Can someone explain why Phil yells so much?

4 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I dunno if he was having an off sight or what the deal was but I’ve never seen a coach yelling and being so confrontational with his team.  What is the purpose of that behavior?

I think he gets paid by the yell.   Seriously, he does it every game, but most times players seem to deserve it.   They just seem undisciplined in games too many times....so he yells.  Wouldn't you have some of these conservations with players "before" real game situations? 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Gee, maybe the purpose is to get over his points and make the players better. 

After some of those absolutely stupid penalties, the players deserved to be benched; they are lucky apparently that NT doesn't have the depth to do that. 

Yes but I agree that he could tone it down a bit.  It's just a bad look and it upset my girlfriend quite a bit when we were watching the game.

Give the guy some metal balls and you would have swore you were looking at Captain Queeg investigating missing strawberries last night.

The Caine Mutiny (1954) - Paranoid Breakdown Scene (8/9) | Movieclips -  YouTube

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

20 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Yes but I agree that he could tone it down a bit.  It's just a bad look and it upset my girlfriend quite a bit when we were watching the game.

Give the guy some metal balls and you would have swore you were looking at Captain Queeg investigating missing strawberries last night.

The Caine Mutiny (1954) - Paranoid Breakdown Scene (8/9) | Movieclips -  YouTube

I've seen you post this in 2 separate threads. Your girlfriend getting upset about it sounds silly.

I have not ever given second thought to coaches who yell. Times change, though, so I guess I could see people getting upset about it.

Sports and gameday atmospheres are one of the last places it is socially acceptable and encourages yelling, when you think about it. Which is why I cannot understand...

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think he gets paid by the yell.   Seriously, he does it every game, but most times players seem to deserve it.   They just seem undisciplined in games too many times....so he yells.  Wouldn't you have some of these conservations with players "before" real game situations? 

It's all coaches of his era know how to do. I was a ballboy in 7th grade for the varsity team, we were playing up in 3A even though we didn't have the enrollment for it. Despite still finishing 2nd in the district to the #2 team in the state, at halftime the head coach acted like they had just lost half their platoon in Vietnam and that was my moment when I knew I wasn't gonna bother after junior high. But yeah, I guess for people who are at the scholarship level they let it roll off of them. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

It's all coaches of his era know how to do. I was a ballboy in 7th grade for the varsity team, we were playing up in 3A even though we didn't have the enrollment for it. Despite still finishing 2nd in the district to the #2 team in the state, at halftime the head coach acted like they had just lost half their platoon in Vietnam and that was my moment when I knew I wasn't gonna bother after junior high. But yeah, I guess for people who are at the scholarship level they let it roll off of them. 

PB seems to know more than that. Someone should ask him, honestly. He cares. I wonder if it is something he is not proud of.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I agree.  I’ll be immediately requesting that Wren give the players a designated safe space at Apogee.   Some place where they are immune from having voices raised at them, and don’t have to worry about being told to perform better.  

I’m thinking the place could look like this…

05AEC781-2C9D-4B8E-A3AE-7C22177D896B.jpeg

😂😂

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I agree.  I’ll be immediately requesting that Wren give the players a designated safe space at Apogee.   Some place where they are immune from having voices raised at them, and don’t have to worry about being told to perform better.  

clapping-stand-up.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I

Being old school myself, I have absolutely no problem with it. As long as it relates to football. If a football player can't take a butt chewing for a screw up they did all last year and they're still doing it, they're in the wrong sport. Maybe try the chess club if you want something less intense.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I grew up with this coaching and didn't mind it and if I had a son in sports I wouldn't mind him having a coach like this, but this type of coaching has a short shelf life. Even if you're doing well it gets old and his career reflects that, not being at the same place for very long in a 40 plus year career (i know other things can playinto that).  This is a different world whether we like it or not and most kids don't want to play for someone who is tomato faced so much.

Maybe this was a rough game for him and he doesn't get in the red much more this season. I sit in front of the defensive bench at home games and he didn't do this too often from what I remember. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1