Help for the Memphis Game

Green Crazy

I used to live in Memphis, but I don't know the area right around the stadium and university really well.  I do know that right around there moves pretty suddenly from good area to really bad area.  Generally, the further east you go down Poplar, the better off you'll be.  Germantown is certainly fine, but that will not be close to the stadium.

• Upvote 1

If you take a little time to navigate the Airbnb website (yeah, I know it's harder now, and I'm an Airbnb host), you can figure out a general location for a listing, and make note of a major street intersection shown on the map. You could then enter that street info into google maps and look at a "street view" of the area, and just kind of look at the neighborhood, which might tell you something (how well maintained things are, etc.).  Also, reviews for a listing are expected to comment on the location (and many will mention whether it's safe or not), so I would pay attention to what reviewers are saying.

• Upvote 2

Pro-tip I've learned to prevent your car from being burglarized: when you park your car, open your glove box and arm rest compartment, pull everything out and leave it on the seat. Obviously don't leave anything of value. You're going to stick out anywhere you go with out-of-state license plates. The idea here is thiefs can see through the windows that you've got nothing worth taking in those compartments and move on to the next car.

A large portion of auto burglaries are unlocked vehicles and valuables left in plain view.

Crime happens even in the safest neighborhoods. I realize this has nothing to do with personal safety but nobody wants to deal with a broken window when they're out of town and supposed to be going to an event. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I taught at U of M and the university is in the Orange Mound neighborhood and that is not a good area. The stadium is just outside the Orange Mound neighborhood and it's not in a great area either. If you are driving and want to AirBnB, I would suggest Horn Lake, Southaven, or Olive Branch. They are all in Mississippi. I lived in Horn Lake and drove the 20 miles to the University each day.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Staying at one of the nice Marriott properties downtown for this one.

Same here, would rather spend more and be safe.

Plan on driving up Thursday and fishing in Arkansas Friday, then driving up to the game Saturday morning.

I hate that the AAC doesn’t announce TV/Time until a few weeks before, but it shouldn’t be an issue.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, greenjoe said:

Go to a good hotel.

Stayed at the Hampton right off Beale Street last week. It was fine for the price and a block from Beale and two from Rendevous BBQ. On-site parking garage for about $20. Was worth it to be able to walk around easily in the entertainment district. 

• Upvote 2