DRC: Aune thrilled to win QB job to start season, says he's grown since last year; Gunnell plans to stay at UNT for long term

Brett Vito

10 hours ago, Moobs said:

Here’s my guess on how this plays out…

Aune struggles at UTEP…

Aune struggles vs SMUt and gets left in waaaaay too long and it messes with his head. Gunnell comes in late, but looks good. Team rallies around a change. 

Gunnell starts the rest of the year. 

I need a Gunnell revenge game vs Memphis like I need air. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Unless Bloesch immersed himself in QB mechanics over the past year, how would an OL coach teach a QB coach any details on throwing motion, foot placement, hip/shoulder alignment, etc... that he hasn't already heard?

Maybe Bloesch did dive into QB coaching master classes over the past year.  I guess we will find out soon.

Again, understanding blocking schemes in front of him will be critical.   Knowing the reads based on pre-snap alignments will be critical.  These are things I trust Bloesch to coach, for sure.

I think the point being made is often times, coaches have broader areas of knowledge than their titles indicate. Look at the New England Patriots. Bill Belicheck has been known to hire coaches for positions they've never officially coached before just for the sake of accumulating coaching talent. It's worked for him. Maybe what's happening here?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Moobs said:

Here’s my guess on how this plays out…

Aune struggles at UTEP…

Aune struggles vs SMUt and gets left in waaaaay too long and it messes with his head. Gunnell comes in late, but looks good. Team rallies around a change. 

Gunnell starts the rest of the year. 

I think something similar will happen but I think it'll be game 1 instead. SL doesn't get a feel good game like Northwestern state to start so I think we'll see the time-line moved up a few quarters.

That or we'll be so run heavy that Aune's flaws will be masked by the limited passing attempts and he'll start well beyond SMU. If this is true, I'll be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think the point being made is often times, coaches have broader areas of knowledge than their titles indicate. Look at the New England Patriots. Bill Belicheck has been known to hire coaches for positions they've never officially coached before just for the sake of accumulating coaching talent. It's worked for him. Maybe what's happening here?

Comparing arguably the greatest coach in NFL history to a guy that's had two 9 win seasons at a G5 school is a bit of a stretch.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Awesome.  We can count on Aune finally having a healthy WR corps to thow at the the feet of.

This. If he doesn’t get that completion percentage up towards 60 percent, it will be another long season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Comparing arguably the greatest coach in NFL history to a guy that's had two 9 win seasons at a G5 school is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not comparing the two. I'm using Belicheck as an example because he's one of the most successful coaches and evidence that this line of thinking works. If I used a recent Browns HC, you'd point out how it hasn't worked for them... and I do say recent since Bill coached the Browns 30 years ago. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Awesome.  We can count on Aune finally having a healthy WR corps to thow at the the feet of.

5 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Don't forget the classic wide open downfield overthrow. 

If I recieved $1,000 every time Aune hit a receiver in stride downfield, I'd be broke. Guess it does make for a good drinking game though. Take a shot every time Aune completes a pass over 10 yards.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Beyond their official title? Probably. Bloesche beyond Aune? Not likely.

Why?

Learning the mechanics of a position isn't difficult.  Executing those mechanics is another thing.  Bloesch has the knowledge to observe the mechanics and alert the QB's if something is off.  Shanbour will be there to help with the nuances of the position and "feel" during the game.

Hell, if anyone or anything has proven this can be successful it would be this board and the number of posters that have never played D1 football or QB knowing more than one of our coaches.😄

To the quote mentioned, this is huge in my eyes in allowing Aune to settle into the pocket, understand where pressure is coming from and moving away from those areas when needed.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

1:10 mark

Easy to cherry pick from highlights (literally in the name) while completely ignoring that he went 15/33 that game. That game was won because he was only slightly better than Hardison. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a QB that wins me games rather than hoping to have one that just tries not to lose them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Easy to cherry pick from highlights (literally in the name) while completely ignoring that he went 15/33 that game. That game was won because he was only slightly better than Hardison. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a QB that wins me games rather than hoping to have one that just tries not to lose them. 

I intentionally cherry picked because you said zero. I say you’d have had at least $1,000. That doesn’t mean he is the best quarterback on the roster, it only means that your absolute statement that he has never hit a receiver in stride was incorrect.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You'd at least be $1k richer.     

That throw right there saved Seth Littrell's job.   I was there, and just as stunned as the dudes calling the game in that highlight.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

If he would have hit a couple of those receivers in stride they would have scored.  Some of those highlight throws were under thrown, the receiver had to wait for the ball.   The one at the end of game was very good but we need to see that ball a lot more constantly.  He missed some easy pass last year with the receivers were wide open.  He has to do better this year.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

If he would have hit a couple of those receivers in stride they would have scored.  Some of those highlight throws were under thrown, the receiver had to wait for the ball.   The one at the end of game was very good but we need to see that ball a lot more constantly.  He missed some easy pass last year with the receivers were wide open.  He has to do better this year.

This was also a Home game.  I want to see him make these passes in front of 40,000 hostile UTEP fans. 

Then we can say "good job"!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Man we are brutal 

im going to take a step back and say, against what I think will actually happen, I hope to God our guys get out there and whip some ass. Will never root against the Mean Green.

It's not like it's unfounded. Having a good, consistent QB has been an issue for us since Fine left and what does our coach do? Bring in 4 (5 if you count Ruder from last year) outside QB's, convert one to a linebacker, and still trot out the same inconsistent QB that many of us feel we have seen the ceiling of.  Remind me what the definition of insanity is...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

It's not like it's unfounded. Having a good, consistent QB has been an issue for us since Fine left and what does our coach do? Bring in 4 (5 if you count Ruder from last year) outside QB's, convert one to a linebacker, and still trot out the same inconsistent QB that many of us feel we have seen the ceiling of.  Remind me what the definition of insanity is...

Sounds so familiar. Aune is more DT than he ever was McNuggets.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1