DRC: Aune shines in first start to open season, guides UNT past UTEP

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So, either way you’re not putting it on Aune?  It is the quarterback’s job to hand off or pull it.  He pulled it…and then fumbled.

It was a stupid playcall either way for the last minute of the half and in poor field position.  Just down the ball and head into the locker.  Why gift UTEP free points?

• Upvote 1

Everyone complaining of the playcall on the fumble doesn't know what they're talking about and are only looking at it from hindsight. 

I suppose the playcall on the deep pass from Aune to Brown in last year's UNT/UTEP game was stupid as well?  Should've just kneeled & played for OT, right?    But we won that game based on that play.

That zone read play has been run by Aune & Ragsdale countless times in practices & games, and should be counted on to be executed reliably.

The execution was poor.   I'm not a huge fan of letting opportunities for points go to waste whenever you're down less than a TD.   At that point in the game, NT was still in a dogfight, 14-10, and needed more points.   Why not run a play you trust your guys with and see if you can't pick up a big chunk of yards behind that OL?   ...maybe put yourself in Field Goal range?  I believe NT still had all 3 timeouts at that point.

Now, if we were up 20-10 or something... yeah, go ahead and kneel it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1