Laws That Have Unintended Consequences #4029: Why Are Pickups Getting Bigger?

One reason, is because they have to meet fuel-economy standards mandated by the government.  And how to do that?  Check this out:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/vehicles/why-pickup-trucks-keep-getting-bigger

"Americans like using pickups for personal use, and once we get a little taste of something we like, we want, as Tim Taylor said, more power. But when Barack Obama became president and we as country started to have conversations about fuel economy, wouldn’t we have seen a decrease in the size of trucks? Actually, it was the opposite.

In the Obama era, Edmunds explained, fuel economy regulations “changed from just a straight average across the board to what’s called a platform-based fuel economy standard. So your fuel economy target for a given vehicle is based on its wheelbase and its tread width, which is the width between the tires left to right. So if you multiply that you find the area of that rectangle and there’s a table that shows what your fuel-economy target is. The bigger the vehicle, the smaller the target.” 

In other words, the regulations put in place to get better mileage out of vehicles also led to an increase in truck size."

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Could you repost the unintended consequences law #3682? I thought I had faithfully recorded all of them, but it appears that I missed that one.   

Here you go:

https://www.doi.gov/ocl/hr-3682

"(T)he BLM has concerns with the bill’s provisions that would waive any cost-sharing or fee requirements when obtaining a permit for a historical-traditional use by a land grant-merced.  We believe this will result in a substantial loss of revenue, and more importantly, the BLM is concerned that these provisions could have unintended consequences resulting in the inconsistent treatment of other BLM users, including our tribal partners.  The BLM would like to work with the Sponsor and Committee on adding clarifying language to ensure consistency with other applicable laws and Federal regulations and requirements."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, LongJim said:

One reason, is because they have to meet fuel-economy standards mandated by the government.  And how to do that?  Check this out:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/vehicles/why-pickup-trucks-keep-getting-bigger

"Americans like using pickups for personal use, and once we get a little taste of something we like, we want, as Tim Taylor said, more power. But when Barack Obama became president and we as country started to have conversations about fuel economy, wouldn’t we have seen a decrease in the size of trucks? Actually, it was the opposite.

In the Obama era, Edmunds explained, fuel economy regulations “changed from just a straight average across the board to what’s called a platform-based fuel economy standard. So your fuel economy target for a given vehicle is based on its wheelbase and its tread width, which is the width between the tires left to right. So if you multiply that you find the area of that rectangle and there’s a table that shows what your fuel-economy target is. The bigger the vehicle, the smaller the target.” 

In other words, the regulations put in place to get better mileage out of vehicles also led to an increase in truck size."

your report is from 2019, and data shows a drop/leveling off in 2013/2014, still very much in the Obama administration (cutely thrown in...since no one was ever discussing fuel economy before 2008)

either way, no matter...I promise your penises are all still medium-light to medium, at best. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

The gist of the article isn't really about fuel economy, data, or who passed what law, and I couldn't give a shit.

The article is about HOW the automakers gamed the legislation using the constraints imposed by the legislation itself. 

So easily misdirected...

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, LongJim said:

The gist of the article isn't really about fuel economy, data, or who passed what law, and I couldn't give a shit.

The article is about HOW the automakers gamed the legislation using the restraints imposed by the legislation itself. 

So easily misdirected...

But he has to jump in and defend the savior of the Left at all cost and claim any criticism of said savior is racism in his own unique way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

But he has to jump in and defend the savior of the Left at all cost and claim any criticism of said savior is racism in his own unique way. 

my savior, your boogyman...six of one, half dozen the other. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, LongJim said:

The article is about HOW the automakers gamed the legislation using the restraints imposed by the legislation itself. 

So easily misdirected...

Or did they game the legislation and there’s - as always - more context needed? https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2019/01/03/new-vehicles-keep-getting-heavier-or-are-they/?sh=3ccea6a64518

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Quoner said:

Or did they game the legislation and there’s - as always - more context needed? https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2019/01/03/new-vehicles-keep-getting-heavier-or-are-they/?sh=3ccea6a64518

There are almost always "backdoor" ways around a lot of legislation.

It's almost as if lobbyist help to write it 😈

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There are almost always "backdoor" ways around a lot of legislation.

It's almost as if lobbyist help to write it 😈

Exactly, Ford or Chevy would never… but so thankful we have the Automobile Manufacturers Association around to give everyone cover. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, Quoner said:

This is some good info, but there's a difference between weight and--essentially--footprint, which is what Edmunds was describing as the factor that determines the fuel efficiency requirements of the vehicle.

Maybe that's what you're referring to as well?

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:20 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

either way, no matter...I promise your penises are all still medium-light to medium, at best. 

I was told 4 inches is too big and mine is the perfect size. 🤔

Can you clarify the "medium-light to medium"? We talking baby carrot here? Trying to make sure I wasn't lied to.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, LongJim said:

This is some good info, but there's a difference between weight and--essentially--footprint, which is what Edmunds was describing as the factor that determines the fuel efficiency requirements of the vehicle.

Maybe that's what you're referring to as well?

I don’t think either article has the exact terms we want, but having lived where every single part manufacturer is constantly pressured to lighten key systems without compromising safety/performance/durability, I can’t imagine the loopholes are huge here. Even if they are getting heavier overall, there’s a lot of performance trade offs happening with a net positive. I would guess without looking at every data source that every compromise outcome trends down just enough to make all parties happy and we’ll live in that zone until the electric market gets it together beyond weird Tesla/Elon people. The next five years should be fascinating. 

• Upvote 1