Ranked opponents in Apogee vs Alamodome

Jonnyeagle

Interesting to see that the dirtbirds are promoting their opener with Houston (#24) as only their second ranked opponent in the Alamodump.    Of course we aren't promoting jack-shit so there's that, but it made me wonder, how many ranked opponents have we had in the last 12 years at Apogee?  I'm thinking the only one is the dirtbirds?  How sad is that?  What happened with all the concerts and events promised as well as top ranked opponents that were to be there?  And this season we don't even have one Power 5 team on the schedule?  And yet many claim we can go 7-5, lose a bowl against a crappy team like Miami of Ohio and they are satisfied.  Just more broken promises.  Sorry to be so negative but I started the morning spilling my coffee on my white pants.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Interesting to see that the dirtbirds are promoting their opener with Houston (#24) as only their second ranked opponent in the Alamodump.    Of course we aren't promoting jack-shit so there's that, but it made me wonder, how many ranked opponents have we had in the last 12 years at Apogee?  I'm thinking the only one is the dirtbirds?  How sad is that?  What happened with all the concerts and events promised as well as top ranked opponents that were to be there?  And this season we don't even have one Power 5 team on the schedule?  And yet many claim we can go 7-5, lose a bowl against a crappy team like Miami of Ohio and they are satisfied.  Just more broken promises.  Sorry to be so negative but I started the morning spilling my coffee on my white pants.

Lol, the dirtbirds are all excited about hosting Cougar High.  We have hosted Houston 9 times out of our 15 total games with them (7-8 record).  

I agree that a bigger gauge of status is hosting P5 opponents overall.  And we have a larger history of that than many fans realize.  We used Texas Stadium and the Cotton Bowl for some of our home games, which included many P5 opponents, at Fouts too.  Past home games included BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas A$M, Florida State, Oregon State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Miss State, Indiana, Louisville, Cincy, and others.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I get your point but I think you need to be careful with the Cougar high label.  There are several publications stating they have an outside shot at the playoffs this year.

I always thought Cougar High was a shot at academics, not athletics.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So we’re upset that an off-campus stadium that can easily hold 35,000 opposing fans in a hotbed of high school talent draws more quality opponents who are willing to go there?   

Draws more Quality opponents?   Lol.  Their biggest OOC home opponents in the next 10 years are Army once and Air Force once.  No P5 programs at all at home.  Meanwhile we will be hosting Cal, Baylor, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Colorado.  

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/utsa/

17 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Draws more Quality opponents?   Lol.  Their biggest OOC home opponents in the next 10 years are Army once and Air Force once.  No P5 programs at all at home.  Meanwhile we will be hosting Cal, Baylor, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Colorado.  

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/utsa/

Well, since 2013 they have hosted Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Arizona, Baylor, Arizona State…and if you want to count OOC G5 teams that might move the needle, Army, UNLV, and Colorado State.

If all of the teams you mention in your post actually make it to Apogee, we’ll be about even in the OOC department.  I am FAR from a UTSA apologist, but let’s be 100% honest about the opponents we have each brought in since Apogee opened. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Well, since 2013 they have hosted Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Arizona, Baylor, Arizona State…and if you want to count OOC G5 teams that might move the needle, Army, UNLV, and Colorado State.

If all of the teams you mention in your post actually make it to Apogee, we’ll be about even in the OOC department.  I am FAR from a UTSA apologist, but let’s be 100% honest about the opponents we have each brought in since Apogee opened. 

Was talking about future quality P5 home opponents in the next 10 years.   They have none.

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Many of those were 2-1 series and we stopped doing them because it messes up your schedule. Wren has the right idea.

• Thanks 2