DRC: Aune thrilled to win QB job to start season, says he's grown since last year; Gunnell plans to stay at UNT for long term

Brett Vito

I'm willing to give Aune one more shot with a healthy WR room, but it's hard to shake the feeling that we've already seen him at his best.  Decent game manager, but we will never win a game because of something Austin Aune does..on the flip side I feel that we have seen this team lose games because of something he did.

Gunnell winning the job in 3 weeks going against a guy in year 5 with the program and 2 years as a "starter" was always going to be a tough task and I'd hate to throw him in unprepared.  Sucks that our first game is an important one, but my guess is that we turn to someone else after SMU.  Always hoping for the best though, would love to see Aune go out with a bang his last year here.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

I'm willing to give Aune one more shot with a healthy WR room, but it's hard to shake the feeling that we've already seen him at his best.  Decent game manager, but we will never win a game because of something Austin Aune does..on the flip side I feel that we have seen this team lose games because of something he did.

Gunnell winning the job in 3 weeks going against a guy in year 5 with the program and 2 years as a "starter" was always going to be a tough task and I'd hate to throw him in unprepared.  Sucks that our first game is an important one, but my guess is that we turn to someone else after SMU.  Always hoping for the best though, would love to see Aune go out with a bang his last year here.

I agree it kinda sucks our first game is so massive. If our opener was against Texas Southern I think there’s a good chance Gunnell is our starter right now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

In the past, I liked Aune as a game manager 80% of the time.  But the other 20% he seemed to panic and either made poor passes to wide open receivers or just poor decisions with the play.  Maybe now he has "matured"?, lol. 

If not, then Gunnell is the next man up.  His game action looks good on tape.  I am anxious to see him with NT, hopefully at some point against UTEP, just to see what we have.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe I am different than most, but not the exact quote I want to see from the starting QB  --

"Having coach Bloesch in the [quarterbacks] room helped me learn more about pass protection...."

Make no mistake, this is definitely important.  I would hope an OC would do this with his QBs.  And having an OL coach as an OC is not a bad thing.  
The problem is, Bloesch can’t tell Aune 1 single bit of information around QB mechanics that Aune doesn’t already know.   And when Aune struggles with mechanics (evidenced by his poor comp%), that’s a recipe for disaster.  We’re relying on Shanbour to be that coach.   Can he do it?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

“This is where I will spend the rest of my eligibility,” Aune said. “I don’t think there is anything that could pull me away from here. I like the people, the culture and being in Texas.”

To clarify, did Aune or Gunnell say this?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The problem is, Bloesch can’t tell Aune 1 single bit of information around QB mechanics that Aune doesn’t already know.

I’m honestly just asking a question here and not trying to stir the pot. Is this speculation or do we know this to be true? I feel like most coaches are able to coach technique beyond their official title.

• Upvote 6

34 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m honestly just asking a question here and not trying to stir the pot. Is this speculation or do we know this to be true? I feel like most coaches are able to coach technique beyond their official title.

Beyond their official title? Probably. Bloesche beyond Aune? Not likely.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Moobs said:

Here’s my guess on how this plays out…

Aune struggles at UTEP…

Aune struggles vs SMUt and gets left in waaaaay too long and it messes with his head. Gunnell comes in late, but looks good. Team rallies around a change. 

Gunnell starts the rest of the year. 

If true, monumental failure on Seth. You can't keep losing to smu, certainly not utep. Just play the best players from the start

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Unless Bloesch immersed himself in QB mechanics over the past year, how would an OL coach teach a QB coach any details on throwing motion, foot placement, hip/shoulder alignment, etc... that he hasn't already heard?

Maybe Bloesch did dive into QB coaching master classes over the past year.  I guess we will find out soon.

Again, understanding blocking schemes in front of him will be critical.   Knowing the reads based on pre-snap alignments will be critical.  These are things I trust Bloesch to coach, for sure.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1