DRC: We are approaching 100 picks -- most of them optimistic -- entering the final hours to enter this year's Get Your Rear on the Record contest

Brett Vito

9-4.  We’ll win some that we aren’t expected to, but probably will lose one or two we shouldn’t.  Getting deeper at WR (and QB) will help with downfield, big play production.  With our running game we are going to have opportunities down field.  Just need to hit a few a game, like the old Buick days…

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I'm right there with @Brett Vito

Win - TSU, UNLV, FAU, FIU, Rice, and either LATech or WKU.
Loss - UTEP, SMU, Memphis, UTSA, UAB, and either LATech or WKU.

6-6 my friends!    Then we'll get to a bowl game against another 6-or-7-win team (I like the Kent St in the Bahamas bowl prediction), and get waxed again.

#Hit6

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: UNT fans are optimistic at Get Your Rear on the Record picks roll in
  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: UNT fans are optimistic as Get Your Rear on the Record picks roll in
48 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Get off to an ugly 1-4 start. 
SL finally gets the boot. 
PB takes over and a newly inspired team runs the table to finish 9-4 with a bowl win. 

Tracee Ellis Ross Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Highly doubtful.    Bennett is only here to 'help' Littrell.   Pretty sure he is ready to retire again after this season and hand the keys over to Gush anyway.     It will be Bloesch's show if a mid-season change is made.

• Upvote 5

6-6

I think the offense will be very good, but I’m afraid the defense might be horrid given what we lost on the defensive line. 

In my opinion, the early season schedule sets up pretty favorably even if you pencil in losses to UTEP and SMU.  FAU and LT at home lead me to believe 4-3 seems pretty realistic headed into UTSA. FIU and Rice to finish off the season should mean another year of bowl eligibility. 

My guess would be Littrell gets fired and an interim coaches the bowl. 

Edited by Pellom
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

As with any coach on the hot seat, the results as they happen probably matter more than in a normal season. 

What I mean is you probably can’t start 1-5 and expect to be given the leash to turn it around. And in that scenario, with an interim coach, the roster and fanbase will probably be checked out and we’ll be debating coaching candidates. 

So to get to bowl eligibility, whether that means 6 wins or 9 wins, or whether it means Littrell is safe or he isn’t, we probably have to win early instead of winning late. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Moobs said:

PB takes over and a newly inspired team runs the table to finish 9-4 with a bowl win. 

Tracee Ellis Ross Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

So what you’re saying is, you want me to join you in boos of Littrell when we get brown out by FAU?

Hahaha jk

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moobs said:

We can wish, but Wren said during Harry's podcast he doesn't like to fire coaches during their season.  Something to the effect the team doesn't focus on games after that.  I have seen interim coaches do very well in those situations.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

We can wish, but Wren said during Harry's podcast he doesn't like to fire coaches during their season.  Something to the effect the team doesn't focus on games after that.  I have seen interim coaches do very well in those situations.  

That often leads the AD to have to face calls to hire the interim on a full time basis if the team marginally improves under interim leadership. That likely causes a big headache and distraction during the hiring process, especially if one of the too donors takes a liking to the interim.

I think the best plan is to know by mid-November what you plan to do and implement that plan as soon as the players leave the locker room of the last game. During that late November period, if you have decided to move on from the current coach, you quietly make sure your top targets are interested and available. You have an informal deal in place the day of the last regular season game and pull the hire trigger on the earliest day allowed by law after that.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5