Littrell week zero presser

Cr1028

I dunno if he has some notes he's referencing or something on that podium, but he sure looks down a lot.  Like he isn't confident in what he's saying.   Maybe he's just tired of repeating the same things over & over.   I get that, but the mic is in his hands.  He can change that if he wanted to.

It's the countenance for me.    I know Littrell knows X's & O's well, and I bet he connects to his players well...  it's just the aura of zero motivation that he puts out there.   With a personality like that, it's gotta be difficult to motivate 85 guys to go to battle every week.   And I think it reflects in the product on the field.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m new to this, can you tell me how many phases SL wants to be successful in and what part of the day he would like to do it?

We need to start a new gameday thread tradition on gmg.com as long as Littrell is here, where instead of "NORTH!" and "TEXAS!" posts, we do "ALL 3 PHASES!" and "AT THE END OF THE DAY!" posts.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Maybe Bennett or Grant could fill in for him for the press conferences.   They are entertaining anyway.  One thing I noticed from his speaking was adjustments.  It was have to follow the game have to execute.  It sounds like he a plan for the game and he is going to stick with it.  I swear if UTEP put 11 guys in the box he would still try to run it because that his game plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's the countenance for me.    I know Littrell knows X's & O's well, and I bet he connects to his players well...  it's just the aura of zero motivation that he puts out there.   With a personality like that, it's gotta be difficult to motivate 85 guys to go to battle every week.   And I think it reflects in the product on the field.

I think I heard Matthew Brune say on a recent pod that, he honestly thinks the chemistry within this program is really, really good.  The players and coaches seem very close, enjoy working for each other.  (Not Brune) It's completely out of sync with what we are seeing on the field.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Seriously, whet do you expect at a press conference?

It isn't a pep rally.  He isn't there to get the fans fired up for the game.

He isn't going to tell you the game plan.  Even if he did, you probably wouldn't understand.

There is nothing of value in any of these press conferences and there never will be.  If he hates them, I get that.  I would hate them too.  Same stupid questions... "Tell me Coach, how do you see your team this year?".... really?

I don't see the point of complaining that they aren't entertaining or informative.  Press conferences never will be.

Move on.

Go listen to one of these from mid-2016 through mid-2018, when he was having fun, & let me know if you can see a difference in his excitement level.

Want your fans to get excited for the game?  More importantly, do you want your players excited for the game?   Show some fire!   When they ask about some players that stood out, shout from the rooftops about the 3 Walton’s you put on scholarship just days earlier.  Extol their hard work.  Just show SOMETHING!!

EDIT- I hate typing on an iPhone because it always thinks it’s smarter than you.   3 WALKONS.  Not “3 Walton’s.”

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Go listen to one of these from mid-2016 through mid-2018, when he was having fun, & let me know if you can see a difference in his excitement level.

Want your fans to get excited for the game?  More importantly, do you want your players excited for the game?   Show some fire!   When they ask about some players that stood out, shout from the rooftops about the 3 Walton’s you put on scholarship just days earlier.  Extol their hard work.  Just show SOMETHING!!

EDIT- I hate typing on an iPhone because it always thinks it’s smarter than you.   3 WALKONS.  Not “3 Walton’s.”

You do realize these weekly press conferences aren’t meant to get fans excited, right? It’s just a chance for the press to get sound bites and to pass on essential information.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I'd be pretty happy too if I knew I was gonna have number 6 slinging the ball every week.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

Fans watching a press conference to get excited for a game..... I'll pass, thank you.

We who watch this are the absolute core of the fanbase. We are the ones inviting our brother in laws to games. The ones who invite our seconds cousins' old roommate's drinking buddy who was really good at magic tricks involving pretzel sticks to games.

After watching his delivery I would have a hard time inviting my dog into the living room to watch with me while I drink super cheap whiskey.

Don't overlook any fans.

• Upvote 2

Well, believe it or not, people feed off a leader’s energy… good or bad.

Yes they can fire us up with some excitement.  No, it is not a requisite of his job.

None of this matters, anyways, if he is going to stay on this course.  0.500-ish seasons, with humiliating losses in big games and on TV.  I don't care if he is pumping sunshine at these things if he isn't winning.

30 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Yes they can fire us up with some excitement.  No, it is not a requisite of his job.

None of this matters, anyways, if he is going to stay on this course.  0.500-ish seasons, with humiliating losses in big games and on TV.  I don't care if he is pumping sunshine at these things if he isn't winning.

