Was Trieb hurt?

Jonnyeagle

33 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

You're right, it was 14-10 on that drive where their qb hit Smith in the hands and he dropped it with about 1:30 or less in the first half.  Then they punt to us and we fumble inside our 20, and then held them to a field goal making it 14-13 at the half. In your scenario it would have been 17-14 them at half.  We were both wrong.

In my scenario it would have been 17-14 followed by a fumble on our next offensive play although I realize that's not how this works. The point is, a better team capitalizes in areas they didn't. They drop a walk-in TD. Our next offensive snap, we fumble and they get 3 instead of 7. That's a big turnaround in the span of 2 minutes. They left 11 points on the field right before halftime. Can't depend on that stuff when the opponents are better so going back to the original comment that started this, the "winning strategy" only worked because the opponent was poor. That's not a strategy we should be banking on.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

There was a long TD pass caught in the endzone in the second half while being doubled teamed that was called off by a holding penalty.  At least one more but I'm not watching the whole game again to find it...

Yeah that might have been their last drive, I remember that one but there was question whether he was in or not. Our guys were saying he was out and the wr didn't argue. Then the hold was called before I saw a signal either way.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

In my scenario it would have been 17-14 followed by a fumble on our next offensive play although I realize that's not how this works. The point is, a better team capitalizes in areas they didn't. They drop a walk-in TD. Our next offensive snap, we fumble and they get 3 instead of 7. That's a big turnaround in the span of 2 minutes. They left 11 points on the field right before halftime. Can't depend on that stuff when the opponents are better so going back to the original comment that started this, the "winning strategy" only worked because the opponent was poor. That's not a strategy we should be banking on.

Yeah, you can't count the fumbled hand off as lost points if you give them the td they dropped. Too many variables would be different after that.

I agree with the sentiment though. We played well but got some help. We gave them some help too though. Regardless, we play this way next week and we lose by 2 scores at least.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I don't really know what UTEP has so I am cautiously optimistic after this game.  Their OC called an odd game.  They seemed to really give up on the run early.  With backs that have produced in the past like Awatt and Hankins, that surprised me.

The announcers mentioned numerous times in the second half that UTEP looked tired and a step slow, so conditioning might have been a factor.  I haven't looked at the number of plays we ran, but we had numerous long drives.  Defensively, we rotated a lot of players on the Dline.  Saw a couple of youngsters in a DT making plays for us, so our young depth really helped.  I even saw Cam Robertson in the game.  I hope we save his redshirt and just get him in a couple of games for experience.

Either way, winning by 18 on the road in a packed house to start the year is a good sign and I saw many areas where we could improve.  Encouraged about the season, but Saturday is a step up in competition and will tell us alot.

8 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Regardless, we play this way next week and we lose by 2 scores at least.

I agree, but I like that we have a game under our belt and this will be smuT's first game.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Exactly. We overhype wins and call whatever happened the "winning strategy" but then wonder what happened when we get demolished. We're watching a different game if Tyrin Smith doesn't drop that deep TD to make the game 20-14. Factor in the 3rd and 17 saved by a targeting and things may not have ended the same. This wasn't as pretty as the final score indicates.

That's how every single football game goes though..if UNT had got a block on this play or that play or Aune didn't throw an incomplete pass on whatever drive then we also would have scored more touchdowns.  You can't play the what about game and only focus on the things we did wrong. 

Wasn't a perfect game at all, but we won by 18 and overcame a lot of mistakes on our end along the way.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but I like that we have a game under our belt and this will be smuT's first game.

Absolutely. I actually like our chances if we can clean things up. We're also playing a much better team next week with a top tier QB. We'll really need to bring our A game.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't really know what UTEP has so I am cautiously optimistic after this game.  Their OC called an odd game.  They seemed to really give up on the run early.  With backs that have produced in the past like Awatt and Hankins, that surprised me.

The announcers mentioned numerous times in the second half that UTEP looked tired and a step slow, so conditioning might have been a factor.  I haven't looked at the number of plays we ran, but we had numerous long drives.  Defensively, we rotated a lot of players on the Dline.  Saw a couple of youngsters in a DT making plays for us, so our young depth really helped.  I even saw Cam Robertson in the game.  I hope we save his redshirt and just get him in a couple of games for experience.

Either way, winning by 18 on the road in a packed house to start the year is a good sign and I saw many areas where we could improve.  Encouraged about the season, but Saturday is a step up in competition and will tell us alot.

Agree.   UTEP fans were also complaining about giving up on their run game too soon.  They have a veteran team but their OL wasn't making running lanes and their DL was being gashed by our RBs.  The announcers also mentioned their offense needed to stay on the field and give the def some rest.  The fans also said the QB tried too much to be a hero and looking to throw the home-run ball instead of more midrange passes and drives.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Yeah, you can't count the fumbled hand off as lost points if you give them the td they dropped. Too many variables would be different after that.

I agree with the sentiment though. We played well but got some help. We gave them some help too though. Regardless, we play this way next week and we lose by 2 scores at least.

You're right. Too many variables after that. And you're right on that last line too.

38 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Agree.   UTEP fans were also complaining about giving up on their run game too soon.  They have a veteran team but their OL wasn't making running lanes and their DL was being gashed by our RBs.  The announcers also mentioned their offense needed to stay on the field and give the def some rest.  The fans also said the QB tried too much to be a hero and looking to throw the home-run ball instead of more midrange passes and drives.

How were their fans?  I have heard nightmares about games at UTEP with the fans getting out of hand and fighting.  From what I have heard about our game last night, it appears that wasn't the case.

2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

That's how every single football game goes though..if UNT had got a block on this play or that play or Aune didn't throw an incomplete pass on whatever drive then we also would have scored more touchdowns.  You can't play the what about game and only focus on the things we did wrong. 

Wasn't a perfect game at all, but we won by 18 and overcame a lot of mistakes on our end along the way.

There's a difference between a missed block and a WR dropping a walk-in TD after burning your secondary.

• Upvote 1