DRC: UNT community mourning shooting death of former RB Michael Hickmon

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: UNT community mourning shooting death of former RB Michael Hickmon

What a gut punch, and that is putting it mildly.

I think we all see some incredible UNT football over the years but, if you're like me, you have a special attachment to the teams that fought for you while you were a student.

That was this era to me.  The greatest games I ever watched at Fouts.  Hickmon was like our secret weapon those years.  Always doing something magical when the game was on the line.  I can't think of any better example than the 2002 NMSU win.

Also, just seemed like a model human being.  Never had problems.  never ran his mouth.  Coaching the game he loves to the next generation.  And now, he's been shot in front of his own kid.  Just awful.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

The suspect has turned himself in.  Has a criminal past.

The Talib's are not good people.  The suspect and his brother that played in the NFL both have criminal histories.  Why they were ever allowed to coach youth is beyond me.  I guess the lure of being coached by a former NFL player is just so strong that certain parents are willing to overlook character issues. 

The more I think about and read about this incident, the more pissed off I get.  Supposedly, Yaqub Talib turned himself in so he could tell his side of the story.  Sorry, you POS, nothing at a youth football scrimmage justifies shooting the opposing coach.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The Talib's are not good people.  The suspect and his brother that played in the NFL both have criminal histories.  Why they were ever allowed to coach youth is beyond me.  I guess the lure of being coached by a former NFL player is just so strong that certain parents are willing to overlook character issues. 

The more I think about and read about this incident, the more pissed off I get.  Supposedly, Yaqub Talib turned himself in so he could tell his side of the story.  Sorry, you POS, nothing at a youth football scrimmage justifies shooting the opposing coach.

Yaqub's attorney is stating online that he felt his life was in danger and the use of the gun was in self defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 5

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Obviously the Youth Football Directors do not require Safeplay Certification in order to work with youths much less background checks. I have to do Safeplay Courses every 12 months and a background checks for officiating. Obviously the youth league just wants the money over safety of the kids.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Yaqub's attorney is stating online that he felt his life was in danger and the use of the gun was in self defense.

Concealed Carry Laws used to dictate that, by law, you cannot carry at a sporting event.

Not sure if that has changed, or how this might not even apply, being that it is so informal.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Concealed Carry Laws used to dictate that, by law, you cannot carry at a sporting event.

Not sure if that has changed, or how this might not even apply, being that it is so informal.

I think if this was not on school property, carrying would be permitted.

Not sure about this dude, though--was he a convicted felon?

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, UNTLifer said:

I always love to hear the suspect "tell their side" of the story as if it justifies their outrageous criminal behavior.  I had one last week try to claim self defense for repeatedly punching his 60+ year old father who walks with a cane.  He's lying there with multiple injuries, and you claim he was coming after you?  

Turn around, put your hands around your back...

• Upvote 5

On 8/16/2022 at 10:59 AM, UNTLifer said:

Of course he is.

I cant imagine how a defense attorney sleeps at night. They are usually having to defend a criminal, knowing they are sure to lose, but you're trying to figure out a way, or you know that they are guilty as hell and you make up stuff to keep them from being found guilty.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I cant imagine how a defense attorney sleeps at night. They are usually having to defend a criminal, knowing they are sure to lose, but you're trying to figure out a way, or you know that they are guilty as hell and you make up stuff to keep them from being found guilty.

For those of you old enough to remember the serial killer Henry Lee Lucas, his defense attorney in Denton spoke to my high school government class.  I think his name was Tom Whitlock.  Anyway, I asked how he could defend someone like that knowing that they had committed these crimes, and in Lucas' case, had admitted to the crime.  He told us that guilty or innocent, everyone deserves a fair trail and that their rights should be protected.  He knew he wasn't going to get Lucas set free, but he was basically there to steward him through the process.

I am sure he, and many other defense attorneys, also get paid large sums to gain innocence/freedom for their clients.  Not sure how they live with themselves at times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1