Jump to content

Group formed to bring back UNT baseball?


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will they also be working on the funding and structure for the required Title 9 additions?

We are above the Title 9 requirements now.   UNT is majority female students.  Check the other CUSA schools that sponsor baseball and look at their other sports offered compared to us. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will they also be working on the funding and structure for the required Title 9 additions?

Required by who?  The NCAA doesn't enforce T9, it is the lawsuits from individuals that are the problem. 

Title 9 is the best thing to ever happen for women sports and the worse for men's athletics.

Nothing like a statue stating that women athletics funding should be portional to the numbers enrolled.   Not taken in account the financial aspects, or market.  The only two sports that have any hopes of generating a profit at most institutions are football and men's basketball.  

Of course because football has so many scholarships, it creates an enormous problem trying to balance women and men athletes.  Instead of increasing women ships, the overwhelming tactic has been to cut men's sports.  

I wonder why noone has ever challenged the NCAA on the basis of equality for men athletes in sports other than football and basketball.  Even MBB has less ships than WBB.  

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Their money and time would be better spent supporting/growing our new NIL Collective or MGSF. Baseball isn't going to advance our athletics department. 

Completely agree. Focus should be on fixing football before entering the AAC and funneling significant funds to McCasland’s basketball program to build us to a perineal Top 50 program. NIL Collective will be a big part of this

Nice that there is a group interested in baseball for UNT - but it’s an unnecessary distraction in the current D1 Athletics environment and should continue to be back burnered. 

  • Upvote 9
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Completely agree. Focus should be on fixing football before entering the AAC and funneling significant funds to McCasland’s basketball program to build us to a perineal Top 50 program. NIL Collective will be a big part of this

Nice that there is a group interested in baseball for UNT - but it’s an unnecessary distraction in the current D1 Athletics environment and should continue to be back burnered. 

This group doesn't care about anything but adding baseball, period.  That point has been brought up and they think the money spent on football is a waste.  They would be fine with us dropping back to FCS.  I know a few people involved and have stated to them that our department was underfunded for years and that the current focus is on getting our existing sports up to speed.  They don't care, just want baseball.  That is their passion, they believe North Texas could be a national power quickly based on location, and they don't care about anything else.  Basically, they are tired of being told it is "on the agenda but years away", so they are pushing forward.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This group doesn't care about anything but adding baseball, period.  That point has been brought up and they think the money spent on football is a waste.  They would be fine with us dropping back to FCS.  I know a few people involved and have stated to them that our department was underfunded for years and that the current focus is on getting our existing sports up to speed.  They don't care, just want baseball.  That is their passion, they believe North Texas could be a national power quickly based on location, and they don't care about anything else.  Basically, they are tire of being told it is "on the agenda but years away", so they are pushing forward.

Sounds like they don't care about the success of UNT as a whole and should be ignored until they can come up with the  millions of dollars it will cost to start the program.

 

  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Completely agree. Focus should be on fixing football before entering the AAC and funneling significant funds to McCasland’s basketball program to build us to a perineal Top 50 program. NIL Collective will be a big part of this

Nice that there is a group interested in baseball for UNT - but it’s an unnecessary distraction in the current D1 Athletics environment and should continue to be back burnered. 

I'm sure Wren has the exact same mindset.

Fire Littrell, hire a legitimate FB coach, expand facilities, and keep building basketball into a powerhouse

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm sure Wren has the exact same mindset.

Fire Littrell, hire a legitimate FB coach, expand facilities, and keep building basketball into a powerhouse

Yes, I'm sure Wren is rooting for another bad season of football. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you guys understand this.  Something very precious was taken away from these gentlemen.  They want it returned.  There is a lot of pride playing for your alma mater and it was not right that all of them lost their right to be lettermen etc.  and follow the program in their later years with their families.  Not everything is always a pure business decision sometime you have to do what IS RIGHT!  We owe them a chance to state their case in the very least.

