna be back. Potential stars? Absolutely. Selfish and Immature? Definitely

After all those roughing calls against UTEP, Bennett rightfully lit KD and Woods up. They took it to heart and didn't have another one.

If the Murphy twins were still on the team we would've easily had a couple more roughing calls against us.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I remember a moment in the bowl game. We were on defense and it was an obvious passing down. One twin was on the field while the other was not. Pre-snap the one on the field yelled at Bennett/Passwaters to get his brother in the game and arguing back and forth before the play. Miami got the first down.

I saw that happen and knew they weren't gonna be back. Potential stars? Absolutely. Selfish and Immature? Definitely

After all those roughing calls against UTEP, Bennett rightfully lit KD and Woods up. They took it to heart and didn't have another one.

If the Murphy twins were still on the team we would've easily had a couple more roughing calls against us.

I'm interested in seeing how they perform at UCLA. Will they temper their ignorant playing because they know a guy with similar or even better talent can replace them in a moment's notice or will it be more of the same. Or shoot, will they both even be starters? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swear I never gave it a second look, even remember watching PB during the game and thinking it's about time a coach lit a fire under some of these kids.  As mentioned above, I am sure this is why some players left, and if it bothers anyone on the current team, I am happy to help them pack their bags. 

I would never guess it would trigger/upset someone watching the game.  I actually chuckled at the girlfriend comment.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A common complaint among Mean Green fans is that players are too undisciplined. If PB can correct that by channeling his inner R. Lee Ermey, as long as he doesn't go too far I think it's a positive. Players respect coaches who get the best out of them, even if it takes getting in their face. And I say that as someone who played B team middle school basketball in Burleson alongside FireFightnRick.

Perhaps Phil wouldn't seem so angry if he wore a color more calming than meadowlark yellow.

Edited by rcade
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind this is the same fan base that once changed the name of our  noble mascot from Scrappy to Eppy reasoning that Scrappy seemed “too war-like.”

And, there has been talk among some, of incorporating the “albino squirrel” as an alternate mascot.  I for one, will be whispering under my breath the “North”. “Texas” cheer.  No sense offending sensitive ears.  
 

(whisper) go mean green (shhh…)

  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's more about a coaching personality than a situation that requires yelling vs talking about it.  PB and GM obviously are yellers.  SL is not, but he is not a talker either.  You don't see much yelling in a player's face in P5 games or NFL level.  They are either more disciplined at those levels or I think it is addressed in practice what is expected and it's just a benching if it happens. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow.  The thought of the Murphy twins leaving because they couldn't hack being coached by Phil Bennett rather than the golden opportunity to shine on the P5 stage (in LA of all places, perfect for selfish guys) is beyond comical.   C'mon y'all.   Jilted-lover syndrome runs deep around here with some of you.

As for Bennett yelling on the sideline, I thought it was odd that Stadium showed him about 66% of the time when showing UNT coaches on the sideline (yelling or not).   Littrell seemed to be portrayed almost like Bennett's assistant coach.

  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I think it's more about a coaching personality than a situation that requires yelling vs talking about it.  PB and GM obviously are yellers.  SL is not, but he is not a talker either.  You don't see much yelling in a player's face in P5 games or NFL level.  They are either more disciplined at those levels or I think it is addressed in practice what is expected and it's just a benching if it happens. 

You must not have seen Saban coach very much.

This is just a snippet from one game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for Bennett yelling on the sideline, I thought it was odd that Stadium showed him about 66% of the time when showing UNT coaches on the sideline (yelling or not).

Bennett draws the eye with that splendiferous yellow shirt, coaching shorts and the laminated playbook card tucked all the way down to his fishing tackle. He's the best thing to happen to the UNT sideline since Diet Coke Man.

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

You must not have seen Saban coach very much.

This is just a snippet from one game.

LOL.  No, I don't watch a lot of Bama games, too boring.  I thought Saban was pretty docile when I would see a game, occasionally he would give an eye-roll when a player messed up. 

But I still say generally on the P5 level you don't see a lot of constant in-your-face, like PB does every game.  I'm not getting on PB for it, it's just his style.  In fact, I'd make PB our HC and demote SL to DC.

Edited by NT80
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.