Ten days out until kickoff

southsideguy

I can honestly say I have no excitement about the upcoming season.   I am usually pretty fired up for the season to start.  SL stepped on my green sunglasses at the Frisco classic game and the stadium store doesn't carry them anymore.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 12

53 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I can honestly say I have no excitement about the upcoming season.   I am usually pretty fired up for the season to start.  SL stepped on my green sunglasses at the Frisco classic game and the stadium store doesn't carry them anymore.

10 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes, and 10 sec or so, and the season begins. Make no mistake, this is a big game and a lot is riding on it. Beat them at their sell out and we could have an unexpectedly good season.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I went to the stadium store to pick up my tickets/parking passes today (yes, I gave in and supported the team).  I hope Voertman steps up their game at the store. They had no selection  and place was near empty.   I asked the person working there is more inventory coming, I got the student answer "I don't know but I doubt it".  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I went to the stadium store to pick up my tickets/parking passes today (yes, I gave in and supported the team).  I hope Voertman steps up their game at the store. They had no selection  and place was near empty.   I asked the person working there is more inventory coming, I got the student answer "I don't know but I doubt it".  

So, Lots of buzz for the Sellout Apogee promotion?....oh, wait...no.... wrong area code!   

Sorry, but Seth has sucked all the NT Football momentum out of me.  

I am happy however, the Rangers have fired both their Manager and now GM too...better days ahead for them!!   Wish it was for Mean Green Football also, but....  those dark clouds to the West is El Paso, waiting for us...

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

This is a good question for Wren in the next interview. They should have had a plan in place to make sure merchandise was available. This should have been a part of any agreement in place before they allowed them to start running it.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, NT80 said:

So, Lots of buzz for the Sellout Apogee promotion?....oh, wait...no.... wrong area code!   

I am happy however, the Rangers have fired both their Manager and now GM too...better days ahead for them!!   Wish it was for Mean Green Football also, but....  those dark clouds to the West is El Paso, waiting for us...

Well, if SL wins 6 games or less, you'll get your wish...being that we will only have to buy out that last year of his contract is why I'm excited for this season. Now, that schedule is Charmin soft and the BMDs like him, so it makes this season even more interesting. I'll tell you this much--I'm done with the program if he keeps his job with anything less than 7 regular season wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, SL pissed in my Green Kool-aid after the Bowl Game but I think college football, in general, has lost a lot of luster for me. At this point, we know it will be probably be the same 5 or so teams competing for the National Championship leaving the rest to fight for the scraps. If they don't win this year, those same teams will cherry pick the best players from the portal or encourage the best players to enter the portal to pick them up and offer them a massive NIL deal, making the rich richer. I still enjoy college football but definitely much less than I used to. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, NT80 said:

That definitely gave me some pep in my step today

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yes, SL pissed in my Green Kool-aid after the Bowl Game but I think college football, in general, has lost a lot of luster for me. At this point, we know it will be probably be the same 5 or so teams competing for the National Championship leaving the rest to fight for the scraps. If they don't win this year, those same teams will cherry pick the best players from the portal or encourage the best players to enter the portal to pick them up and offer them a massive NIL deal, making the rich richer. I still enjoy college football but definitely much less than I used to. 

If you go back to 1961 thru 2021, we have seen 20 AP champions--and three are complete outliers (Pitt in 1976, BYU in 1984, and Colorado in 1990) Talk about protecting the big brands...even schools with gigantic budgets or history aren't on that list. A&M, Arkansas, Michigan State, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Wisconsin, North Carolina, etc...

The sport is boring and stale. And even when they make a playoff setup, it still gets effed up. Its why I want those NFL-lite programs to go away. They can keep playing their minor league football and let the rest of us go back to being amateurs and have a chance to have our kids be a national champion in a sport that crowns a winner in every level of football...except one, the G5 level of college football.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If you go back to 1961 thru 2021, we have seen 20 AP champions--and three are complete outliers (Pitt in 1976, BYU in 1984, and Colorado in 1990) Talk about protecting the big brands...even schools with gigantic budgets or history aren't on that list. A&M, Arkansas, Michigan State, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Wisconsin, North Carolina, etc...

The sport is boring and stale. And even when they make a playoff setup, it still gets effed up. Its why I want those NFL-lite programs to go away. They can keep playing their minor league football and let the rest of us go back to being amateurs and have a chance to have our kids be a national champion in a sport that crowns a winner in every level of football...except one, the G5 level of college football.

Agreed. At least make for some better parity

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

It was pretty sparse at the kickoff event a few weeks back, and they (Voertman's) said it's because everything is on backorder, some of it dating back to November purchase orders.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Here's the good news.  At the same time we're kicking off against SMU on September 3rd, #5 Notre Dame and #2 Ohio State are kicking off.   If SL has us as prepared as I expect he will, you can go watch two top 5 teams play the last three quarters or so.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Yup - and the Initial AP Top 5 for 2022 are Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, and Notre Dame (all part of the 20 champions list over the past 60 years).  *Yawn*

Still, college football season is the best time of the year, and I'm always excited for Mean Green football!  Tailgating with friends, day drinking, bands, pretty young women, evening drinking, an occasional surprise win... what's not to love?  😎

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Looks like change may be coming sooner than we expected:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34414293

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Looks like change may be coming sooner than we expected:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34414293

This was a CFP Managers meeting (10 conference Presidents + ND) that put the idea out there to self-govern football outside the NCAA.  There is also a CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners + ND AD) that wasn't involved in this Zoom meeting.

I like the idea they mention again about possibly expanding the CFP to 12 teams, if for no other reason than to get some different teams into it.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This was a CFP Managers meeting (10 conference Presidents + ND) that put the idea out there to self-govern football outside the NCAA.  There is also a CFP Management Committee (10 conference commissioners + ND AD) that wasn't involved in this Zoom meeting.

I like the idea they mention again about possibly expanding the CFP to 12 teams, if for no other reason than to get some different teams into it.  

It should really be done similar to d3 playoffs.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

When I checked the store out at the 1st scrimmage, 1/2 the inventory was in the store, and the other 1/2 was on the club level.  Maybe since there’s  the NIL event on Friday, they left the items at the club level?

Overall, I’m looking forward to the Voertman’s change.