Who Am I?

UNTLifer

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We have a winner.

Played his freshman season at UT backing up Bobby Layne prior to transferring to North Texas after WWII.  Graduated and coached and taught in the area prior to starting Martin-Eagle Oil Company.

Did he also own "Zeke's" that was across the street from the Athletic Dept offices?

Zeke Martin:

As quarterback of the Eagles from 1947 to 1950, Zeke Martin earned all-conference recognition three-straight seasons.

Martin was originally at the University of Texas, backing up future hall-of-fame quarterback Bobby Lane. His collegiate career, however, was interrupted by World War II, during which he served in the merchant marines. After the war he played amateur sports before enrolling at North Texas.

As North Texas, Martin excelled. He lettered four years, playing quarterback, defensive back and punter, and took over the starting quarterback duties after Fred McCain graduated.

In 1949, North Texas' first year in the Gulf Coast Conference, Martin led the league in passing and made the All-Gulf Coast Conference team. He passed for 1,416 yards and 18 touchdowns. In addition to football, Martin played tennis and basketball for North Texas.

Martin was drafted by the Washington Redskins of the NFL. After his playing days, he became a high-school teacher and coach at Denison and Denton High Schools. In 1960, he began a business career by starting the Martin-Eagle Oil Company.

Martin later served as the mayor of Denton for two years.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, UNTLifer said:

I do not know.  That was before "my time".

This is an ad in the "Campus Chat" from Sept 26 1962. The "Drive-In" was still doing business in 1972 because when I was working for North Texas, the crew that I worked on often took afternoon breaks at Zeke's. One time, Coach Rust came over for an afternoon break and he talked with me about football. Specifically, the two players that he coached from Decatur.

Anyway, I have always wondered if "Zeke's" was originally owned by Zeke Martin.

image.png.5769888159961c9e39b74e7d07ce8449.png

Did a little more research, and found this in an article from the "North Texan" dated Aug. 25th 2009.

Zeke opened his first gas station on the corner of Highland Street and Avenue C. At the same location, he ran Mean Green Grocery and Zeke’s Drive-in, a hamburger shack catering to students in the 1960s. Martin Eagle Oil Co. still is soaring 50 years later under the direction of his sons and grandchildren.

So, the answer to my question is .....yes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Oh hell!, Ken Washington?

I was shocked when you didn't get this first try.

https://www.texasfootball.com/hof-ken-washington?ref=search

As a three-year starter at quarterback, Washington threw for 4,014 career yards, the third-highest total in history for Texas' top classification at the time.  And, he was named first-team all-state and a member of Texas Football magazine's 1973 Super Team as a senior.  Although he was considered a blue-chip prospect, he signed with the North Texas State University.  Washington was named Missouri Valley Conference's Newcomer of the Year in 1974 and he was also named AP Co-Back of the Week after totaling 213 yards in offense against SMU in his collegiate debut.

• Upvote 1

Next Up:

Hint #1: This young man originally attended North Texas on an academic scholarship at the age of 16.  He tried out for the football team the next year as a RB but made the team as a back up DB.

Edited by UNTLifer

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I was shocked when you didn't get this first try.

https://www.texasfootball.com/hof-ken-washington?ref=search

As a three-year starter at quarterback, Washington threw for 4,014 career yards, the third-highest total in history for Texas' top classification at the time.  And, he was named first-team all-state and a member of Texas Football magazine's 1973 Super Team as a senior.  Although he was considered a blue-chip prospect, he signed with the North Texas State University.  Washington was named Missouri Valley Conference's Newcomer of the Year in 1974 and he was also named AP Co-Back of the Week after totaling 213 yards in offense against SMU in his collegiate debut.

Yeah, like a lot of people, I was focusing on the word "Back" and thinking of RB and not QB. Besides I don't remember him being on the "super team". I mainly remember that everyone talked about him being Joe Washington's little brother. And that the main reason he came to NT was because Hayden Fry promised him that he would play QB and not try to convert him to a RB or wide receiver.

And I attended the aforementioned game that got him co-back of the week. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, let's see. That describes about half of all the DB's that have ever played college football.

Found some more interesting information on this young man and changed the hint to...

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hint #1: This young man originally attended North Texas on an academic scholarship at the age of 16.  He tried out for the football team the next year as a RB but made the team as a back up DB.

This was much more interesting.

Oh, and not 40's-50's era.

5 hours ago, Marty said:

Robbie Gordon?

Nope.

Hint #3: Due to growth, he was moved from DB to DE during the fall of his junior year.

Note: The early posters on GMG.com, which consisted of a legal pad posted near the Union with a #2 pencil attached to write comments, were in an uproar due to this young man being moved from position to position.  They thought the coach  should be fired because he didn't know what he was doing.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope.

Hint #3: Due to growth, he was moved from DB to DE during the fall of his junior year.

Note: The early posters on GMG.com, which consisted of a legal pad posted near the Union with a #2 pencil attached to write comments, were in an uproar due to this young man being moved from position to position.  They thought the coach should be fired because he didn't know what he was doing.

Now you are describing Cedric Hardman or at least most of what I have always thought was the Cedric Hardman story. It is my understanding that he transferred to NT from a small Oklahoma College as a DB, then switched to RB, then LB and finally DE. I have NEVER heard that he came to NT on an academic scholarship.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Cedric Hardman is the answer. I took the story on the academic scholarship from his obituary I found online. 

https://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/obituaries/name/cedrick-hardman-obituary?pid=191798192&v=batesville&view=guestbook

Yeah, I found that. It had to have been written by a close family member. You don't often see someone mention that he was promoted from the 1st to 3rd grade in an obit.

addendum:

I like this story and quote from Mr. Hardman.

In the NFC Championship game, Hardman had a hand in five sacks in the 49ers’ 14-3 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

If someone were to get five sacks in the NFC Championship game today, they’d take his shoes, his helmet and send them straight to Canton,” Hardman said in the 2005 book, “San Francisco 49ers: Where Have You Gone?”

But we lost that game, so it wasn’t a big deal.”

Edited by SilverEagle