If Littrell beat UTEP will you forgive his past sins?

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Thompson 2011-2012:

57.6 competition % -  6.8 yds per attempt - 25/20 TD/INT

Aunue 2020-2021

52.3 completion % - 7.6 yds per attempt - 22/13 TD/INT

UNT played 2 P5s per year with Thompson and he didn't have somebody like Jaelon Darden catching 75% of his TD passes like Aune did in 2020. You have to look a little beyond their numbers. We've seen them both play. Thompson was a decent game manager whose best WR was Brelan Chancellor. Darden had more TDs in 2020 than Chancellor had for his career.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

UNT played 2 P5s per year with Thompson and he didn't have somebody like Jaelon Darden catching 75% of his TD passes like Aune did in 2020. You have to look a little beyond their numbers. We've seen them both play. Thompson was a decent game manager whose best WR was Brelan Chancellor. Darden had more TDs in 2020 than Chancellor had for his career.

I think you're letting 2013 cloud your judgment on Thompson. No one thought he was a good game manager his first two years. He had to fight for his job every offseason. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

image.png

As much as I do not believe Littrell is the guy, nothing would make me happier than pissing in UTEP's cheerios and beating them in front of their sell out crowd and totally deflating all the hope they had for this season. I really hope it happens. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We're not comparing the QB rooms. We're comparing the stubbornness between two different coaches who insist(ed) on starting mediocre at best QBs because it's who they were comfortable with. A QB who's a career 50% passer and averages 1 TD per game for his career shouldn't keep starting.

Yes, you are correct all the way here. I just find it amazing that this topic is even remotely equivalent after 7 years of SL being here. Its amazing, actually.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think you're letting 2013 cloud your judgment on Thompson. No one thought he was a good game manager his first two years. He had to fight for his job every offseason. 

23 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I’m hesitant to call Thompson ‘just a game manager’ when I can think of two big wins he pulled off by himself. Prior to 2013 he was not great, and I’ll concede that fact.

Other than Dunbar, who did Thompson have to work with on offense? Chancellor was the only receiving threat. No he wasn't great prior to 2013. Prior to 2013, the rosters as a whole weren't nearly as talented as what Aune has had to work with. Aune's TD numbers are inflated by Jaelon Darden's monster 2020 year...

• Upvote 1

I agree that winning the UTEP game won't make or break Littrell.  That said, going on the road to what is basically another country and playing in front of a sold out rowdy crowd to open up possibly your defining season is a BIG deal.  Littrell is battling not only for his job but also his ability to remain a FBS head coach.  The stakes are extremely high this season for Littrell and UNT.  Beating UTEP could really change the perception and mindset of the fanbase in regards to Littrell heading into a battle against SMU at home.   I could see at UTEP win on the road impact attendance in a big way for that SMU game as well.  Maybe 5K+.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I definitely did! In fact I went to the UT game all hyped up ready to go. 

Then we were there together my friend and I have never seen until that game a quarterback on ANY level complete more passes to the opposing team than his own. I have yet to see it again and probably never will. I can’t remember how many 5 game winning streaks McNulty went on but I think it was zero. He won 2 games as a starter in his entire career and the 2014 defense was better than 2021’s. I get your frustration, really do, but to put these two in the same category is outrageous. You want to see someone different because Aune hasn’t been great but I think if you have a little patience he might surprise you. Just see how UTEP goes and if he doesn’t complete better than 52% of his passes (unless it is due to drops of clearly catchable balls which I doubt will happen), I will jump on the “someone else starting for the SMU game” bandwagon with you.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

One thing DMac had that I think has to be in the next coach is personality. Very positive, very uplifting in those first 3.5 years he was in Denton. Loved hearing him talk about this place and its potential. The moment that I knew he was done was when he was complaining about this still being North Texas and not getting recruits. It was the Dickey model that was sure to fail once any remaining talent on the team left.

Danny was a jewel and I am still very disappointed that UNT let him go.  That firing probably set the program back a decade.  He had one bad game and they cut bait.  Huge mistake by the BOR and RV.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 5
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Danny was a jewel and I am still very disappointed that UNT let him go.  That firing probably set the program back a decade.  He had one bad game and they cut bait.  Huge mistake by the BOR and RV.

You mean the most embarrassing loss in school history on Homecoming night?

Schitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What helped DT the most was that he had a solid defense to get him the ball back and a solid OL to block for him. 

