****OFFICIAL UNT VS. UTEP IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

49 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We also will be at home vs. on the road. I agree we will need to play a lot better to win. But I think, assuming a normal 1st game to 2nd game improvement, we look on track to at least keep it competitive. We played them close for 3 quarters in Dallas last year and I like our current team more.

Very true. I'm excited to see what can be done. 

• Upvote 3

My biggest thought was I don't know what prompted the review of the blatant targeting/taunting during the TV timeout, but I'm glad it happened -- taking what would have been a 4th and 17 outside of field goal range to a 1st down deep in UTEP territory, keeping the drive alive and leading to a TD as UNT began to pull away. After that hit and then the obvious taunt with no flag (especially with us getting called for one earlier), I dropped some F bombs at BoomerJack's. Sorry to my Tarrant County friends.

Our run game looked fantastic but I was glad we were also able to connect for touchdowns through the air, especially in some third and goal opportunities.

While penalties overall were lopsided against us, none were against the offense and I think they only drew one false start the whole game, no big runs brought back on holding, excellent for the first game of the season.

Defense bent but did not break. Coverage in the secondary was shaky. No three-and-outs so UTEP had some inflated stats paired with the missed opportunities (missed FG, 4th and goal failure, dropped TD pass) But they got off the field when it mattered. Not giving up any garbage points was very satisfying.

Unfortunately my wife is getting induced Saturday so I will be MIA for SMU. Hopefully the hospital television has CBS Sports Network.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Which is why I said no reason we can’t keep it close, and why I didn’t say we should do the same to SMU.  

A SUNDAY EPISTLE…

Obviously, SMU will be favored to win.  What’s new? They stay steps ahead of the rest of us in what’s happening in all of the NCAA football neighborhood.  They been doing NIL long before we could spell NIL. Sonny Dykes intensified SMU’s version of NIL.  Before they started stockpiling with it, Mason Fine & the Mean Green tore them out a new body orafice one night at Apogee in 2018. SMU didn’t know what hit them.  (I’d say Fine & 30,000 Mean Green fans hit them).
Dykes even probably started 2’nd guessing his religion.  Oh well…

So much about SMU even the biggest Stang’hater has to admire albeit they won’t.  They run their program like it’s a business. It’s taken us awhile to figure that part out & start doing the same.  We’re even late on NIL, but I believe Rick V will help us catch up. 

BACK IN THE DAY:  If SMU had to pay a good black athlete to come to their lilly white campus filled with future Thurston Howells the 3’rd they would do it.    They started doing that in a serious way with Pony Expresser Eric Dickerson. That ended up being a very costly (& deathly) deal that went all the way to the Texas Governor’s Mansion. (Remember Gov. Bill ?  He signed the house bill changing our name forever to UNT back in the 80’s. Wonder why he didn’t tell his fellow alums we were no longer, uh, NTSU?🙃😆

SMU ON THE MOVE:  The Stangers have a big head start over North Texas in so many ways—except enrollment & DFW alumni numbers.  UNT students will fill half of Apogee this Saturday night for that football extravaganza.  The Green Brigade will be blowing their windpipes out attempting to outplay the 100 piece & a twirler brassy loud Mustang Band.  No matter the score the night will be full of what makes college football an event that fills 100,000 seat stadiums.  I’ve always liked the full entertainment package as far back as 1960 when I was age 10 at a Baylor vs. Rice game at venerable Rice Stadium.  I can still smell the aroma of pipe tobacco  & cigars in that venue. Never got that entire experience out of my mind, either.

RIGHT PLACE AT RIGHT TIME.    
UNT wasn’t that when the SWC was getting established.  SMU is still trying to catch that SWC lightning in a bottle with some kind of a P5 existence. (Can you blame them)?  
Still their being an ex SWC member does so much for them. They do not have the attendance of a former P5 school, yet their name still has been casually mentioned in P5 re-alignment—so has UTSA, Denton’ites & fellow DFW alums.🙄

SMU & INTEGRATION:  StangerTown integrated with Jerry Levias. Then SMU AD/HFC Hayden Fry had to beg the SMU administration to let him even talk to Port Author Lincoln’s Jerry Levias in 1964-65.  UNT had already integrated with the great Abner Haynes & Dr. Leon King 10 full years before SMU’s Fry begged his bosses to let him even say “Hi!” to the great Jerry Levias. 

SUNDAY EPISTLE Part 2–not today.      
*Just going to sit back & enjoy last nights big TV win by the Mighty Mean Green! 

Abner Haynes at Fouts Field 195__?

(I bet #86 didn’t catch him)!😆22DE735C-9024-4DDE-99AD-922E56F4EC33.jpeg.8e5721b335fc4dda333347faf82d1a4d.jpegA6F6925A-F8E7-4F9E-841F-8EA48A38D263.jpeg.ee2f94235535372e292afd58d5f3e7d8.jpeg2B36C123-9CDF-41BE-BE6E-DE65CE1BA998.jpeg.75d386d4945f385e1d859bc4e0f099bf.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Yes but I'm telling you his antics really upset people watching the game.  My girlfriend got so mad she wanted me to turn the game off.

Regardless of Bennett or any other coach/player... You need to dump this girl for asking you to turn off a North Texas game

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I have no idea what you are saying dude.  

You might want to check the definition of antics.  Antics can have a negative connotation. but certainly not in this case.

You said Bennett’s antics were an ugly part of the game. I can only read that as a negative connotation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

100% agree because there’s also juice of playing SMU, with the players, that it should be a high intensity game. Getting the rust off against an average FBS team rather than a average FCS team will help for sure.

I agree with you.  I think our players will be highly motivated.

• Upvote 2