I wonder if his persona with the team is this low-energy guy too.  If so, it is a part of his job that he’s failing.   Look at a guy like McCasland, who’s energy is through the roof 💯.  His guys would run through a brick wall for him.  And it’s not the fake ra-ra stuff McCarney turned into later in his tenure either. 
Littrell tells the players to go out & have fun all the time.  But is he having fun anymore?  It doesn’t look like it.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, greenjoe said:

It seems to me, with the large number of professional broadcasters that have come out of North Texas, we could figure out some way to get a microphone to the members of the press asking questions. 

Amen!  I have mentioned this in the past.  It is a pet peave of mine to not be able to hear the questions and just seems very bush league.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You do realize these weekly press conferences aren’t meant to get fans excited, right? It’s just a chance for the press to get sound bites and to pass on essential information.

That's obviously the point of a PRESS conference.  Yes, I know.   
Still, fans and team members are watching.  What are you doing with this moment?   'Just getting through it' (as it appears he's doing), or using it as an opportunity to engage both the PRESS, as well as fans and team members?
I didn't go to any of the coaches' caravan stops, but if any of y'all did...  was Littrell's demeanor any different than this press conference when he was asked questions there?   The coaches' caravan is a direct way to communicate with fans.  Was he any different there?  Did he show any real excitement at all at those events?

• Upvote 1

Scattet’shootin’ & missin’ most the time. 

Come on folks—with SL it is what it is & no one on GMG is going to change it.  Even with a new generation on GMG, we rarely change anything & never have in all the years since this forum was born with other situations & projects. 

Granted, after the Kansas State debacle & SL turning down that Big 12 job because Bill Snyder would not let him hire all the assistants, many of us early on saw our coach (seemedly) go into a funk & (seemedly) let our football program get away from him at the same time. It’s been costly. 
••• We knew early on dealing with the media (with the oratory skills of a Tony Robbins) was not a strength of Seth’s, but as I recall few were calling him “mumbles” after the 9 & 3 seasons & when he almost left UNT for the Big 12 some on GMG were getting all emotional about that. 

Seems everyone on GMG sincerely has the answers for their passion—namely our football program & now with a (who the hell else?) U.S. government-induced NIL Wren Baker & Company have a new  obstacle to overcome, but right now the #1 obstacle in Mean Green Country is to—
 🦅❇️🦅❇️🦅❇️🦅❇️Ei🦅❇️🦅❇️🦅❇️🦅❇️🦅❇️
BEAT THE HELL OUT OF UTEP & THEIR 45,000 MINERS FANS FOR THE WHOLE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD TO SEE!435BE8DB-FAC6-48B6-A259-504566E338E4.jpeg.032b6764465e40c75005392fe5d9841f.jpegGMG!

A5AEDF36-7ECB-4DC1-AE3F-8CD0726FBFE6.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

That's obviously the point of a PRESS conference.  Yes, I know.   
Still, fans and team members are watching.  What are you doing with this moment?   'Just getting through it' (as it appears he's doing), or using it as an opportunity to engage both the PRESS, as well as fans and team members?
I didn't go to any of the coaches' caravan stops, but if any of y'all did...  was Littrell's demeanor any different than this press conference when he was asked questions there?   The coaches' caravan is a direct way to communicate with fans.  Was he any different there?  Did he show any real excitement at all at those events?

Nope. At the Denton event a few weeks back he acted like he couldn’t wait to get out of there as quick as possible. His energy is so different and off putting compared to Coach McCasland

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wonder if his persona with the team is this low-energy guy too.  If so, it is a part of his job that he’s failing.   Look at a guy like McCasland, who’s energy is through the roof 💯.  His guys would run through a brick wall for him.  

I think it's pretty obvious SL's guys would run through a brick wall for him, too. You don't rally 5 wins in a row after a 6 game losing streak with a team full of guys who don't want to play for you. Those kids last year could have called it after the 6th loss but they didn't. Part of that is the love for each other which includes the coaching staff.

I don't look too much into this stuff. Not trying to compare SL to all-time greats like another poster said I was doing last week but there's been plenty of low-energy coaches succeed. Look at Popovic or Belichick. The dudes look uninterested, almost like it's a burden to be at their own games. Then you've got guys like Jason Garrett who had zero energy but the players still bought in and fought for but it didn't work out. I doubt this is how SL is with his guys.

I do recognize your point though that he appeared to be enjoying himself more during Fine's years. Maybe the mental and emotional tax of being a HC for 6+ years now?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3