Who Am I?

UNTLifer

On 8/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, greenjoe said:

Iseed Khoury told a great story of finishing up a soccer game, rushing to the airport in his soccer kit and flying out to meet the football team.  He told me he had never seen a football when he arrived in Denton from Iran.  He was the women’s soccer coach at Denton High and was hired away to another high school.  McKinney, I think.  Good guy and a notable alum.  

Correction.  Iseed was a native of Israel; born in Bethlehem.  I believe that he was living in Jerusalem when he emigrated here.

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, greenjoe said:

Iseed Khoury told a great story of finishing up a soccer game, rushing to the airport in his soccer kit and flying out to meet the football team.  He told me he had never seen a football when he arrived in Denton from Iran.  He was the women’s soccer coach at Denton High and was hired away to another high school.  McKinney, I think.  Good guy and a notable alum.  

Correction.  Iseed was a native of Israel; born in Bethlehem.  I believe that he was living in Jerusalem when he emigrated here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought here on Lifer's latest prompt: scrolling through that 2003 roster still gives me goosebumps, and every new visit reveals a new perspective.

We had so much longevity and depth on those Belt teams.  Many, many players that would received 2, 3, and even 4 years of postseason accolades.

You're likely not going to see anything like that in this day and age of Xfers/NIL.  Too much moving around.

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

He lettered four years. He couldn't have lettered without playing. So, he played four years.

Thanks Silver.  I figure you have the game programs from those seasons, which I would consider more definitive.  I only have the MGS.com website, which shows 3 seasons.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/nick-zuniga/1999

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Thanks Silver.  I figure you have the game programs from those seasons, which I would consider more definitive.  I only have the MGS.com website, which shows 3 seasons.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/nick-zuniga/1999

I mainly use a 2005 media guide. 

which I don't read very carefully. Pete Morris DID get three awards, but two of them were the same year.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Walter Chapman.

Once called "a 5-foot-10, 240-pound stick of dynamite" by Texas Football magazine, Walter Chapman was a quick, powerful nose tackle who was a four-year starter for the Mean Green before, ultimately, earning All-America honors.

Chapman was named the Missouri Valley Conference's freshman defensive player of the year in 1973 and first team All-MVC as a sophomore in 1974. Following North Texas’s departure from the MVC, Chapman was named to the National Independents All-Star first team in 1975. During that season, Chapman wreaked havoc against Houston, registering 14 tackles, nine for loss, and six assists in a 28-0 victory at Texas Stadium. For his performance, he was named Lineman of the Week by the Associated Press and Defensive Player of the Week by Sports Illustrated.

After a season-ending knee injury in 1976, Chapman came back for a stellar senior season in 1977, helping the Mean Green to a 10-1 season that ended with the team ranked No. 16 in the nation by United Press International (UPI).

Chapman closed out his playing career by earning third-team All-America honors from Football News and honorable mention All-America from the AP. Prior to Chapman's senior season, Mean Green head coach Hayden Fry called the Grand Prairie native, "the finest defensive lineman I've ever seen."

After graduation, Chapman played with the Shreveport Steamers, then coached at Carter-Riverside High School and A. Maceo Smith High School. Walter Chapman passed away in 1996.

In 2013, Chapman was named to the North Texas All-Century football team.

Edited by UNTLifer

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Ron Shanklin

Yes sir.

https://stillcurtain.com/2015/04/29/steelers-draft-legend-ronnie-shanklin/

Selected after Terry Bradshaw and before Mel Blount, Ronnie Shanklin was drafted to a Pittsburgh Steelers squad that did not have much in terms of talent at when it came to wide receiver.

Coming off a dismal 1-13 season, the organization was looking for answers in a hurry. Shanklin was one of three receivers the Steelers drafted for the newest quarterback selected first overall from Louisiana Tech University.

Have you ever wondered who it was that caught the first scoring pass the Blonde Bomber threw in his NFL career? You guessed it. It would take him until week five of his rookie season to do so, but Bradshaw’s first touchdown throw was a 67 yard catch and run to Shanklin that would give the Steelers the lead, and eventual win against the Houston Oilers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

No more easy ones.

Next Up: North Texas being his only offer, he arrived on campus as an undersized, low 2 star rated prospect.

So almost every recruit of the modern rating era? 
what do I win?

• Haha 1