Image

  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Sounds like they don't care about the success of UNT as a whole and should be ignored until they can come up with the  millions of dollars it will cost to start the program.

 

Not entirely true, but many of them have seen how our football program has performed historically and just don't ever see us competing on the same level with the likes of SMU, TCU, Tech, etc. much less Baylor, A&M, etc...  They think think we need to accept our "lot in life" and play an FCS schedule, basketball is what it is and add baseball that they think can become an instant power.  They haven't seen sustained success in football or basketball and think continuing to throw money in that direction is a waste of time and resources.  I disagree and have tried to explain that we should strive for excellence across the board.  They don't care and probably would be happy with just baseball at North Texas and nothing else.

22 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I don't think you guys understand this.  Something very precious was taken away from these gentlemen.  They want it returned.  There is a lot of pride playing for your alma mater and it was not right that all of them lost their right to be lettermen etc.  and follow the program in their later years with their families.  Not everything is always a pure business decision sometime you have to do what IS RIGHT!  We owe them a chance to state their case in the very least.

Image

This is very true of this group.  They are passionate about baseball, saw a little success when they put together a team and played on a half a shoestring budget.  They want it back and they want it to succeed.  Coach Rush is well connected in the baseball community.  He would be a great person to coach/lead the program if it were ever approved, but he also has suggestions for others that would also be good coaches to start our program.  I think they have spoken to Baker, but I don't know to what extent.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Their money and time would be better spent supporting/growing our new NIL Collective or MGSF. Baseball isn't going to advance our athletics department. 

Yeah man baseball hasnt proven it can advance any TX programs, just look at Rice, or Texas, or Texas Tech, or DBU, or TCU, or A&M, or

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

Yeah man baseball hasnt proven it can advance any TX programs, just look at Rice, or Texas, or Texas Tech, or DBU, or TCU, or A&M, or

Yes, I hear Vanderbilt wants to drop baseball since it doesn't do anything for their athletic program.  Maybe they can be a basketball school?

Think small = be small.

  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

We are above the Title 9 requirements now.   UNT is majority female students.  Check the other CUSA schools that sponsor baseball and look at their other sports offered compared to us. 

You may want to go back and listen to Wren’s interviews with Harry. Wren said something to the effect of “just because other schools don’t follow the rules doesn’t mean we won’t”. He then stated we would need to add 1-2 women’s sports BEFORE adding baseball.

Around the 50 minute mark.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

Yeah man baseball hasnt proven it can advance any TX programs, just look at Rice, or Texas, or Texas Tech, or DBU, or TCU, or A&M, or

Other than DBU whose programs count on Baseball to "advance" them? Too many people on here bitch and whine about the things we don't have and always want to complain.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You may want to go back and listen to Wren’s interviews with Harry. Wren said something to the effect of “just because other schools don’t follow the rules doesn’t mean we won’t”. He then stated we would need to add 1-2 women’s sports BEFORE adding baseball.

Around the 50 minute mark.

Seems some want to pick and choose what they want to believe

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, I hear Vanderbilt wants to drop baseball since it doesn't do anything for their athletic program.  Maybe they can be a basketball school?

Think small = be small.

I hear NMSU is being courted for their baseball team

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, I hear Vanderbilt wants to drop baseball since it doesn't do anything for their athletic program.  Maybe they can be a basketball school?

Think small = be small.

Did you hear about the multi-million dollar donation Texas State Athletics got after their baseball team beat the #1 ranked Texas Longhorns at UFCU Disch-Falk Field? Or after they set program records for wins, conference wins, and winning percentage? Or for winning the regular season conference title again? Or for making an appearance in the NCAA tournament for the first time in 11 years? 

No? Me neither.

  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 4

      FAU

    2. 5

      Non Conference Home Games

    3. 1

      Kansas Jayhawks

  • @UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds
  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,024
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    The Hill
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.