Absolutely... in 2013. Which is why I said in an earlier post you have to look a little further than the surface stats for DT. The team was built to ground and pound and play strong defense. What was expected of him and how the offense was ran is reflected in those "poor" stats. SL's teams are supposed to be passing offenses so when we look at Aune's numbers and compare the two, it's misleading. Aune's numbers are inflated by Darden's season in 2020 just like Bean's were. Take away Darden and last year is what you get. DT never had that kind of receiving threat.

I agree with everything you said, though.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

38 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I think you may be dipping in to the Grey Goose that Danny like so much.  One bad loss?  I am assuming you are referencing the Portland St. disaster.  Our games in 2015 prior to that embarrassment were:

smu: L 31 - 13

Rice: L 38 - 24

Iowa: L 62 - 16

Southern Miss: L 49 - 14

Which one of these were not a "bad game"?

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Actually Danny won a bowl game for us can Seth say that?   Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

I loved every bit of that 2013 HOD win but let's not overvalue that win against a terrible 7-win opponent with only a handful of winning seasons in the past 30 years. SL played an 11-win Troy team that beat a top 25 LSU earlier in the year and an 11-win Utah State with a QB that was later drafted in the first round. I'm disappointed by the results but the HOD win doesn't put Danny Mac over SL.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

What helped DT the most was that he had a solid defense to get him the ball back and a solid OL to block for him. Its why we were very bullish on DMac. He came here with a reputation for building up linemen, on both sides. He came with a smashmouth approach and an energetic personality.

And then North Texas' culture beat him into the ground, nearly killing him. He couldn't believe that fans wouldn't flock to the stadium after we won the HoD Bowl in 2013 and had a 9-win season. He couldn't believe recruits wouldn't even sniff coming here, despite our location and new conference affiliation in CUSA. And his view of Greer and McNulty being a legit busdriver went out the door long before he ever recognized that sad reality. Once La Tech beat the absolute crap out of us in 2014 at home, his momentum as our head coach was starting very quickly to die. And a year later, against FCS Portland State, on Homecoming, while winless, we suffered the worst loss in modern college football, losing 66-7, and that era of UNT football was over. It truly was a situation that nobody could've imagined happening on January 1st, 2014 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

One thing DMac had that I think has to be in the next coach is personality. Very positive, very uplifting in those first 3.5 years he was in Denton. Loved hearing him talk about this place and its potential. The moment that I knew he was done was when he was complaining about this still being North Texas and not getting recruits. It was the Dickey model that was sure to fail once any remaining talent on the team left. And it's exactly what happened. SL has zero personality--just mumbles and paces along the sideline, with absolutely no connection to the UNT community, which has certainly grown some, but is still in big need of someone to galvanize the community here to grow exponentially. Even if he gets his extension, which I believe he will because of the easy schedule, he isn't the guy to ever truly bring us into being a ranked program. Its why I love the Gary Patterson idea--immediate reputation as being a great coach, a hard-hitting identity, and a guy who can galvanize the community. He did in FW, which I know is severely different from Denton, but I think he could bring some of that swagger here. Maybe not, maybe this place is just not meant to ever be anything more than it's been since Fry left town in 1978. But GP is the closest thing to Hayden Fry that we could duplicate here, hiring someone fired from a local SWC team and still having enough connections and enough fire in the belly to make things happen in Denton. And that's the only hire we have ever made that turned golden for us in the last 50 years of football.

And then North Texas' culture beat him into the ground, nearly killing him.

Are you really blaming McCarney's failures on UNT? hahaha

He failed at UNT because he couldn't recruit. Once all of Dodge's guys left McCarney's lack of recruiting was exposed. It had nothing to do with UNT's culture. Why would fans flock to Apogee in 2014 when it was quickly evident 2013 was just a mirage? We were blown out in 4 of the first 6 games.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Are you really blaming McCarney's failures on UNT? hahaha

He failed at UNT because he couldn't recruit. Once all of Dodge's guys left McCarney's lack of recruiting was exposed. It had nothing to do with UNT's culture. Why would fans flock to Apogee in 2014 when it was quickly evident 2013 was just a mirage? We were blown out in 4 of the first 6 games.

Yeah, I'm blaming the culture here on McCarney's failures. 

The guy was as optimistic as you could find from the moment he was hired in early 2011 until the fall of 2014. Then, with McNulty and Greer sucking hard, he just started losing it. 

And in 2014, we played SMU and LT in our first two home games at Apogee. And we didn't have anywhere close to a full house...after the best season we had had in a long, long time. I think it all just beat him into the ground.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1