If Littrell beat UTEP will you forgive his past sins?

12 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

If Seth wins the opener agasinst a big UTEP crowd in an even line game can he be forgiven for his past failures?  

What matters is what Littrell does in the future, beating UTEP would be a good start.

Forgiving him for the past, I don't think losing football games is a major sin.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Littrell's seat has to be very very hot right now.   
UTEP is going to be a fantastic barometer of what we should expect from this team.   UTEP is a team that is right with us record-wise, and they have some really nice players, just like us.   

Beat them, on the road, and I can look past whatever happens when SMU comes to Denton.  I'd expect a win at UNLV & obviously TXSouthern.    

Lose to UTEP, and the hot-seat burner has to be turned up to 10.  He'd need to beat UNLV & find some surprises during conference play to keep his job.
Lose at UTEP, then lose at UNLV, and Littrell needs to go September 18th.   Give Bloesch a chance to rally the team for 2 weeks before the remainder of conference play to see what he can do. 
If Bloesch winds up .500 or less, get on the phone with Coach Patterson and come to an agreement before bowl season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Bloesch winds up .500 or less, get on the phone with Coach Patterson and come to an agreement before bowl season.

Now we're talking! The AAC has attracted some really nice coaches lately. I'd love to see what we can get if SL keeps down this path. Patterson would be a huge get.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

Your thread title shows exactly how far we've fallen. 

*IF* we beat UTEP. One of the CUSA bottom feeders.

Beating UTEP shouldn't be a goal but a g*damned American right guaranteed by the consitution.

I'll take the win, but I sure as heck am not forgiving SL for getting us to this point.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Your thread title shows exactly how far we've fallen. 

*IF* we beat UTEP. One of the CUSA bottom feeders.

Beating UTEP shouldn't be a goal but a g*damned American right guaranteed by the consitution.

I'll take the win, but I sure as heck am not forgiving SL for getting us to this point.

You're not paying attention.   Hence, why the question is somewhat valid.   

But 1 win doesn't erase 3 years of failure.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now we're talking! The AAC has attracted some really nice coaches lately. I'd love to see what we can get if SL keeps down this path. Patterson would be a huge get.

no thanks we have already gone the route of hiring a retired retread with only stories of the past left, ended badly with the worst beating ever for an FBS team by FCS

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, untbowler said:

no thanks we have already gone the route of hiring a retired retread with only stories of the past left, ended badly with the worst beating ever for an FBS team by FCS

I understand the apprehension. At the same time, if you eliminate future candidates based on prior hires that didn't turn out well, you're going to run out of candidates.

I also think it's a poor comparison. McCarney wasn't a great hire. His best at Iowa State was a 9-win season. He never did better than 7 wins otherwise. Patterson had eleven 10+ win seasons in 21 years and only 5 losing seasons in that span.

I'm not saying he be hired immediately. Just saying a guy like him should be considered.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

Taking a W home from the Sun Bowl would be a big deal but let's not get carried away. Last time I checked the season has more than one game.

You are correct. But lose that UTEP game your probably going to start one and four before getting to a CUSA bottom feeder...which we maybe considered one also....

Just WIN!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I understand the apprehension. At the same time, if you eliminate future candidates based on prior hires that didn't turn out well, you're going to run out of candidates.

I also think it's a poor comparison. McCarney wasn't a great hire. His best at Iowa State was a 9-win season. He never did better than 7 wins otherwise. Patterson had eleven 10+ win seasons in 21 years and only 5 losing seasons in that span.

I'm not saying he be hired immediately. Just saying a guy like him should be considered.

A big NO to the original tread question!

As far as Patterson, he's a great coach.  I think he got burnt out at TCU and needed a break or a reset.  He has a temper too.  I don't know that we could afford him, or him even consider us.  Some quality coaches do enjoy the challenge of a rebuild.

Edited by NT80

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I don’t care if we lose every other game, JUST BEAT SMU AND UTSA.

This is partly a joke, but I’d rather have that than losing both…

If we win the conference championship and a good bowl game, then yes. 

Wait, you’d really rather go 7-5 with wins vs SMU, UTSA than 10-2 with both losses coming against them? 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I don't know that we could afford him, or him even consider us. 

I think we're in for a big awakening. AAC teams have been getting big name coaches for a few years now. The conference has established itself as a stepping stone to get to a P5. It'll be up to the new schools, such as UNT, to keep that trend. The school is going to have to spend.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Wait, you’d really rather go 7-5 with wins vs SMU, UTSA than 10-2 with both losses coming against them? 

As odd as it sounds, I don't 100% disagree. I mean, going into the AAC after beating their resident sugar daddy and a new entrant has a nice appeal.

10-2 isn't really an option on the menu right now either though. So... hooray for the little wins?

Edited by Udomann
  • Haha 1