The downside to NIL

Tom McKrackin

With all that money, he probably dropped out of school and retired........

I for one, find this extremely amusing! These big time boosters (NIL contributors) will come to realize that they shouldn't drop all this money on kids that can simply walk away or not live up to their high expectations. I wasn't for paying players at first but now that the cat is out of the bag, im fine with it but I believe there needs to be limitations on these things money wise....

• Upvote 5

This is good for NIL. Help the market self-regulate.

Although you'd think being on the team could be a contractual requirement without it being considered pay for performance. It's one thing to not tie money to # of TDs or even being a starter. It's another to say you can't voluntarily quit the team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

63E569E5-37B7-4A73-8A78-1FF4E45D7067.jpeg.00166f2582355ccadb74b2945f06ff6c.jpegAt first, I mistakenly blamed the NCAA for the destruction of yet another sacred American institution as college football is to many of us. I did that not knowing it was the (present) destructive federal government (who takes better care of non-citizens over We the Taxpayers who get to pay for all their “free” stuff);  anyway, it’s been the federalis’ that had their greasy, bureaucratic fingers right in the middle of all this from the git-go. Then I thought about a slow boat to China & who all I wish were on it, especially the ones who keep biting the hands that feed them.  

* Then in a dream—I saw a giant Eagle that was chasing Asians (who kept looking back over their shoulders at Scrappy as they ran) & that’s when I woke up in a freakin’ cold sweat.
Addendum: In that same dream the Mean Green tore up UTEP at the Sun Bowl stadium & then shocked—                   S-M-U.  🐎 🦅

▶️I do think Men & Women varsity athletes deserve a nice stipend.  
63E569E5-37B7-4A73-8A78-1FF4E45D7067.jpeg.00166f2582355ccadb74b2945f06ff6c.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

But this was the intent of the NIL.  These athletes having the ability to earn money off of the use of their name, image and likeness.  The companies listed above made the decision to enter an agreement with Brennan and they are responsible to uphold their end of the deal.

What TX Tech, SMU and others are doing is paying kids to show up and play with basically zero use of their name, image or likeness and this was not the intent of the rule.  The NCAA, in all their weakness, rushed this through to make people happy and didn't think about all the possible scenarios and now we are just paying kids to put a uniform on and join the team regardless if we ever see their face or hear their name.

What I see occurring in examples like the one above with Brennan is these companies signing these kids but adding a clause based on playing time, etc.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Any payments should be totally based on the use of a player's "NIL".   If his name is used by media in stories, or photos of him in a play, then he gets credits towards payments.   No play, no pay.  Simple.

Not simple at all.  Who is going to track how much use a particular player NIL gets?  

The NCAA in fear of the Judiciary system has created an impossible to control situation.   Recruitment to the highest bidder is now the law of the land.  

The payer has purchased the right to use a players' NIL, does not matter if it is ever utilized. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

yeah... what's the downside here?

I mean...sort of my point. Downside for whom?

If these business want to invest in this...that's on them. If they don't put in clauses to protect their money...that's on them too.

This is exactly the "reason" people pushed for this. The kid had the power and used it to his financial benefit. 

Not seeing an issue here....

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Is this any different than an backup NFL QB never playing a down? They have their guaranteed money as well. I'd imagine NIL deals may become smaller with incentives for playing time, being on the roster past certain deadlines, etc... but otherwise, this isn't much different than any backup pro player retiring before the end of their contract even if they never played a down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The payer has purchased the right to use a players' NIL, does not matter if it is ever utilized. 

They should go ahead and use his name and likeness:  “At Raisin’ Canes, we don’t raise our chickens to be quitters like Brennan.  Our chickens are committed to the job so that you can enjoy a nice meal.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

But this was the intent of the NIL.  These athletes having the ability to earn money off of the use of their name, image and likeness.  The companies listed above made the decision to enter an agreement with Brennan and they are responsible to uphold their end of the deal.

What TX Tech, SMU and others are doing is paying kids to show up and play with basically zero use of their name, image or likeness and this was not the intent of the rule.  The NCAA, in all their weakness, rushed this through to make people happy and didn't think about all the possible scenarios and now we are just paying kids to put a uniform on and join the team regardless if we ever see their face or hear their name.

What I see occurring in examples like the one above with Brennan is these companies signing these kids but adding a clause based on playing time, etc.

Incorrect. The base pay model capitalizes on the NIL value of the ayers as a corporate unit together, this compensating NIL value that would otherwise go unused by the athlete. For example, am individual lineman has an NIL value of X, but the whole unit at an event on on a commercial is worth more than the sum of each individual. This is a wonderful tool for players to make full use of their rightful NIL.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Incorrect. The base pay model capitalizes on the NIL value of the ayers as a corporate unit together, this compensating NIL value that would otherwise go unused by the athlete. For example, am individual lineman has an NIL value of X, but the whole unit at an event on on a commercial is worth more than the sum of each individual. This is a wonderful tool for players to make full use of their rightful NIL.

That’s smu’s take so they can take advantage. Name, image and likeness is about the individual not a group. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Is this any different than an backup NFL QB never playing a down? They have their guaranteed money as well. I'd imagine NIL deals may become smaller with incentives for playing time, being on the roster past certain deadlines, etc... but otherwise, this isn't much different than any backup pro player retiring before the end of their contract even if they never played a down.

Does a backup NFL QB sign a marketing deal of any kind?  I don’t recall Cooper Rush making a pitch for Park Cities Ford or Haggar slacks. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

NIL is salaries disguised as marketing deals. Those donnors pay the bills. Let's call it like it is.

And this is my issue.  The intent of the NIL was to allow these young men and women to make some money marketing themselves.  It was not intended as a "salary", but the NCAA doesn't have the backbone  to enforce this as intended.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And this is my issue.  The intent of the NIL was to allow these young men and women to make some money marketing themselves.  It was not intended as a "salary", but the NCAA doesn't have the backbone  to enforce this as intended.

Exactly and thus my reason for comparing this situation to any other reserve pro athlete making money despite never playing a season game. I think we're quickly going to see boosters and companies treat it the same. Guaranteed salaries and then incentives for playing time, roster bonuses, etc... while having them appear in a commercial or displaying their products on Instagram to complete the other side of the NIL exchange. I think these boosters will self-regulate before the NCAA regulates them.

39 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree.

5 hours ago, RBP79 said:

So let's just throw out NIL and let the students unionize with base pay and incentives. Call it what it is Semi Pro athletics.

I also agree...I've often thought get rid of the "student athlete" charade. Especially at the larger schools. Pay them market value, hire and fire them. If they want to go to school and get a degree pay tuition like the kid that works for the campus Starbucks (another billion dollar corporation)

Pay Heisman winners $1 mil a year...fine. He gets hurt...put him on workers comp

• Upvote 3