Conference USA football preview 2022: UTSA, UAB top teams in league in transition-The Athletic (NYT)

Greenrex

Pretty much a rehash of all we've been reading for the last few days...

"No conference in college football is undergoing as much change as Conference USA.

Top three nonconference games

UNT won its final five regular-season games last year and opens with a big DFW rivalry game against SMU. UTSA’s home opener against Houston is one of the biggest intra-G5 matchups of the year, with both teams favored to win conference titles. WKU nearly beat Indiana a year ago, narrowly losing 33-31. It could be C-USA’s best shot at a Power 5 win this year.

Top three conference games

• Western Kentucky at UTSA (Oct. 😎
  • UAB at Western Kentucky (Oct. 21)
  • UTSA at UAB (Nov. 5)

These three teams could be the best in the league, and their regular-season matchups will be huge. WKU and UTSA will meet in a C-USA championship game rematch, their third game in two seasons. Could there be a fourth in December? UAB has to go to WKU in late October and then hosts UTSA two weeks later. The Blazers want to get back to the C-USA title game, and those two games could determine if that happens.

Offensive player of the year: UTSA QB Frank Harris

Finally healthy, Harris threw for 3,161 yards with 27 touchdowns and six interceptions and ran for 561 yards and six more TDs last year. Head coach Jeff Traylor called Harris the most improved player he’s ever coached. With his top five receivers back and questions at running back, this should be more of a passing attack, and Harris is primed for a big sixth and final season.

Defensive player of the year: North Texas LB KD Davis

Davis briefly entered the transfer portal in late June, but a few days later he opted to stay at UNT. The fifth-year senior earned first-team all-conference honors after racking up 121 tackles, 13 TFLs, 5.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries (one for a touchdown) and seven quarterback hurries. He’s led the Mean Green in tackles for three consecutive years. UNT’s defense must improve again this season (78th in scoring in 2021), but Davis is a bright spot.

Projected standings

1. UTSA      2. UAB     3. Western Kentucky       4. UTEP

5. North Texas

UNT started 1-6 last year, but a switch in offensive philosophy to run the ball more helped lead the Mean Green to five consecutive wins, including one win against 11-0 UTSA, to reach a bowl game. The team averaged 283 rushing yards per game in the winning streak, which also helped the defense stay off the field. The No. 1 running back spot is open, with Ikaika Ragsdale and Ayo Adeyi back after combining for 1,030 yards and Oscar Adaway returning from an injury that cost him 2021. The 28-year-old Austin Aune has won the QB battle again. The defense improved from the rock bottom season of 2020, but with only four starters back, new stars must emerge alongside Davis.

6. FAU     7. Charlotte 8.      Middle Tennessee     9. Louisiana Tech     10. Rice     11. FIU"

The article (paywall that allows limited monthly access):

https://theathletic.com/3524269/2022/08/21/conference-usa-football-2022-predictions/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I swear all of the writers are sharing the same preview text with each other.  I don't pay for any subscription (huge rip off IMHO) but every single one of them sounds the exact same.  The is some type of plagiarism going on here or something. 

I agree, one thing that stood out was Jeff Traylor saying Frank Harris has had the biggest improvement in a player he has ever coached. That happened to Aune as well!

Edited by SigmaGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

27 minutes ago, SigmaGreen said:

I agree, one thing that stood out was Jeff Traylor saying Frank Harris has had the biggest improvement in a player he has ever coached. That happened to Aune as well!

It's a miracle!

You know what was pretty awesome about being Frank Harris last year?    Sincere McCormick.   Play-action to that guy, and things really open up for you (unless it's wet & cold, then it takes everything you have to simply hold onto the ball).

I think UTSA is going to struggle a little more than they did last year.   Not saying they're going to suck or anything.  They probably still win 8 or 9 games.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Somebody give me some insight into WKU.  They lost their OC that brought the crazy offense from HBU, lost Zappe, lost their leading WR's, lost the expected starting QB in Doege and have a defense that gives up a lot of points.

Yeah.  This is a head-scratcher for me too.   Sterns is coming back, but I dunno who's going to get him the ball.    I guess they think Helton is the man behind the success? 
I dunno, losing a good OC & an All-conference QB...  Sounds like an all-too-familiar recipe for a sharp decline if you ask me.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

I swear all of the writers are sharing the same preview text with each other.  I don't pay for any subscription (huge rip off IMHO) but every single one of them sounds the exact same.  The is some type of plagiarism going on here or something. 

I agree and we have to realize that nothing new will be written about until something new happens. Of course, it's not likely that the New York Times is going to send a writer to Denton, Texas. You know, just like the Dallas Morning News and Ft Worth Star Telegram.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's a miracle!

You know what was pretty awesome about being Frank Harris last year?    Sincere McCormick.   Play-action to that guy, and things really open up for you (unless it's wet & cold, then it takes everything you have to simply hold onto the ball).

I think UTSA is going to struggle a little more than they did last year.   Not saying they're going to suck or anything.  They probably still win 8 or 9 games.

Yeah.  This is a head-scratcher for me too.   Sterns is coming back, but I dunno who's going to get him the ball.    I guess they think Helton is the man behind the success? 
I dunno, losing a good OC & an All-conference QB...  Sounds like an all-too-familiar recipe for a sharp decline if you ask me.

Sterns signed with Tampa Bay as an unrestricted free agent.

Edited by UNTLifer

4 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I am supremely interested by the UTEP love. My inclination is to assume last year was an overachievement and they will come back down to earth - but that might be colored by the reputation of the program. 

They are a very senior heavy team.  A lot of guys in their system multiple years now.  Plus a 40,000 fan home environment is the x-factor, very favorable to them.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Is that correct, only 4 starters return?  Yikes.

More or less, although there are some guys with playing experience filling in for the departed players, not just new guys. Jackson and Brown played well as backup DTs last year. Faulkner scares me at safety but has played a lot of games. Nixon and Wood have tons of snaps under their belt. Kropp played a fair amount as well. And then the new guys coming in and taking starting roles like Richards and Trieb are high performing transfers from lower levels. Most worried about the secondary but I think we will be ok. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1