Group formed to bring back UNT baseball?

Jonnyeagle

On 8/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, HoustonEagle said:

A D1 college in Texas without baseball is idiotic.  YES we need baseball and if it meant cutting Track and Field entirely I am all for it.   I have never in my life watched a UNT track event nor have I checked the results.  I would watch UNT baseball and WHEN they make the CWS I would be glued to the TV.  It's a cheap sport in terms of scholarships and not terrible on travel.  Find the big money family that wants baseball and show them what their  name will look like on the stadium.  I realize we will always be pushing football but to say we have been throwing good money after bad is an understatement.  I do think we wait until we secure the donations for the facilities but then we need to go full speed ahead. I fear what we are doing is telling potential donors that we will not entertain the idea.  If I was one of those donors I would not then turn around and give that money to football if that is not where my heart is.  

A couple years ago I thought about the track thing myself(dropping it for baseball that is). Two issues I found. 1) Baseball is quite a bit more expensive than track at the insitutitons that sponsored both when I looked it up (and especially at the ones that try to be competitive in baseball). But more important, is track actually is considered three seperate NCAA sports (indoor track, outdoor track, cross-country). I believe we have the minimum number of sports at UNT so we would have to replace track with baseball and two other men's sports (no idea what it would be) but that would definitely end up costing quite bit. Online I found this.  

To compete in FBS, a school must compete in at least 16 varsity sports, including football.

Of those 16, at least six must be men's sports and at least eight must be women's sports.

UNT has exactly 16 sports. 6 men and 10 women teams. So dropping track would mean, adding 3 men's teams plus any women's teams that would have to be added for title ix.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

A couple years ago I thought about the track thing myself(dropping it for baseball that is). Two issues I found. 1) Baseball is quite a bit more expensive than track at the insitutitons that sponsored both when I looked it up (and especially at the ones that try to be competitive in baseball). But more important, is track actually is considered three seperate NCAA sports (indoor track, outdoor track, cross-country). I believe we have the minimum number of sports at UNT so we would have to replace track with baseball and two other men's sports (no idea what it would be) but that would definitely end up costing quite bit. Online I found this.  

To compete in FBS, a school must compete in at least 16 varsity sports, including football.

Of those 16, at least six must be men's sports and at least eight must be women's sports.

UNT has exactly 16 sports. 6 men and 10 women teams. So dropping track would mean, adding 3 men's teams plus any women's teams that would have to be added for title ix.

This group doesn't care about the details, they just want baseball.

• Thanks 1