SMU Fall Camp Scouting Report

Practice observations

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/styles/we_clearblue/imageset/icon_post_target.gifby PonyPride » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 pm

I am out of town this weekend, and therefore not at practice. But our friend JasonB went this morning, and compiled some observations to share with PonyFans.com and its readers. University policy prohibits discussion of specific position groups, specific plays, etc.

On behalf of PonyFans everywhere, thanks, JasonB!

Because this is only the fourth day of practice, I take all "first team/secondnd team" stuff with a huge grain of salt, because this is the time of camp where coaches are still experimenting with players in different positions before they really lock things down to get the best players on the field. Therefore, I am more focused on individual players at this stage. All of that said, here are my notes.

— Overall, the pace of practice is extremely fast — like really fast. They get a ton of reps in because of it.
QB Tanner Mordicai looks great. He has clearly worked a lot on his deep ball and making it more catchable rather than trying to throw the perfect pass every time. He has improved significantly from the spring. He threw a beautiful deep ball to WR Rashee Rice, who made a fingertip catch and ran it in for the touchdown. IMHO, Tanner is well ahead of the other QBs.
QB Kevin Jennings looks the real deal, but he is clearly behind Preston Stone. Both of them don't make as quick decisions as Mordecai and are forced to use their legs more. To be fair, some of that may be due to quick decision making, and some may be due to playing behind backup offensive linemen against a really deep defensive line.
— At WR, Rice loos like a pro. He looks like a true top class WR, and is going to have a monster year. He looks bigger, stronger, faster, runs great routes and catches the ball extremely well.
— Rice, Beau Corrales, Jake Bailey, Jordan Kerley, Dylan Goffney, Moochie Dixon, Roderick Daniels, Teddy Knox and Austin Upshaw all look like legit WR to me. It is a very deep WR core. A lot of folks have been talking up Dixon, Knox and Corrales as newcomers, but there are two others that stand out to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

great they have three qbs that are great and we are struggling to find an above average one.

How would you know they have 3 greats? Mordecai is very good but the other two are unproven with Preston Stone’s completion percentage being even worse than Aune’s although he has only attempted 7 passes with a putrid 3.4 yards per attempt. The SOC qb is a true freshman with no college experience yet. On paper, Gunnell would be better than both of their other guys. Heck, on paper, Aune was a better HS recruit than Jennings and has better college stats than Stone.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How would you know they have 3 greats? Mordecai is very good but the other two are unproven with Preston Stone’s completion percentage being even worse than Aune’s although he has only attempted 7 passes with a putrid 3.4 yards per attempt. The SOC qb is a true freshman with no college experience yet. On paper, Gunnell would be better than both of their other guys. Heck, on paper, Aune was a better HS recruit than Jennings and has better college stats than Stone.

The HS kid they just landed from SOC is a beast.  We offered him but landed his teammate the RB.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Wait, you mean a practice report written by one of SMU's 10 fans is giving glowing reviews of their players and team?   

mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

Ponyfans.com is pretty much a graveyard. I have a National subscription to 247 Sports and the relatively new site ON3. These sites are great for following high school recruiting and you can get info on any team in the country, by full time writers. I rarely look at the Ponyfans site anymore, but their fans have large numbers on the 2 sites mentioned above. Currently, the TCU site is entertaining because of the war with Tech fans. lol

• Eye Roll 1