Can someone explain why Phil yells so much?

What a weird topic.

In leadership, you establish a culture of trust. I tell my guys all the time that we are never there to push down but to build up, even if that includes some breaking down. How you take it is up to you.

In a very high intensity and highly emotional sport, that absolutely applies. I feel that PB has earned their trust, and they have earned his to the point that these "breaking downs" can still be emotionally supportive. 

I imagine these defensive players are playing hard for Phil, and he seems to show a lot of love and compassion for them outside of game time. If you built the right level of trust and support, then this type of leadership can absolutely heighten the emotional drive and push the competitive nature. Or maybe they're a snowflake who chooses to see it as pushing you down. 

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would be curious to know the age of the posters that this doesn’t bother and the age of those that it does. 

I took a quick glance back through this thread, and there are only 2 people that took issue with it:

The OP: Meangreenfaninno
Cousin Oliver's "girlfriend" 
Every single other post defended it (with a brief derailing to Jerry Sandusky?), or an introspective diagnosis that PB does it because of his own wardrobe insecurities.

EDIT:  I think you may have been trying to set up the tired old "Boomer VS Millennial" argument... it's just not there.   Heck, even your arch-nemesis @Coffee and TV was on board.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

I was actually curious.  I heard a commentator during one of the games, might have been our game, talking about how the athlete of today is handled differently than in the past.  He stated that one coach had mentioned he would almost never yell or get in the face of a player today because they react differently.

I am now admittedly older and played football, basketball and baseball growing up.  The coaches that we felt like were constantly on us for something were typically leading the most successful teams.  I remember one coach that everyone was literally scared of.  He walked around the school always with his head down, rarely smiled, etc.  The first few practices on his team were nerve-racking to say the least.  Once we understood his expectations, and that if we were putting forth our best effort he would be happy, we worked hard for him every single day.  By the time the season was over, he was probably one of my favorite coaches I ever played for because he expected the best out of us, got the best our of us and we came to understand that he truly cared about us.  I made an effort to go back and see him every year until he passed away because he made me a better person.

C.H. Collins, that the stadium is named after in Denton, was another coach/teacher that commanded respect and led his teams in this manner.  You won't find a more respected man in Denton, TX.  A great man that took boys and taught them how to be men.

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I was actually curious.  I heard a commentator during one of the games, might have been our game, talking about how the athlete of today is handled differently than in the past.  He stated that one coach had mentioned he would almost never yell or get in the face of a player today because they react differently.

I am now admittedly older and played football, basketball and baseball growing up.  The coaches that we felt like were constantly on us for something were typically leading the most successful teams.  I remember one coach that everyone was literally scared of.  He walked around the school always with his head down, rarely smiled, etc.  The first few practices on his team were nerve-racking to say the least.  Once we understood his expectations, and that if we were putting forth our best effort he would be happy, we worked hard for him every single day.  By the time the season was over, he was probably one of my favorite coaches I ever played for because he expected the best out of us, got the best our of us and we came to understand that he truly cared about us.  I made an effort to go back and see him every year until he passed away because he made me a better person.

C.H. Collins, that the stadium is named after in Denton, was another coach/teacher that commanded respect and led his teams in this manner.  You won't find a more respected man in Denton, TX.  A great man that took boys and taught them how to be men.

I think it's important to know your players and differentiate them.   You can't treat all players the same way because they're all different people & different people respond to different teaching methods.  That said, you can't have preferential treatment either.  It's really a fine line to walk.

Obviously, we don't know KD & PB's relationship, but I'm betting they're close enough that PB knows how he should & shouldn't approach KD in different situations.  

PB obviously has a clearer, outsider's vantage point on that roughing-the-passer penalty (I'm sure KD has already watched the film and saw it was indeed a good call), and, IMO, was trying to quell KD's excuse-making to refocus.   It didn't happen again, did it?   
On the flipside, I doubt you see PB tear into a guy like Cam Robertson (a true freshman) so harshly for that same mistake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just look at NIck Saban. He chews his players' asses out more than any other coach I have seen and for everyone of these:

There's this understanding by his players. By the way, every player in this video is currently in the NFL:

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow.  The thought of the Murphy twins leaving because they couldn't hack being coached by Phil Bennett rather than the golden opportunity to shine on the P5 stage (in LA of all places, perfect for selfish guys) is beyond comical.   C'mon y'all.   Jilted-lover syndrome runs deep around here with some of you.

As for Bennett yelling on the sideline, I thought it was odd that Stadium showed him about 66% of the time when showing UNT coaches on the sideline (yelling or not).   Littrell seemed to be portrayed almost like Bennett's assistant coach.

Murphy twins got poached, BUT I mean it was clear they bumped heads with Bennett many many times. 
At his age, I doubt he would want to keep up with them again hahaha

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

EDIT:  I think you may have been trying to set up the tired old "Boomer VS Millennial" argument... it's just not there.   Heck, even your arch-nemesis @Coffee and TV was on board.

100% honesty here, probably just daddy issues on my part. My stepdad and I already had conflict and then he was my coach in junior high. The way I saw him lose his shit at some of my peers really turned me off to that kind of coaching. It was mind boggling the way that I saw coaches speak to teens in that environment, and honestly half of it wasn't under the guise of "oh just trying to make you a better man" or whatever, it was just them losing their shit because they knew no other way to communicate other than intimidation. 

EDIT: to be fair to my former stepdad he was a pretty great history teacher. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Just look at NIck Saban. He chews his players' asses out more than any other coach I have seen and for everyone of these:

There's this understanding by his players. By the way, every player in this video is currently in the NFL:

He's also half the size of those players, so of course that can work with elite college athletes, but my main point was it happening at the lower levels of football, which to be fair ain't exactly relevant when talking about Bennet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1