****OFFICIAL UNT VS. UTEP IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

1 minute ago, akriesman said:

Dodged a big bullet.    Still can't believe that fumble.     Holding them to a FG was huge at the end.    Defense seems to be settling in (except for the stupid penalties).  And, the offense is picking up steam.    I like our chances if this keeps up.

All of that is on point except... This is UTEP. Arguably one of the worst teams we should face this year. And we are barely holding on.

• Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Our running game is that good.

This half has been very typical SL ball.  Way too early to sign off on anything, but if this continues we are off to another .500-ish season, incredible plays and dumbass plays, and debates full of reasons to keep/fire SL.  He will sit on that fence and watch us play tug o' war.

Sounds like a Mean Green contract extension to me!

• Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Udomann said:

All of that is on point except... This is UTEP. Arguably one of the worst teams we should face this year. And we are barely holding on.

I do think that UTEP has a pretty good defense.    They have a big crowd behind them at home also.     

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

You haven’t watched much football then. As much as this team runs the zone read, it’s a safe play call. It was just a mistake made by the players on the field.

Not safer than taking a knee.  With 36 seconds left I don’t see the risk/reward ratio making sense.  Everyone knows you are trying to run out the clock or hit a huge pass play.  Run out the clock and stop being “cute safe” 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not safer than taking a knee.  With 36 seconds left I don’t see the risk/reward ratio making sense.  Everyone knows you are trying to run out the clock or hit a huge pass play.

Agree.  On the road with a lead… gonna have the ball after half… length of the field to go.  Made zero sense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not safer than taking a knee.  With 36 seconds left I don’t see the risk/reward ratio making sense.  Everyone knows you are trying to run out the clock or hit a huge pass play.

Or play it safe and maybe break a big running play to then make the all or nothing decision...

Players have to execute. They know it.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not safer than taking a knee.  With 36 seconds left I don’t see the risk/reward ratio making sense.  Everyone knows you are trying to run out the clock or hit a huge pass play.  Run out the clock and stop being “cute safe” 

Meh… Running 36 seconds off the clock when you’ve been moving the ball would have been “cute safe”

3 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Meh… Running 36 seconds off the clock when you’ve been moving the ball would have been “cute safe”

Let me introduce you to your QB1 Austin Aune.  That’s who would lead a drive from deep in your own end with 36 seconds.  Minimal chance to even get in position for a FG 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Venson said:

For those watching online or by TV, it probably looks a lot worse. We are definitely the better football team. The officials are bailing UTEP out. We can win this football game. I am here in person and we definitely have the better product and that's my opinion. 

I agree. But you wouldn't believe these announcers. They have a no gag reflex.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

And that zone read play deep in your own territory with 36 seconds left Encapsulates why this offensive head coach needs to be fired.  What in the hell was wrong with taking a knee?   Scared of a blocked punt IF AND ONLY IF UTEP uses all their timeouts?  Oh look they have taking a knee in their playbook. 🤦🏽‍♂️

The play call was fine.   Those 2 guys have run that play a bazillion of times in practice over the past 2 years.  They just picked a horrible time to flub it.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

For those watching online or by TV, it probably looks a lot worse. We are definitely the better football team. The officials are bailing UTEP out. We can win this football game. I am here in person and we definitely have the better product and that's my opinion. 

You sure we’re watching the same game?   You’re at the Sun Bowl, right?

”Definitely”?

• Upvote 1