SMU Opening/Current Line

Talon90

Smut week is always fun, until they show up, and then like dead fish you wish they would hurry and go away!

I think the opening line is more a reflection of both teams from last year and not the current versions, especially the unknown factor of all the Smut changes.

• Upvote 1

Considering a UNT road win to open up and SMUt is on the road, hasn’t played, and new coach. . .  The line is correct—trying to get bets on both sides. Our offense is too vanilla and the talent gap to great. We keep it close but fall short. 
31-24 Smut.  Hope I’m wrong.

Edited by UNT Family Man
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I hate it but right now my gut tells me take SMU minus the points. That game last night was way closer than the score showed and it could’ve gone really bad really quickly if we had been playing a SMU-caliber team rather than UTEP.

I was honestly in awe that we were winning at halftime (although we tried to cough that up as well), before blowing the doors off in the 2nd half.  Some serious defensive adjustments & firing up the RB stable put it out of reach in the 2nd half.

I dunno if SMU will shoot themselves in the foot as often as UTEP did (it’ll be their 1st game), but NT is gonna need to start much faster if we’re gonna hang with them.

• Upvote 1

What was the UTEP line?  What was the final score?

12 hours ago, DentonStang said:

There's a ton of uncertainty around SMU with almost the whole O turning over and most of the D.  This probably explains why the line is that close

Art Video GIF by jorgemariozuleta

• Haha 1

I was very confident we would beat UTEP because they’re a bad CUSA team. 

I am also very confident in this game against a good AAC opponent. When SMU shows up on the schedule, the entire university acts like they care about football for one week…and then the Mustang helmet shows up and our guys completely freak out when anything bad happens. This game will not be close, I’m sad to say. SMU is a lot better than we are everywhere. Being that this game is at Apogee, I’ll say it will be SMU 44, UNT 20. Wish it could be the complete opposite, but this is one of the games on the schedule, along with UAB and Memphis, that are just not games I see us competing in.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU has more talent than we do and Mordecai will take advantage of that.  They have a new first time head coach so we may get a little push from that but not enough to win.  Our best chance will be to outmatch their defense.  I'm concerned about our injuries.  I hope that we can keep it close which I think that we can.  It does appear that we are deeper on both sides of the ball this year and hope that the home field advantage might pull us through.  Too many unknowns for a score prediction.